Forum: Soaring August 21st 17, 03:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Auto Towing a 1-26

We have only used the standard Schweizer chin hooks for auto towing 1-26s and 2-33s. We have auto towed Standard Libelle, Diamant 18, and DG 100 with CG hooks over the years. The Schweizers...
Forum: Soaring August 21st 17, 01:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Auto Towing a 1-26

Sorry for all the typos on prev. post. Cellphone, no spell checker. We found it not necessary or desirable to use a pilot chute or disk to increase drag on glider end tow rope as it falls after...
Forum: Soaring August 19th 17, 09:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Auto Towing a 1-26

Congratulations on getting the glider rating! Your 1-26 auto towing goal sounds reasonable. You do need some additional study and training with documentation of the requirements n the regulations...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 17, 05:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Will circular runways ever take off?

On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 4:53:51 PM UTC-7, Frank Whiteley wrote:
On Wednesday, March 22, 2017 at 11:24:42 AM UTC-6, wrote:
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:18:32 AM...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 17, 05:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Will circular runways ever take off?

On Thursday, March 23, 2017 at 11:31:26 PM UTC-7, Gert Bass wrote:
This might be a good idea for auto towing. We have 2800 ft of
straight runway at our gliderport. At 780 ft field elevation...
Forum: Soaring March 22nd 17, 06:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Will circular runways ever take off?

On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 11:18:32 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I saw this story and it reminded me, has anyone ever tried landing on a curved flat road or something similar to a...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 16, 10:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
My new book

A great job Gary. Good stories relating to the long suffering endured by Nancy and the kids and grandkids! The early pictures of Tulare and El Mirage are great.

I used the "Kindle Cloud Reader" that...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 14, 03:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Famous people in soaring

On Thursday, August 30, 2012 11:07:59 PM UTC-7, Ramy wrote:
While Neil Armstrong was one of the most famous glider pilots, he wasn't the only one.

Other famous people who where also glider...
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 14, 07:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Low Altitude Troubles

I believe that what really counts in determining the pivotal altitude is groundspeed rather than airspeed. So your equation to determine the pivotal altitude using airspeed applies only if there is...
Forum: Soaring December 4th 13, 07:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Commercial Glider Ground School Materials?

Please excuse the off topic post, but if it takes a while to get your VOR, I happen to have a pristine LORAN C unit available FS. Only used once in the 1998 (or maybe it was the 2000) US Open Class...
Forum: Soaring December 4th 13, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Commercial Glider Ground School Materials?

Which VOR are you getting? Portable or Brick? When are they shipping? Will it require a software upgrade or has development already matured?
Forum: Soaring October 28th 13, 01:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US-glider guiders only: Article in last Soaring

I dun had me a friend years ago what was a CHP here in Cali and what actuly liked flyin' gliders hisself ifin' you can believe that! One day he found out we was doin' auto tows down the highway a...
Forum: Soaring October 24th 13, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Famous people in soaring

On Thursday, May 16, 2013 6:10:27 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Susan Oliver, who played the character "Vina" in the "Star Trek" pilot

Forum: Soaring May 17th 13, 02:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Famous people in soaring

Susan Oliver, who played the character "Vina" in the "Star Trek" pilot

episode, had acquired a glider rating (as well as a number of other pilot

ratings.) See:
Forum: Soaring September 18th 12, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Famous people in soaring

On Saturday, September 15, 2012 5:04:38 PM UTC-7, Jim Logajan wrote:
Ramy wrote:

While Neil Armstrong was one of the most famous glider pilots, he

wasn't the only one. Other famous...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 12, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RASPs for 2012 WGC UVALDE

We have a couple of Dr. Jack RASPs running during the WGC at UVALDE.

This one has 4km resolution, English units, "variable" blipmap color scheme. There are soundings forecasts for a number of...
Forum: Soaring April 14th 09, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Almost 1,000 km in a 1-26!

On Apr 14, 11:23*am, Berry wrote:
Congrats! Way to go Ron!

What was it like standing on the rudder pedals all that time?

Does he have any tips on preventing blood clots? ...
Forum: Soaring April 11th 09, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Spratt

On Apr 10, 6:50*am, "Karl Striedieck" wrote:
With his family at his side, Charlie Spratt died at 7:30 this morning
(Friday).

A memorial celebration for The Gate will be...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 09, 07:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bad News Regarding Charlie Spratt

On Apr 3, 10:12*am, "Paul Remde" wrote:
I just received some very bad news regarding Charlie Spratt. *This is a very
tough letter to write.

If you don't know Charlie Spratt -...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 09, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Short Wings Gliders (25)

On Feb 1, 4:00*am, Dan Silent wrote:
At 03:09 28 January 2009, RRK wrote:

How many gliders with a wing span of 13.5 or less do you know?

1 * * * Apis-13 * * * * * *...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 09, 10:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Drop a day option for US regionals

On Jan 22, 7:54*am, wrote:
I don't particularly like the drop score idea, it can be annoying when
I have dealt with it in sailboat racing. *I do think adopting the
Forum: Soaring November 6th 08, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oximeters with alarms, data logging, and prices less than $300

On Nov 5, 3:39*pm, Eric Greenwell wrote:
I can't believe how cheap oximeters are getting. Standard fingertip
models are available for $50; fingertip and wrist units with...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 08, 07:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lift on the Sierras?

On Sep 8, 11:46*pm, Hellman wrote:
I fly a motor glider out of the San Francisco Bay Area and frequently
head over the Sierras to the good soaring. My question has to do...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 08, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boy Who Flew With Condors - Dick Johnson? Other Comments

On Sep 4, 9:00*am, wrote:
On Aug 27, 4:11*pm, wrote:

* While I am sure that many of the soaring types shown in the movie
are the real deal, did the...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 08, 05:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring