Search: Posts made by: krasw
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 18, 08:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Landing with reduced airbrake

Yes, occasionally outlanding requires flying over obstacles like trees. And occasionally the field is shorter than your home airfield. Then you would probably make full airbrakes approach.
Forum: Soaring May 21st 18, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Reducing collision hazard at contests

On Sunday, 20 May 2018 02:47:53 UTC+3, Steve Koerner wrote:
Thanks for the many considered responses here that came from competition pilots. It is good to know that the US proposal to FAI was...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 18, 07:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Better self rigging system

On Sunday, 13 May 2018 13:48:50 UTC+3, Steve Cameron wrote:
I'm sure someone has come up with a much more user friendly system for self rigging vs. what I'm currently doing. My new to me DG400 is...
Forum: Soaring May 12th 18, 07:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

On Saturday, 12 May 2018 06:16:40 UTC+3, wrote:
I have no reason to doubt the manufaturers claims, can you present any actual facts?

My LFP batteries died in 1,5 and 3 years...
Forum: Soaring May 12th 18, 07:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Club Class gliders and Handicaps in Polish Nationals June 2018

On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 18:00:07 UTC+3, Paul T wrote:
At 14:44 09 May 2018, Paul T wrote:

The FAI Club classs list is at
https://www.fai.org/sites/default/files/sc3ah_2018a.pdf...
Forum: Soaring May 9th 18, 03:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, 9 May 2018 17:45:07 UTC+3, Paul T wrote:

The FAI Club classs list is at
https://www.fai.org/sites/default/files/sc3ah_2018a.pdf .

The new 'silly list' designed by guys...
Forum: Soaring May 9th 18, 08:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Moving Gliders

keskiviikko 9. toukokuuta 2018 4.49.57 UTC+3 Paul Agnew kirjoitti:
Best practices for moving gliders around?

Stacking the hangar...

Staging...

Clearing the runway...

Forum: Soaring May 9th 18, 08:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Spot or InReach ??

Why not install OGN receivers for tracking? Just one good installation at home airfield covers most of your cross country flights. We get 100 km range with one good antenna.
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 18, 12:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Why no

I'm still amazed, after so many years, of the Flarm-mafia mentality. Who made them the bad guys? They invented collision avoidance technology, licenced it and sold to end-users. Then someone stole...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 18, 11:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
GliderLink - New team soaring app for airborne location sharing

If you can (legally and for free) send data at any bandwith between ground station and glider, this is just amazing. I do not see problem with competing technologies, they just drive prices down and...
Forum: Soaring April 22nd 18, 10:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
International Gliding Commission

On Sunday, 22 April 2018 11:28:01 UTC+3, wrote:
Here's a debatable subject few appreciate.

For the second time in five years, the I.G.C. Bureau has been unable...
Forum: Soaring April 18th 18, 05:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Easy and affordable IGC logger

On Tuesday, 17 April 2018 21:57:33 UTC+3, MNLou wrote:
On Tuesday, April 17, 2018 at 8:45:26 AM UTC-5, krasw wrote:
Original Nano has nightmarish user interface, row of leds and fiddly...
Forum: Soaring April 18th 18, 05:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
corosion during storage

On Tuesday, 17 April 2018 19:43:55 UTC+3, john firth wrote:
There is a report on serious corrosion in PIK 20 s due to
condensation during storage. The rod ends in particular are
Forum: Soaring April 17th 18, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Easy and affordable IGC logger

Original Nano has nightmarish user interface, row of leds and fiddly microscopic switch that you can also press. Better to get one with display, you at least know if it's up and running without user...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 18, 08:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Source of green donuts for instrument tubing installation?

On Monday, 9 April 2018 10:05:36 UTC+3, wrote:
Using them prevents leaks later on, clamping the tubes.

I have fixed two leaks in pitot static systems over the years. Both...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 18, 07:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Source of green donuts for instrument tubing installation?

Is there a particular reason to use donuts or anything similar at all for instrument installation? Just push the tube to pneumatic port and go flying.
Forum: Soaring April 5th 18, 09:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
L-23 for sale again

On Sunday, 1 April 2018 09:16:06 UTC+3, John Foster wrote:
On Saturday, March 31, 2018 at 4:41:38 AM UTC-6, Charles Longley wrote:
http://home.nwi.net/~blanikam/ba/prod01.htm

How does...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 18, 07:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Ventus 2 compared to Discus besides the obvious

I'm confused. Currently gliders under discussion are Discus, Discus 2, Ventus and Ventus 2 (all with various sub-models). Original poster first questioned differences between Discus (std. class ship...
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 18, 06:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
SLA batteries opinions?

tiistai 3. huhtikuuta 2018 2.16.45 UTC+3 kirjoitti:
The theoretical number of times the batteries of each type can be cycled is irrelevant if they will die of old age in a number...
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 18, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
SLA batteries opinions?

maanantai 2. huhtikuuta 2018 20.14.19 UTC+3 john firth kirjoitti:
Recently I tested two 12v SLA s which had been in use
sequentially for some years usually recharged before going
going...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 18, 07:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Round out and flare with fully open spoilers in a PW-6? Other gliders?

tiistai 27. maaliskuuta 2018 2.47.36 UTC+3 son_of_flubber kirjoitti:
The PW-6 has very effective spoilers, and some other gliders have even more effective spoilers. Assuming C.G. is within limits...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 18, 07:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
Pik 20d trailer parts question

The trailer (made by Eiri, BTW) is 40 something years old, parts may not be available any more, and I've seen different components in otherwise similar trailers. Axles, wheelhubs, brake components...
Forum: Soaring March 19th 18, 02:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
First glider to buy 10-20k euro's

Are you going to fly trailer or glider? With hangar space and couple of outlandings per year I had no problem living with vintage trailer.
Forum: Soaring March 13th 18, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
$75,000 2-33

Ok, so ASK 21 nose gear can indeed collapse (if you dive into ground at 30 degrees angle) and therefore 2-33 is better alternative. Got it.

IMHO ASK 21 is far from state of the art. It glides like a...
Forum: Soaring March 13th 18, 07:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By krasw
$75,000 2-33

Many contributors argue that everything should be cheap, and even cheaper is better, because low costs means more new pilots. Yet no evidence of this causality is available. We got to stop pretend...