Search: Posts made by: Anthony W
Forum: Home Built September 2nd 09, 05:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Moller /Skycar in Afghanistan?

Bob Fry wrote:
Moller is an amazing, clever fellow. Not with the "skycar"...with
scamming money for it. Now he's trying to get the military to fund
it...might work.

Perhaps if you put enough...
Forum: Home Built September 2nd 09, 05:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Loosing my newsgroup feed

Thanx all. You guys never fail to amaze me...

Tony
Forum: Home Built September 2nd 09, 05:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Loosing my newsgroup feed

BobR wrote:

Hell, just go to Google and Groups. Sign up for those newsgroups you
want and you can both read and post to them without using any
subscription service or special reader.

Forum: Home Built September 2nd 09, 05:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Loosing my newsgroup feed

Morgans wrote:
There are a number of free newsgroup servers you can access. I use the
one Charter (my ISP)carries, but it is often unreliable. I also use
nntp.aioe.org as a backup, which...
Forum: Home Built September 2nd 09, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Loosing my newsgroup feed

I got an eMail from Verizon this morning saying that they are dropping
their news server.

I'm not going to pay for a subscription to a newsgroup service for 2
groups so my question to the group...
Forum: Home Built August 19th 09, 04:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Home machining

Stealth Pilot wrote:
btw Anthony an old lathe like a South Bend, if it is good condition is
a very good buy. my own lathe is a Hercus clone of the southbend
produced just after the second world...
Forum: Home Built August 17th 09, 11:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Home machining

Stealth Pilot wrote:
I'm a lousy dentist.
what's the project?

Stealth Pilot

I'm converting auto electronic ignition parts for use on old
motorcycles. I will be making a reluctor to...
Forum: Home Built August 16th 09, 06:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Home machining

Stealth Pilot wrote:
Tony you could always post your questions here.
there are a few knowledgeable builders here believe it or not.

Stealth Pilot

Actually I do believe it. This is the...
Forum: Home Built August 16th 09, 06:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Home machining

Flash wrote:
Lately the signal to noise ratio has gone sour, but

rec,crafts.metalworking

has been pretty fair, too. Lots of knowledgeable people still there, but an
increasing number...
Forum: Home Built August 15th 09, 11:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Home machining

Thanx guys I have book marked those pages.

Tony
Forum: Home Built August 15th 09, 03:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Home machining

Can anyone recommend a good forum for home machine work? Not the news
group, that's a madhouse...

Tony
Forum: Home Built July 16th 09, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Email Problems Again

I've had my web hosting at Yahoo for 5 or 6 years now and it's always
been cheap, reliable and fast.

Tony

Veeduber wrote:
Dear Friends,

Remember last fall, when I was ****in' an' moaning...
Forum: Home Built July 13th 09, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Continental A-65 engine stall?

Scott wrote:
Yes, I was concerned about the doorsprings corroding and breaking pieces
off to be ingested into the carburetor since there isn't any sort of
filter in the "warm" air path...
Forum: Home Built June 12th 09, 02:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Paint touchup on Magnesium

jl wrote:
On Jun 11, 2:44 am, "Roger (K8RI)" wrote:
I need to do some touch up on Magnesium with a few bare spots.
What's a good prep and primer for said areas?

Forum: Home Built June 9th 09, 12:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Alt. question

Residual magnetism is a minuscule compared to the draw of only the dash
lights. Besides if you cut the feed to the power wire, where is it
going to go?

Tony

wrote:
On Jun...
Forum: Home Built June 8th 09, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
Alt. question

It would be impossible for the alternator to continue to make power if
the wire to it were disconnected. There would be no power to the field
coil and therefor no output. Even if it were to...
Forum: Home Built June 1st 09, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
The Home-made Home-builders Engine

cavelamb wrote:
Anthony W wrote:
cavelamb wrote:

Second to the fin heat limits, that's the biggest problem with VWs.
The cylinder (and head) hold downs just thread into the...
Forum: Home Built June 1st 09, 09:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

cavelamb wrote:

Second to the fin heat limits, that's the biggest problem with VWs.
The cylinder (and head) hold downs just thread into the case.

That problem is solved with over sized case...
Forum: Home Built June 1st 09, 01:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
The Home-made Home-builders Engine

Jerry Wass wrote:

Using a V-8 crankshaft would result in a weird firing order..(A 4 cyl
crank has 4 throws 180ºapart===-The V-8 has 4 throws spaced 90º apart.)
Jerry

I guess that brings us...
Forum: Home Built May 31st 09, 08:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
The Home-made Home-builders Engine

wrote:

If I'm looking at this properly a standard VW water-cooled inline
crank (or most any similar 5 main bearing inline 4 crank) can be used
in a 90 deg. "V" 4. This...
Forum: Home Built May 24th 09, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
AN ENGINE FOR HOMEBUILDERS

Morgans wrote:
"Anthony W" wrote
I'd rather use a Harley belt primary drive. It's an off the shelf set up
that would require minimal machining to adapt to the...
Forum: Home Built May 24th 09, 09:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
AN ENGINE FOR HOMEBUILDERS

Morgans wrote:
"Anthony W" wrote
Ford used a set up like this in the transfer case on some 4 wheel drive
trucks so the parts could be available that way...

The...
Forum: Home Built May 23rd 09, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
AN ENGINE FOR HOMEBUILDERS

wrote:
Geschwender used the Morris Hy-Vo chain in his redrives, and they
worked well. That chain has teeth that engage sprockets that look like
gears instead of...
Forum: Home Built May 17th 09, 10:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
what engines are making successful aero engine conversions?

Bob wrote:
On May 16, 11:42 pm, Anthony W wrote:
It's the VW problem
all over again. And as has already be discussed, casting cylinder heads
is no easy job.
Forum: Home Built May 17th 09, 07:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Posted By Anthony W
what engines are making successful aero engine conversions?

Morgans wrote:
How about a Harley Davidson motorcycle engine? I see some guy has been
using one for airplane use.

It seems like it would have a lot of things going for it. Air and oil