Search: Posts made by: Jim Stewart
Forum: Home Built March 18th 10, 10:17 PM Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight
Posted By Jim Stewart
DIY Two-Stroke Engine

Tim Wescott wrote:
Grider Pirate wrote:
On Mar 14, 11:30 pm, durabol wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I meant for ultralight or light aircraft
with 20-40hp from 1...
Forum: Home Built March 17th 10, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Posted By Jim Stewart
DIY Two-Stroke Engine Construction Methods

Ed Huntress wrote:

The plain aluminum cylinders used in the Vega and the Porsche 928 used a
hypereutectoid silicon-aluminum alloy that precipitated crystals of silicon
when they cooled after...
Forum: Home Built March 12th 10, 05:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Posted By Jim Stewart
DIY Two-Stroke Engine Construction Methods

Oliver Arend wrote:
not sure what they do with ultralights, or light sport...

LSA in the US (and any country that adopted these rules, I presume)
require their engines to comply with the...
Forum: Home Built March 12th 10, 01:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Posted By Jim Stewart
DIY Two-Stroke Engine Construction Methods

Garry O wrote:
"Garry O" wrote in message
"Tim Wescott" wrote in message
Forum: Home Built March 11th 10, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Posted By Jim Stewart
DIY Two-Stroke Engine Construction Methods

cavelamb wrote:
wrote:
On Mar 11, 8:17 am, Charles Vincent wrote:

When did this start???
Which? Stupidity on the internet or stupidity in...
Forum: Home Built March 11th 10, 03:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Posted By Jim Stewart
DIY Two-Stroke Engine Construction Methods

cavelamb wrote:
frank wrote:

Anything that flies a person has to be certified by the FAA anyway.
Especially homebuilts due to some fatal crashes early on.

When did this start???

It...
Forum: Home Built March 11th 10, 12:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Posted By Jim Stewart
DIY Two-Stroke Engine Construction Methods

Jim Logajan wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
And always fly within an easy glide of a landing strip...
That's a given. The...
Forum: Home Built March 10th 10, 11:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering

Tim Wescott wrote:

And always fly within an easy glide of a landing strip...

That's a given. The problem is an engine out on takeoff
climb. With an ultralight, it's very difficult...
Forum: Home Built March 10th 10, 10:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering
Posted By Jim Stewart
DIY Two-Stroke Engine Construction Methods

Tim Wescott wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
durabol wrote:
The two main methods for homebuilt construction would be casting vs.
machining or some combination of both (probably the best...
Forum: Home Built March 10th 10, 08:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering

Tim Wescott wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote:
durabol wrote:
The two main methods for homebuilt construction would be casting vs.
machining or some combination of both (probably the best...
Forum: Home Built March 10th 10, 07:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.ultralight,rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.models.scale,uk.rec.models.engineering

durabol wrote:
The two main methods for homebuilt construction would be casting vs.
machining or some combination of both (probably the best option).
Forging probably isn't appropriate for home...
Forum: Soaring December 14th 09, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ultralight
Posted By Jim Stewart
E-Z Copter

AndersP wrote:
AndersP wrote:
Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 22:44:34 -0800, stephanevdv wrote:

Well, when I look at all the other projects sold on that website, it
Forum: Piloting September 17th 09, 11:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Jim Stewart
Runway incursions

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
Morgans wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote

A clearance is required to operate on a taxiway, operating on a
taxiway without a...
Forum: Piloting December 12th 08, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Stewart
Anti-skid brakes on light aircraft

wrote:
In rec.aviation.piloting Mxsmanic wrote:
Do small Q-class aircraft usually have anti-skid braking systems?

There is no such thing as...
Forum: Owning December 5th 08, 08:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Jim Stewart
Fundamentals of Stall Recovery

Dave S wrote:
Nice..

now.. go out there and DO it..

Theory and practice are two different things..

Unlikely that he/she can even fly. Its all just a
big cut-and-paste from the FAA...
Forum: Aviation Marketplace September 22nd 08, 06:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.marketplace
Posted By Jim Stewart
Looking for retired/used airport beacon

denny wrote:
I am a collector looking for the following models of retired/used
airport beacons in good condition:
Crouse Hinds DCB-10
Honeywell GEA30-4
Honeywell GEA30-2
If anyone knows...
Forum: Owning July 18th 08, 05:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Jim Stewart
High time airframe question

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Jul 17, 3:45 pm, "Mike" wrote:

Many people seem to care about aircraft total time, so obviously it does
affect resale to some extent and...
Forum: Owning July 7th 08, 11:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Jim Stewart
True Cost Of Twin Ownership

~^ beancounter ~^ wrote:
" when flying IFR that if I loose an engine
I've got some better options than with a single"

the accident data does not support that....

Attributions should be left...
Forum: Owning July 2nd 08, 12:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Posted By Jim Stewart
California Fires

Tri-Pacer wrote:
We just finished driving from San Diego to Tacoma WA. I had planned to bring
my VFR Tri-Pacer down to Brown Field near San Diego California. I found the
entire state of...
Forum: Piloting June 27th 08, 09:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Jim Stewart
Another LITS O' HATE Bertie's Supporters and Sockpuppets- Vol 2

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
Jim Stewart wrote in
:

Maxwell wrote:
In article ,...
Forum: Piloting June 27th 08, 07:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.fan.karl-malden.nose,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Posted By Jim Stewart
Another LITS O' HATE Bertie's Supporters and Sockpuppets- Vol 2

Maxwell wrote:
In article , Maxwell says...

Sockpuppets in no particular order -

Jim Stewart

A sockkpuppet no less. I'm better than I...
Forum: Piloting June 26th 08, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Jim Stewart
Future of Electronics In Aviation

On 2008-06-26, Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
He also showed me a miniature camera with 700+x400+ (forget exact
resolution). Cost was about $100. I asked him...
Forum: Piloting June 24th 08, 12:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Posted By Jim Stewart
Future of Electronics In Aviation

B A R R Y wrote:
On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 15:33:29 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

If lapin wanted to do anything other than
argue in circles, he'd get off his ass and
Forum: Piloting June 23rd 08, 11:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

wrote:
In rec.aviation.piloting Le Chaud Lapin wrote:
On Jun 23, 4:35?pm, wrote:
In rec.aviation.piloting Le Chaud...
Forum: Piloting June 23rd 08, 06:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student

Le Chaud Lapin wrote:

From: Le Chaud Lapin

Many of these...