Forum: Soaring November 12th 18, 06:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is the best point to jack up a Cobra Trailer ?

They had already taken the trailer off the hitch and it was sitting on the front caster wheel.

NEVER jack up a trailer if the front dolly wheel can roll/caster. If you're going to jack up the...
Forum: Soaring November 9th 18, 08:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is the best point to jack up a Cobra Trailer ?

On Friday, November 9, 2018 at 1:48:12 PM UTC-5, Nick Kennedy wrote:
I think you should do a practice run on your trailer, changing the wheel, at home before heading out on the open road. On the...
Forum: Soaring November 8th 18, 12:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is the best point to jack up a Cobra Trailer ?

Good stuff.

Off topic slightly, my old Komet trailer--steel tubing with aluminum skin and wood floor--had a doubler tube welded in alongside the lower longeron where the axle attached on each side....
Forum: Soaring November 7th 18, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

Why not make flat surface panel instead of that horrible Schleicher texture straight from the 70's?

How about a Win 10 look? Make the panel from smoked Lexan (or something a little more forgiving...
Forum: Soaring November 6th 18, 11:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

I measured and modeled all the instruments in 2D - including the holes and the case cross-sections. I managed to arrange them such that they form a near-solid block (many of them touch cases to add...
Forum: Soaring November 6th 18, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

Andy, when I was laying out my ASW 24 panel many years ago (OK, over a quarter century ago), I wasn't just arranging paper cutouts on the blank panel to see what would fit. There were other...
Forum: Soaring October 25th 18, 08:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

UH and P3 should give a presentation on how to manage refinishing projects using inexperienced staff (e.g., club members). I suspect M&H could contribute as they've taken a lot of young helpers from...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 18, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Primer is rolled on to force it into the million pinholes left after sanding. If the first coats are sprayed many pinholes are bridged and show up again after the first sanding. How smooth it is...
Forum: Soaring September 28th 18, 05:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eberly Trailer Spring

To my knowledge, Eberle trailers didn't have lift struts. The user had to raise the lid manually and then swing down the support legs one at a time (much easier with two people). This was before the...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 18, 04:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

On Wednesday, September 19, 2018 at 10:14:23 AM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
Coincidence, perhaps?

Cobra and Komet trailers have been carrying the horizontal stabilizer
attached to the...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 18, 12:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Too many accidents

I've had great training and good habits, too. But after 50 years of flying, I landed gear up the first time. It was a long (50+ miles) final glide into Harris Hill at the nationals a few years ago,...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 18, 08:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Too many accidents

I'm a little concerned about the way the data are displayed geographically. Maybe it's the software but three fatal accidents I'm very familiar with and that are in the NTSB database are missing from...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 18, 06:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Too many accidents

On Wednesday, September 5, 2018 at 7:54:59 PM UTC-4, Andy Blackburn wrote:
Not to over-engage in statistical analysis...

Thanks for being analytical, Andy. It encourages us to think rationally...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 06:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vermont Fatalities Today

I read Mr. Fried's posts. Yes, they could benefit from editing. Most posts I read here could (including mine; if only I hadn't divorced my copy editor wife! Hahaha).

Gently encouraging him to...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Will a Blanik L13 open trailer work for an L23?

FWIW, you can--indeed--put almost anything on an open trailer...and without welding. My father and his partners got one of the first Diamant HBV fiberglass gliders (Libelle 301 wings on that...
Forum: Soaring August 27th 18, 09:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cockpit Size and Comfort

Later model ASW 24 is possible (there are at least three cockpit sizes, IIRC). 27/28/29 are similar if not a bit larger. All have Waibel's safety cockpit design. There's an aftermarket instrument...
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 18, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW 27 wing tip wheels

Hank Nixon installed wingtip wheels on my ASW 24 last winter when we refinished the wings. They're almost identical to the tip wheels on the 201 Libelles; i.e., small wheels half buried in the tips....
Forum: Soaring August 20th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
World-Wide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange

If now's the time to pile on, I'll add my thanks to the unsung John Leibacher for his wonderful service for so many years. As with electric power, running water, and (yes) Internet connectivity, it's...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

I was never much good at forecasting financial markets. So several months before delivery of my ASW 24 in late 1991, I began worrying that the exchange rate (D-mark) would move against me. So I...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 18, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
15M/Open Class Nat's Uvalde, Contest Day 3

On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 3:11:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Small task change for 15M making their distance 279miles. 15M gate opened at 14:10-Opens at 13:31

Thanks, Leigh, for...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Perlan High Altitude Tow Plane

Not perfect, but a better effort than many articles I've read.

What a thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime adventure this must be for their entire family!

Chip Bearden
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer brake heating up

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 8:45:05 PM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:
JB,

A long time ago, I had a similar problem with the tongue staying
collapsed. It turned out that there was a gas...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer brake heating up

Are you sure there isn't a bullet jammed in it?
Jim

Hahaha! Anything is possible. :)
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 07:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Just to close the loop: For the Midlothian Std. Nats, I configured a cruise page and a climb page, each of which maintains whatever zoom level(s) I set. I just toggled between the two manually...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer brake heating up

Bumping this thread to see what Eric found last year.

My Cobra brake jammed on after a hard stop on the way home from Midlothian last week. Couldn't free it up so disconnected the brake cables at...