Search: Posts made by: Walt Connelly
Forum: Soaring September 17th 19, 02:35 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
There is NO foolproof system, if the glider kites...

There is NO foolproof system, if the glider kites suddenly at a low enough altitude the tow plane will go in with potentially catastrophic results. I'm not talking about the slow, annoying type of...
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 03:07 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
"Trying to decide if it's worth the...

"Trying to decide if it's worth the time/money?" Time and money should not enter into the equation when the life of your tow pilot may depend on the TOST release. If you don't care about the life...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 19, 09:19 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
To whom it may concern, I received a...

To whom it may concern,

I received a private message from someone tell me to SHUT UP. I also believe another poster was included in the same message. Somehow that message has been erased or...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 19, 02:12 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
I'm sure everyone hopes that SLGP will remain an...

I'm sure everyone hopes that SLGP will remain an active and viable GliderPort for years to come. While there is no love lost between myself and SLGP I too hope to see it continue and thrive. One...
Forum: Soaring August 24th 19, 03:45 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
I agree and a fine soaring facility. Glad to see...

I agree and a fine soaring facility. Glad to see they are putting some money in the tow planes, that was badly needed. Rich is a good soldier and semantically gifted but that's a Naval Officer...
Forum: Soaring August 23rd 19, 01:20 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Nice to see a couple of bucks being spent on the...

Nice to see a couple of bucks being spent on the tow planes. I remember having to argue with someone over ordering a mixtue cable a couple of weeks after the request was made. Two NEW ASK21s? WOW....
Forum: Soaring August 23rd 19, 01:06 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Bob, Rich will soon be available to write...

Bob,

Rich will soon be available to write resumes and Linkedin profiles at a premium price but guaranteed to land you an executive position with a Fortune 500 company. I needed a good chuckle this...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 19, 01:37 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Bob, the system on your Yellow Gorilla should be...

Bob, the system on your Yellow Gorilla should be the standard throughout the towing world. Everyone agrees the handle down, parallel to the floor is difficult to access in an emergency and unsafe....
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 19, 02:40 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
The Schweizer hook is limited to a 1200 lb rope...

The Schweizer hook is limited to a 1200 lb rope which by the 80-200 rule would limit the max gross weight of the glider in tow to 1500 lbs. This came from the Schweizer factory recommendations. You...
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 19, 02:32 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Your characterization of my "whining"...

Your characterization of my "whining" to a higher power speaks of one unconcerned with safety. I pointed out clearly the glaring knowledge of a problem which has resulted in the death of tow pilots....
Forum: Soaring May 1st 19, 01:28 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
In the FAA Advisory Circular, Date 3/3/08 AC No...

In the FAA Advisory Circular, Date 3/3/08 AC No 43.13-2b, Page 76, Par 808 states as follows:

WHEN THE GLIDER UNDER TOW OPERATES ABOVE A CERTAIN ANGLE TO THE TOW PLANE, THE RING MAY SLIDE...
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 19, 02:03 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Ernst, I agree with your comments, these...

Ernst, I agree with your comments, these accidents are preventable in the circumstances as you stated. I was well aware of the USAFA accident, I referenced this in a recent contentious discussion. ...
Forum: Soaring March 1st 19, 02:49 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
I've experienced a kiting at 2K feet which was...

I've experienced a kiting at 2K feet which was the fault of the glider pilot reaching for the release, slipping back in his seat and pulling back on the stick. It happens in the wink of an eye and...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 19, 12:32 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Where does one find the information regarding the...

Where does one find the information regarding the "accident docket" you mention?

Walt Connelly
Forum: Soaring February 25th 19, 02:30 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Very interesting and enlightening. I will do my...

Very interesting and enlightening. I will do my best to control the unfiltered aspect of my personality with my response.

As a former tow pilot with just short of 7000 tows I can say I have...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 17, 05:25 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
While Mihai might not be the most savory...

While Mihai might not be the most savory character I have ever known he is nonetheless the owner of record of SLGP. He existed and lived under his own name and no one was aiding and abetting him in...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 17, 02:20 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Not sure what you are trying to say here Charlie....

Not sure what you are trying to say here Charlie. I've read the posts and...?
Forum: Soaring July 1st 17, 01:44 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Gregg, I am quite confident that you are the kind...

Gregg, I am quite confident that you are the kind of guy who starts a fight and then runs. Glad you are "confidant." I am very confident. I am trying to approach this situation while doing as little...
Forum: Soaring July 1st 17, 01:08 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Correct me if I'm wrong but did I not see a Husky...

Correct me if I'm wrong but did I not see a Husky with a Tost hook at the Seniors?

Walt
Forum: Soaring June 30th 17, 02:26 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Yes Mr Ludeman, there is a death rate associated...

Yes Mr Ludeman, there is a death rate associated with asprin and lying in bed. In the case of aspirin if you have a compromised GI Tract or if you take too much you can develop GI bleeding which can...
Forum: Soaring June 30th 17, 01:19 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
As I have said, "we do not know what we do...

As I have said, "we do not know what we do not know." I am told time and time again that no installation can be done and no modification to an installation can be made without proper authorization...
Forum: Soaring June 30th 17, 01:14 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
I never saw the breast, wing, roll and hard...

I never saw the breast, wing, roll and hard boiled egg for a quarter. I favored the "do it yourself, roast beef box." Four pieces of white bread, a few slices of roast beef, (at least that's what...
Forum: Soaring June 28th 17, 01:26 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Dave, Thank you, I truly loved towing...

Dave,

Thank you, I truly loved towing skilled pilots, students and the geriatric crowd not so much but such is life.

As an old retiree I am not aware of all the avenues available for...
Forum: Soaring June 27th 17, 04:05 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Dan, I don't take anything personally, i am...

Dan,

I don't take anything personally, i am not a person.

I am all about math and science but I did see the humor in this comment and I am sure that Tom meant it that way. During the...
Forum: Soaring June 27th 17, 03:55 PM
Posted By Walt Connelly
Good Morning Tom, Hope all is well with...

Good Morning Tom,

Hope all is well with 711. Two of the great facts of life is that we don't know what we don't know and what you don't know can kill you.

When I was asked to tow at...