Search: Posts made by: Kenn Sebesta
Forum: Soaring June 15th 21, 04:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Russia AC-5M Engine Problem

Does it have a mixture control? If so check function.
UH

No mixture control. The Til;otson HR-194A carb is a automatic adjustment diaphragm type. There's a fuel shutoff valve but it's located...
Forum: Soaring June 15th 21, 04:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Russia AC-5M Engine Problem

Dieseling sounds bad. If there truly are deposits causing auto-ignition in your engine than that needs to be addressed ASAP, as that can lead to engine destruction within 60 seconds.

I wonder if you...
Forum: Soaring March 13th 21, 06:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Glidecoat.com Ceramic Coating for gel coat marine good for gliders?

On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 12:56:31 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Saturday, March 13, 2021 at 1:44:06 AM UTC-5, John wrote:
Fellow glider friends. My 6 year old Porsche just...
Forum: Soaring March 6th 21, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
$1 billion BMS Ooops...

On Saturday, March 6, 2021 at 2:03:25 PM UTC-5, Eric Greenwell wrote:
Kenn Sebesta wrote on 3/6/2021 10:31 AM:
I predict that people just want to launch. If we can use 8-10kg of 20C LiPos to...
Forum: Soaring March 6th 21, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
$1 billion BMS Ooops...

The glider discharge currents are nowhere near 50-80 times capacity, but more in the 4C range,
so the number of cycles should be much higher; also, you would rarely go to full discharge
(more...
Forum: Soaring March 5th 21, 03:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
$1 billion BMS Ooops...

On Friday, March 5, 2021 at 8:00:05 AM UTC-5, Hank Nixon wrote:
On Thursday, March 4, 2021 at 4:55:30 PM UTC-5, Kenn Sebesta wrote:
... There is a growing group of amateurs who are pulling...
Forum: Soaring March 4th 21, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
$1 billion BMS Ooops...

A hybrid system with a gas engine wouldn't have the pucker factor associated with starting a
gas powered motorglider to avoid a landing: if the hybrid engine doesn't start, it just means
your...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 21, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
National Parachute 20 + yr repack/inspection

On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 11:39:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Just had mine packed there yesterday!

DC
On Sunday, February 14, 2021 at 10:36:52 AM UTC-5, Gregg Ballou wrote:...
Forum: Soaring February 11th 21, 05:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Drag of Transponder Antennae compared

On Wednesday, February 10, 2021 at 5:47:39 PM UTC-5, Bob Hills wrote:
Thinking totally outside the box here and open to ridicule :).....

Blade antennas are similar in shape and size to a...
Forum: Soaring February 9th 21, 10:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
What is involved regulation wise adding an electric motor to a glider?

The net change for my '24E was 2 lb increase compared to condition before change, weighed without fuel.
Battery weighs 60 lb, 120V 5.75kwh.
Motor weighs 18 lb
Controller weighs 4-1/2
2...
Forum: Soaring February 8th 21, 12:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
What is involved regulation wise adding an electric motor to a glider?

David--

Here's a little bit of math for helping you wrap your head around this. The post is long, I apologize, but in my experience it's best to have the right numbers in hand before squaring off...
Forum: Soaring February 5th 21, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
USA automated panel-cutting service?

On Thursday, February 4, 2021 at 11:26:59 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I 3D printed a CNC machine (search for MPCNC and you'll find it quicker than typing a link) that uses 3D printer hardware...
Forum: Soaring February 5th 21, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
What is involved regulation wise adding an electric motor to a glider?

On Tuesday, February 2, 2021 at 4:26:10 PM UTC-5, David Scott wrote:
I DON'T mean to stir up trouble on this forum with this question, especially being new, but have been wondering about this for...
Forum: Soaring February 1st 21, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
USA automated panel-cutting service?

Another CAD package you can use that is FREE is ONSHAPE (onshape.com/en). It also has a bit of a learning curve (all capable CAD programs do) but for jobs of limited complexity, such as a console,...
Forum: Soaring December 18th 20, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Tow rope thimbles

On Friday, December 18, 2020 at 9:45:04 AM UTC-5, Stuart Venters wrote:
... a maximum acceptable rope strength

This is a bit of thread drift, but I think this is the elephant in the room and...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 20, 02:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Tow rope thimbles

On Wednesday, December 16, 2020 at 12:31:34 PM UTC-5, Bob Hills wrote:
What is the consensus of opinion of using steel thimbles on aero tow ropes?

Currently we use some clear tubing in the...
Forum: Soaring November 19th 20, 01:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Any AC-4/5 “Russia” owners out there?

There was a Yahoo Group for Russia sailplanes, it moved to some other service when Yahoo pulled the plug, I forget where?
I do have the s-tubes, I’ll keep an eye on it. I have the fairing kit...
Forum: Soaring November 12th 20, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
The Apology

As this thread winds down, I agree with Kimmine and Mitch Hudson, it's important that it not be buried what Chip and so many others have been concerned about. Here are the relevant quotes:

"Yet she...
Forum: Soaring November 6th 20, 07:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Gliding Club Experiences

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 5:36:59 PM UTC-5, waremark wrote:
What would you think was a reasonable proportion for a student at a volunteer operated club?

I don't really have a strong...
Forum: Soaring November 6th 20, 07:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Sticking altimeter

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 4:28:54 PM UTC-5, Mike Reid wrote:
You're just flying too smoothly.

About my flying, said to no one ever. :D

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 4:44:13 PM UTC-5,...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 20, 08:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Sticking altimeter

My altimeter in my AC-5M is sticking. It works fine when the engine is on or when you tap on the window, but otherwise when gliding it gets stuck up to 100' worth. I suspect that a rebuild will cost...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 20, 07:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
First of the phony polls to be exposed: Florida

On Thursday, November 5, 2020 at 4:10:55 AM UTC-5, jpg... wrote:
Before I block this thread may I remind US readers that RAS is an international open group and not the place for people to vent...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 20, 02:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
The Apology

Kenn, it would be my pleasure to have you to represent the soaring community... book the flight ASAP, I will pay for the trip down.

Bob--

I really appreciate the offer. I admire that you don't...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 20, 02:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
The Apology

Mr. Bart--

I spent a fair amount of my life in a post-communist country, I have seen some of what you talk about.*Sighetu Marmației was a terrible place. However, I've also seen how chauvinistic...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 20, 02:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Kenn Sebesta
Gliding Club Experiences

On Friday, October 30, 2020 at 11:20:51 PM UTC-4, Patrick wrote:
Hello Gliders,

I wanted to make this post to see other pilots experiences at their local gliding clubs. My experience at...