Search: Posts made by: Roy B.
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
ASG32MI water ballast

Jim:
The biggest advantage to gravity feed via the vent is that you can fill the tail after filling the wings. With fill through the dump valve you can't do that. Agreed that the dual tank in the...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
ASG32MI water ballast

Jonkers uses a modified garden sprayer that fills through the vent hole. You pump it and it squirts into the hole through a reduced hose. It works OK but it's another piece of stuff bouncing around...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

Mike's post brings back some good old memories. I soloed at North Conway back in 1973 before the airport became a shopping center & condo. It was right next to the little ridge that was the Mt....
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 01:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
ASG32MI water ballast

Pier
I had this problem with my '29 but not as bad as your situation. I figured that something was blocking the tail vent tube. I used a device called a "baby aspirator" (used to gently clean snot...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 18, 03:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Thanks Richard - very interesting. I would like to know how much time (labor hours) each step is taking.
ROY
Forum: Soaring October 11th 18, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

Cindy:
That is interesting, but wouldn't ATC want to divert high speed traffic away from the area below the glider in wave? That's a pretty big speed bump to hit at 500kts.
ROY
Forum: Soaring October 9th 18, 10:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Steve:
If you are going to do it (and you know I have my doubts) - a starting point might be to get the commercial ride operators to install video cameras and charge the customers extra for the video...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 04:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Hi Ramy:
Your issue about my data is a little besides the point I was making - but to answer your question I am in New England where I am a former SSA director and the Chief Pilot for the largest...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 03:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Steve:
let me briefly respond to your points - but in reverse order.

FLARM is an active and useful accident avoidance device - albeit at a cost. Yet everybody still resisted making it mandatory....
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 18, 02:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

"I'm only talking about giving up my privacy when I have a reportable accident."

Sorry Steve -but life and litigation don't work that way. Once you "mandate" the creation and maintenance of the...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 18, 01:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Anti-collision strobe lights

I've flown in the same sky with several gliders that have them and as RR says, they are only good for frontal spotting against a dark background. They are a good idea but just not bright enough.
ROY
Forum: Soaring September 16th 18, 01:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Tinted canopies

I've noticed no difference with sunglasses and a tinted canopy.

Here is a video posted on a different subject (incipient spins) on this site. But notice the difference in tint between the canopy and...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 18, 05:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Too many accidents

"First, I'd wind my watch..." meaning he would take a few seconds to think before acting.

The problem, WB, is that we are old enough to remember watches that wind.
Most of our students have never...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 18, 01:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Too many accidents

". . . there is a well known and recognized, fundamental reason for glider (all aviation) accidents. And that is, a demonstrable lack of knowledge.

Tom:
We can only wish that it were just so...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cause of accident revealed...

I just realized that the blonde in the blue dress is the sister of the famous Asiana Flight 214 reporter who first scooped her competitors with the names of the crew.
See:...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 07:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cause of accident revealed...

We need a contest rule and an FAA regulation banning the use of flux capacitors. They are dangerous! And anybody on RAS who disagrees is a flaming MORON or in the pocket of the flux capacitor...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 05:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Will a Blanik L13 open trailer work for an L23?

You will need to fool with the fittings a bit and make a holder for the horizontal stabilizer. On the L-13 the stab folds up but stays on. On the L-23 it removes.
ROY
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Pre Pan-American and 2018 Canadian National Gliding Competition

I've done four Canadian Nationals now and paid the Transport Canada fee each time. It's not really very difficult (they take credit cards over the phone) and it's easier than complying with the...
Forum: Soaring August 26th 18, 02:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Canopy opening in flight

On the ASH-25 it is possible to confuse the air vent with the forward canopy release (used for bail out when you pull both front & rear releases). If the forward release is pulled in flight the front...
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 18, 02:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Advice re. Nimbus 3 OR 4Dt?

Peter:
". . . while flying an unwieldy lump"

Thank you for that phrase - I will use it often in the future!

For what it is worth, the fully developed spin in the Nimbus 3 is not uncomfortable. The...
Forum: Soaring August 20th 18, 09:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Advice re. Nimbus 3 OR 4Dt?

John:
I've no experience with the N4 but the N3 is not so difficult to rig but it is very time consuming. The 10 l'hoteliere fittings (6 of which are completely "blind") take time and patience to...
Forum: Soaring July 19th 18, 12:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Top Meteo Format Change

My layout on Top Meteo changed completely this morning. Did everybody else's?
How do I get back to showing the regional map I used to use? All I can seem to find is the full US map.
ROY
Forum: Soaring July 19th 18, 12:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Home built trailer for old glass ship

John:
It's very hard to find an existing trailer that fits a fixed gear glider (like the Phoebus A) because the glider has to sit so high in the trailer. There is not enough space between the canopy...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 18, 12:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Dream Panel

Does nobody want an adsb-in receiver and traffic display?

Space is limited and Flarmview 2 does much of traffic display.
Roy