Search: Posts made by: Andrew Sarangan[_1_]
Forum: Piloting December 4th 06, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
MS Flight Sim As a Training Tool

I used to practice spins on MSFS on the default Cessna 182 many years
ago. I don't know if real 182's will spin or not, but this one did
quite nicely and realistically.

fromTheShadows wrote:
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 4th 06, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Question of aborted landing after instrument approach

Why is ODP an emergency procedure?

Sam Spade wrote:
Andrew Sarangan wrote:

That is a very good observation. I would be interested to know how many
airports there are where the...
Forum: Piloting December 4th 06, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
MS Flight Sim As a Training Tool

Logging has nothing to do with the realism of the simulator. We have
an ancient piece of crap at the FBO which is approved for logging
time. I consider most PC simulators to be far more realistic,...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 4th 06, 06:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Question of aborted landing after instrument approach

That is a very good observation. I would be interested to know how many
airports there are where the difference between a missed and a
departure procedure are significantly different to...
Forum: Piloting December 4th 06, 04:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Crosswind landing control..

There should never be any forward pressure on the yoke/stick during
landing. The yoke is always held back, never pushed forward. Perhaps
you mean reducing the back pressure. In that case, yes, it...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 3rd 06, 10:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Question of aborted landing after instrument approach

ATC will not issue a clearance to the departing traffic until you have
landed and cancelled your flight. So the scenario you propose is
unlikely to happen when weather is below VFR. However, you...
Forum: Piloting December 3rd 06, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Sport Pilot CFI and FAR's

It is on 61.415 (e)

wrote:
Hey guys,
Since I am a CFIG, 61.429 would allow me to teach at the sport pilot
glider level without getting the 5 hours of make and model time...
Forum: Piloting December 2nd 06, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
O2 Concentrator instead of O2 tank

If you evaporate water from a salt+water solution, does the
concentration of salt increase? Sure it does.

Think of nitrogen as the water, and the oxygen as the salt.

Jim Macklin wrote:
If you...
Forum: Piloting December 1st 06, 09:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
First Solo and Total Hours Flown

Patrick wrote:
I dont know why it would take over 30 hours to solo, and some as many
as 70? I soloed at 14 hours, but I hear the average is 20.

Age has a lot to do with it too. A teenager can...
Forum: Piloting December 1st 06, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
First Solo and Total Hours Flown

Peter Duniho wrote:
"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
All you need to fly an airplane is motivation,...
Forum: Piloting December 1st 06, 05:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
First Solo and Total Hours Flown

All you need to fly an airplane is motivation, perseverence, basic
intelligence, money and spare time. We are not talking about becoming a
Chuck Yeager or Niel Armstrong. Anyone with basic...
Forum: Piloting December 1st 06, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
First Solo and Total Hours Flown

I would love to see the 3-hour guy's logbook for all the 15 items
required by the FAR for solo. In fact, I would love to see the 5-hour
guy's logbook too.

george wrote:
Greengears wrote:

Forum: Piloting December 1st 06, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
First Solo and Total Hours Flown

This is exactly the type of comments that makes me sad to hear from
pilots - 'not everyone is cut out to be a pilot'. This attempts to make
the point that pilots are some kind of superior being.

As...
Forum: Piloting November 30th 06, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
First Solo and Total Hours Flown

birdog wrote:

While this is a rediculuous question, it fits right in with our current
political environment, in that the federal gov't. should dictate the number
of hours it SHALL take us to...
Forum: Piloting November 30th 06, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Icing conditions

Here are some questions MX has asked in the recent past:

- What is the reason for not having icing protection turned on all the
time?
- Can VFR fixes be used on IFR flight plans? (How many of us...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 30th 06, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Chicago area from the southwest - advice?

I have flown to Midway a few times in our club Archers. I found it to
be surprisingly easy. The controllers were very accomodating. We even
requested a downtown tour along the lakeshore. IFR is much...
Forum: Piloting November 30th 06, 03:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Chicago area from the southwest - advice?

I have flown to Midway a few times in our club Archers. I found it to
be surprisingly easy. The controllers were very accomodating. We even
requested a downtown tour along the lakeshore. IFR is much...
Forum: Piloting November 29th 06, 10:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Icing conditions

I am not sure why you guys are beating up the guy. He may not be a real
pilot, but I have not found his questions to be offensive, off-topic or
even ignorant. To the contrary, he has posed several...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 29th 06, 04:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Instrument Student Pilot Filing IFR

Actually, the only purpose I can think of for requiring the pilots name
is for search and rescue purposes. If it is for regulatory reasons,
then there should be a better way to make sure that no one...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 28th 06, 06:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Instrument Student Pilot Filing IFR

Technically the name on the flight plan must be that of the PIC, which
in this case is the CFII. However, I doubt that anyone would care whose
name is on the flight plan as long as there is a...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 28th 06, 04:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Did I violate an FAR?

A few other pieces of information might clarify the situation. Was this
approach at a tower controlled airport? If not, did you cancel IFR?

Anonymous coward #673 wrote:
The other day I was under...
Forum: Piloting November 24th 06, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Class D / Class C precedence

Roy Smith wrote:
"Andrew Sarangan" wrote:
This is described in AIM chapter 3. The rules for the more restrictive
airspace will apply when there is an overlap.

Forum: Piloting November 24th 06, 06:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Class D / Class C precedence

This is described in AIM chapter 3. The rules for the more restrictive
airspace will apply when there is an overlap.

An obvious example of this is restricted airspaces. The majority of
R-airspaces...
Forum: Piloting November 21st 06, 02:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Letters on Class B altitude indications on charts

Kingfish wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
If so, does this mean that I would ask for clearance into a
specific sector of the Class B now?

Does your flight sim talk to you now?

What has talking...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 21st 06, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Govt Plates

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, "Andrew Sarangan" said:
And, if/when users fees take root, those NACO charts will no longer be free.

That's a good point...