Search: Posts made by: Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Act now before your wings are defaced

Aren't all sides on a sailplane shiny????

LOL....
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 03:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
another crash

Is it just me.....or do others click the link, see a bit, then locks up trying to load some other site?

Regardless, sucks another broken glider....
Forum: Soaring August 31st 19, 01:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Landing with broken rudder cable

I don't think he is suggesting actually going into a cloud......more like, know what your ship if you flew hands off in benign spiral mode which could be used if you were sucked up in a cloud or were...
Forum: Soaring August 26th 19, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus 2 rudder stiff help please

Totally agree....
Minor bit....as swiping the coarse sandpaper between rudder and fin, move rudder maybe 20* and try again.
Do NOT assume the front radius on the rudder is constant....... may be fine...
Forum: Soaring August 20th 19, 09:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

I have heard of some Eastern Europeans making investments in the US...YMMV.....(read some threads about some of them, thought at least one was that site, or another site in Florida...)....
Forum: Soaring August 20th 19, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rough outlanding in high corn

Depends on the type of corn.....;-)

As an aside, the landing was due to birds, so likely not much thrust to cook the corn......
Forum: Soaring August 18th 19, 05:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

Sorta my point on a -20A.....get current in the spring, then do a local pattern "way high" full flaps, full dive brakes, roll the nose over....sheesh....
I have shoveled into small fields from a 1-26...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 19, 07:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flaps/No flaps...practical difference??

Having landed a 1-26 in a place local hang glider pilots said was that unlandable (one HG pilot showed up at our field, having his kidlets learn, he mentioned, I stated as fact since I was the 1-26...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 19, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tow plane types/mods for high density altitude glider towing

Hmmmm.....not sure if our field.....remember a short time tug that was great, but maybe 75% throttle lit up the local PoPo....
Yeah.....not many tows, but they were fun......
;-)
;-)
Forum: Soaring August 15th 19, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rough outlanding in high corn

Saw that before your posting....wondered how long before a post here......
Russians trying to beat Sully/US....
Still cool, decent landing.
Wonder if local PoPo are asking about crop damage...I...
Forum: Soaring August 10th 19, 07:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Marfa Texas expanding operations

Nice to see another AOL user, regardless of haters......LOL.....
Forum: Soaring August 9th 19, 11:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tragedy at Uvalde

Having "been onsite within minutes" as well as at a contest, condolences to all involved.
Sucks in general.

A loss is a loss, regardless of why....
Forum: Soaring August 4th 19, 04:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus rigging advice, please?

A clean set of pins and some lube goes a long way in rigging......period......
Forum: Soaring August 3rd 19, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

Dental floss is very cheap, works, very available.
Braided small fishing line (NOT monofilament) also works.

Yes, a hot glue dab or small dab of ShooGlue (or similar.....thickened silicone sealant)...
Forum: Soaring August 3rd 19, 09:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus C, 15m vs 17.6m

Fonzie was Fonzie....sorta hard to compare.
Yes, I flew against him a number of times in the NE.
Yes, I have heard of some amazing (even for me) outlandings.

I miss him, quite a character, but,...
Forum: Soaring August 3rd 19, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pre World event, Champagne France-follow US Team pilot Mike Westbrook

Leigh, thanks for info even though you're a volunteer. Always my complaint of lack of info, but understand volunteer effort.
Thanks for the effort....;-)
Forum: Soaring July 29th 19, 11:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lift pins

OK....stupid question....most FRP works better in tension (from what I know) than compression.
Sooooo.....why is top layer of spar thicker than bottom (I will assume.....yes, I know what assume can...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 19, 09:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

Look at a RC car supplier (like, Tower Hobbies) for "body pins" used to hold a RC car body onto the chassis.
IIRC, we used to use dental floss tied onto the pin and pushrod so you didn't lose the pin.
Forum: Soaring July 28th 19, 09:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Hmmmm.....(joking here....just so we all know up front......).....CBP/ICE...vs. US military at Area 51.....yep.....Area 51 sounds worse.....neither sounds good.....even a US citizen landing at Area...
Forum: Soaring July 28th 19, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Junior World Gliding Championships-Links to follow the US Junior Team

Leigh....thanks for info and links.
Junior team.....go have fun, hopefully part of that is doing well.....come home safe first.....place well, second......not worth getting hurt for the reward of...
Forum: Soaring July 28th 19, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
More sad news

Sorta sucks for the loss.....
sympathies (sp) to everyone involved.

Bad for everyone.

Best wishes to everyone......
Forum: Soaring July 27th 19, 07:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lift pins

I will state, I am not an expert on internals of a FRP spar.....
My knowledge.....mostly wood laminations (not including balsa at the root for spar) with glass or CF for ultimate strength.
Further...
Forum: Soaring July 27th 19, 03:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
"FAI Combined" Class?

Regardless of handicaps.....I still say about 90% is the nut behind the stick, and go from there. A good pilot in a decent ship will likely be near the top anyway.....
Weather or geographic may skew...
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 19, 06:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Supplemental oxygen

Agreed.....what is the cost of an O2 refill vs. a bad outcome?!?!??

Poor physical health, smoking (my bad....don't harp....I get enough already....), lack of sleep, different start point (coastal...