Search: Posts made by: Jim Macklin
Forum: Piloting February 2nd 08, 08:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Jim Macklin
Another weird YouTube plane video

It was a mid 80's production, 84 or 85 with the new panel.

The Continental injection system was adapted to
turbocharging. It uses a fixed fuel metering based on rpm,
throttle and mixture setting....
Forum: Piloting February 1st 08, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Jim Macklin
Another weird YouTube plane video

I flew a Beech P58 Baron into A-A Ranch in Wyoming many
years ago. The runway was below the snow line in the
summer. There was a 500-1,000 feet of generally level paved
surface, then a 1,000...
Forum: Piloting February 1st 08, 04:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Jim Macklin
Another weird YouTube plane video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNFNFZq2BFY

Swiss Alps in a Baron

"gatt" wrote in message

Forum: Piloting January 26th 08, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Macklin
C-152 spin characteristics

I recommend Kershner's instructor and aerobatic texts. Bill
Kershner probably did more spins in a C 150 teach than
anybody else.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Barry" wrote in message
Forum: Piloting January 16th 08, 11:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Jim Macklin
Commercial Written

Everybody navigates with dead reckoning when the electrons
stop.

"B A R R Y" wrote in message
| Paul Dow (Remove Caps in...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules January 16th 08, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Jim Macklin
Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

Weather was reported below minimums. Part 91 allows the PIC
to make the approach and land if you have the required
minimums.

Rwy 22L was open.

They don't "clear" you to do things when you are...
Forum: Piloting January 16th 08, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Jim Macklin
Phrase "landing runway" vs. "cleared to land"

Weather was reported below minimums. Part 91 allows the PIC
to make the approach and land if you have the required
minimums.

Rwy 22L was open.

They don't "clear" you to do things when you are...
Forum: Piloting January 15th 08, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Macklin
more confusion on cessna performance chart

roflol, what kinds of experiments are/were needed to prove
the axiom?

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
| It is a...
Forum: Piloting December 28th 07, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Macklin
737 Blown Across Ramp

Brakes should not be used to secure an airplane that is not attended, always
use chocks. An airline class airplane might be secured in strong winds with
chocks and a heavy tug with the tow...
Forum: Aerobatics December 27th 07, 07:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Jim Macklin
spins from coordinated flight

Flight is an art based on a science.

"Stefan" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin schrieb:
|
| I don't know of any...
Forum: Piloting December 27th 07, 07:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics

"Stefan" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin schrieb:
|
| I don't know of any...
Forum: Aerobatics December 27th 07, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Jim Macklin
spins from coordinated flight

I don't know of any autopilot that could be programmed to fly an aerobatic
maneuver based on predicted actions. Yet an autopilot can be designed to
observe and respond to the observed dynamic...
Forum: Piloting December 27th 07, 06:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Jim Macklin
spins from coordinated flight

I don't know of any autopilot that could be programmed to fly an aerobatic
maneuver based on predicted actions. Yet an autopilot can be designed to
observe and respond to the observed dynamic...
Forum: Aerobatics December 27th 07, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Jim Macklin
spins from coordinated flight

clarification edit inserted
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
| In my experience, a stall break while straight and...
Forum: Piloting December 27th 07, 06:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Jim Macklin
spins from coordinated flight

clarification edit inserted
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
| In my experience, a stall break while straight and...
Forum: Aerobatics December 27th 07, 06:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Jim Macklin
spins from coordinated flight

99% of the pilots will never have the ball centered all the way to a stall
break, it might look good 1/4 of a second before the break, but most pilots
stop actively flying when they start to feel...
Forum: Piloting December 27th 07, 06:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Jim Macklin
spins from coordinated flight

99% of the pilots will never have the ball centered all the way to a stall
break, it might look good 1/4 of a second before the break, but most pilots
stop actively flying when they start to feel...
Forum: Aerobatics December 27th 07, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Jim Macklin
spins from coordinated flight

In my experience, a stall break while straight and level or in a 60 degree
bank if perfectly coordinated will drop the nose straight down.
The kicker is that 98% of the pilots have lazy feet and...
Forum: Piloting December 27th 07, 06:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Jim Macklin
spins from coordinated flight

In my experience, a stall break while straight and level or in a 60 degree
bank if perfectly coordinated will drop the nose straight down.
The kicker is that 98% of the pilots have lazy feet and...
Forum: Piloting December 27th 07, 01:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Macklin
Merry Christmas and Lawn mowers

sarcastic humor.

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| Snowmobiles, snow blowers, chain saws clearing the trees...
Forum: Piloting December 27th 07, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Macklin
Merry Christmas and Lawn mowers

The standard square point dirt shovel is best for snow, it will also chop
ice. It won't break your back either. The big blade snow shovels work fine
with 1/2 inch of snow, but are nearly useless...
Forum: Piloting December 26th 07, 08:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Macklin
Help In Choosing A School For A Private Pilot's License

It really is true, 95% [made up number by guess] of flight students who get
a rating have learned at least to the 70% level on the knowledge and the
practical test is in the 90% skill range of...
Forum: Piloting December 26th 07, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Macklin
Help In Choosing A School For A Private Pilot's License

From the original post...
" So it is important that your instructors coordinate your lessons. It is
valuable to
fly with more than one instructor as you progress in your training."

Note the word...
Forum: Piloting December 26th 07, 08:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Macklin
Merry Christmas and Lawn mowers

Snowmobiles, snow blowers, chain saws clearing the trees that fell down due
to the ice, portable generators.

Bring back manual shovels in the winter, rakes in the summer and get rid of
the...
Forum: Piloting December 26th 07, 07:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Macklin
Help In Choosing A School For A Private Pilot's License

Right ON.