Search: Posts made by: Roy B.
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 17, 08:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Six gliders stolen - Aalborg Svæveflyveklub - gliding club in Denmark

There was a Libelle 201 stolen from Tanner-Hiller airport in Massachusetts in mid winter about 30 years ago. It was uninsured and never recovered.

There was also an EB-28 that had it's engine...
Forum: Soaring November 1st 17, 03:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Train Wreck

The good thing about Facebook is that you can decide to follow it or not. Nobody gets pulled in to a Facebook posting who didn't decide to be there. But when you post something tantalizingly called...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 17, 12:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cup holder

Yah Chip, I can related to that incident. Mine involved a large Italian cold cut sandwich with lots of shredded lettuce + a Nimbus 3 on the ridge at Mifflin.
I was finding lettuce shreds for the rest...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 17, 07:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cup holder

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 4:37:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anyone installed a cup holder on their glider? Pictures?

What I need is a place to keep my chopsticks (for the...
Forum: Soaring September 26th 17, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Oudie Supplemental Power Pack

Friends:
I am looking for a supplemental power pack that is easily rechargeable, reasonably compact, and will run my Oudie for 5+ hours on a single charge. Any suggestions?
ROY
Forum: Soaring September 24th 17, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Removing oxidation from Cobra trailer trim rubber and plastic fenders

Spindleberger catalog calls it "protection stripe"
Forum: Soaring September 24th 17, 07:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Removing oxidation from Cobra trailer trim rubber and plastic fenders

Hi Dave:
On my Nimbus I masked the trim and hit it with Krylon brand "Fusion" spray paint. It bonds to plastic well. Also - Spindleberger sells replacement trim if you like.
Roy
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 17, 02:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
trailer painting

20 years and 3 gliders ago, I needed a Schreder type aluminum trailer sanded & repainted. I took it to a guy who built racing stock cars in a shop next to his house. 1 week, $1000 cash green money,...
Forum: Soaring September 15th 17, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
L-13 AMOC

If you are really interested in how many gliders go into a container (modified for the purpose) here is a link to a photo essay I wrote last...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 17, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
L-13 AMOC

Does the AMOC require shipping the entire glider?
Or just the wings?
ROY
Forum: Soaring September 3rd 17, 02:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Looking for a" Run Out" 2-33 please.

Heinz:
Back in May the Springfield Vermont club (or perhaps the CAP operation) put one into the trees. It may still be available and close by to you. It was N1242S.
Good luck- thanks for keeping...
Forum: Soaring August 18th 17, 11:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Flying during a Solar Eclipse

All of you guys have way too much time on your hands . . .
ROY
Forum: Soaring August 12th 17, 10:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FIRC recomendatons

If you use American Flyers and go one chapter per session there is a work around for the timer: When you finish a chapter & quiz, open the next chapter then go offline. When you return for the next...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 17, 07:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Standards for competition reporting

Adrian
You make an excellent point. Part of the problem in the reporting of contests seems to be a reluctance for the "official" SSA contest page (which sometimes carries Contest Director reports and...
Forum: Soaring August 11th 17, 11:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Final Glide, Sam Francis

Friends:
I am saddened to report that Sam Francis, age 91, of Marion Massachusetts passed away on August 4. Sam was a mainstay of Soaring in New England for over a quarter of a century, an FAA...
Forum: Soaring August 7th 17, 09:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FIRC recomendatons

Bill:
It is OK to use one of the airplane CFI FIRCs ( I've used American Flyers with reasonable satisfaction). BUT if you would like to come to New England for a few days there is a glider specific...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 17, 01:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Radio Wanted

Bob;
Thanks for the advice, but I have a specific need for that specific radio, a Dittel FSG 71M.
ROY
Forum: Soaring July 25th 17, 12:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Radio Wanted

I am looking for a used DITTEL FSG 71M VHF radio in good working condition.
ROY
Forum: Soaring July 24th 17, 06:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

I use 3M brand double sided foam sticky tape for tail skids and wing tip skids. Cover the entire surface, trim with a sharp knife then stick together. Works fine - holds when it should and breaks...
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 17, 01:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Location of 2018 18m nationals?

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 8:30:48 PM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
Anybody know?
Thanks!

Dave
I understood that Burmuda High has bid on that contest.
ROY
Forum: Soaring July 17th 17, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Soaring and sailing: anyone successfully divide their timebetween the two, or better pursued as different life phases?

Paul:
I think it depends on your own personality and how fussy you are about the equipment you sail and fly. If you are really obsessive about the condition of the equipment, it drives you crazy to...
Forum: Soaring June 27th 17, 01:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
New House Thermal

OK - back to the subject at hand (solar farms as thermal generators). I'm not an engineer or physicist but I suspect that part of the consideration is the mass of the structure and it's ability to...
Forum: Soaring June 26th 17, 11:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
New House Thermal

Sorry to disappoint, but I have a glider in South Africa and fly regularly over the Letsatsi solar park which is a 247 acre solar farm north of Bloemfontein SA (on the Dealsville Road). It was built...
Forum: Soaring June 18th 17, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Gap seals effectiveness study?

My personal theory is that mylar seals were invented by the last guy who tried to take 20 year old white duct tape off of an open class glider wing. That's what we used to use on the underside in the...
Forum: Soaring June 10th 17, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Looking for an inexpensive compass (panel mount)

Blake:
I've got an AirPath top mount like new that I removed for my FLARM antenna and don't use. Will trade & ship for 5 rolls of 1" Bolus Maxi Tape.

Roy al) (remove 2 spaces for...