Search: Posts made by: JD Williams
Forum: Soaring August 18th 19, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

John,

How did you make it? 3D print? Thats a perfect solution!
JD
Forum: Soaring August 3rd 19, 03:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

The phoebus connections are made outside the fuselage, if dropped the pins fall to the ground. I keep mine in an altoid tin along with the pin for the Jesus rod. Gives me one more positive check...
Forum: Soaring July 7th 18, 05:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
Soaring rides in Tahoe

I did a local area/equipment check ride and flew Soaring NVs ASK 21. Found them to be a well run and friendly operation. I am one of those folks that's uncomfortable with new places and people, but...
Forum: Soaring April 13th 18, 12:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
Phoebus A as a first glider

There are things that you want to know about the Phoebus. Bruno spent about an hour on the phone with me before I bought mine. I'm happy to do the same with you. They get a bad rap which I think is...
Forum: Soaring January 22nd 18, 03:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
Ground School Presentation Materials

Hi Bill,

I used Russell Holtz's books with my club instructors when I was starting out. The chapters are well structured and the quizzes at the end help drive discussion as well as provide sense of...
Forum: Soaring January 19th 18, 12:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
How Many Clubs Still Have A 1-26?

Merlin Soaring in central VA has one (E model #655 I think) that we have been restoring. Expect it to be back in service this spring!
Forum: Soaring September 17th 17, 04:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
Fligth Time Calculator

The olc detail page has the correct flight time info, but the logbook does not. I use 3 min increments and go digital but .05. Much easier.
JD
Forum: Soaring February 28th 16, 08:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
e Reader options for xc soar?

I have been running a kobo mini for a year or so (white frame). I run an external GPS puck and a two to one connector to link both with ships power. Occasionally it goes nutty and stops responding...
Forum: Soaring February 27th 16, 11:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
Please write book

In addition to Dan's point about condor, you can also slave a variety of glide computers to the condor nema output. This lets you fly with, and tweak, your computer. You can be as heads down as you...
Forum: Soaring January 11th 16, 05:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
We have lost another soaring pioneer

Our club trains in a 2-33, it's where I started to learn soaring and where my daughter is beginning her path. Graduated to many fun hours in a 26. My private checkride was in Bermuda High's 33. My...
Forum: Soaring November 9th 15, 04:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
flywithCE and Widows 10

Sorry, Dan, no help here. My win7 to 10 upgrade went well and flywithce works fine. Good luck!
Forum: Soaring September 20th 15, 03:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
General Questions (Trailer/Trailering)

Same as Robert, over the top. The strap clamp is just off the floor. I have a spring loaded tail wheel, when its down off the spring, I know its set.
Forum: Soaring September 19th 15, 01:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
General Questions (Trailer/Trailering)

Hi Casey,

My trailer came with a tie strap for the tail (previous owner improvement). It's a light weight nylon strap and has a wool sleeve (I think it is an aftermarket comfort item you put on your...
Forum: Soaring August 24th 15, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
Open Bearing Question

Thanks, Uli! I'll take care of that next weekend.
Forum: Soaring August 24th 15, 01:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
Open Bearing Question

During my first annual with my Phoebus A1, we were looking at the rudder control arm connection and noticed an odd bearing. It's designed to move in multiple axes, so it seems like the bearings...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 15, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By JD Williams
Are you interested in building a Condor Photorealistic Scenery?

I'd like to give it a shot. Tried on my own a while back but didn't have the time to chase down all the rabbit holes. If you think you have it sussed, I'd love to check it out!
JD