Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 03:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Act now before your wings are defaced

I was going to report this thread as abuse of Google Groups, but there isn't a category for effin' STUPID. Enough, Bob. Back to the ice cave.
Forum: Soaring September 16th 19, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Act now before your wings are defaced

At first, I thought Bob's rants had to do with holding on to the Bong too firmly. Now, I find myself Googling "Symptoms of Dementia."
Forum: Soaring September 8th 19, 01:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
another crash

"Canopy breakers" are different from the automotive "window breakers" in that the surfaces to be destroyed are also quite different. Automotive glass is tempered, meaning the entire surface is under...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 19, 08:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Replacement canopies

Link to an Argentinian company that produces glider canopies and other aircraft windshields:
https://spaeroparts.com/
Forum: Soaring August 28th 19, 01:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mistral-C vs DG-100

On Tuesday, August 27, 2019 at 2:43:57 PM UTC-6, Tango Whisky wrote:
If you can't control a take off with a cg hook, you probably shouldn't be in a glider in the first place.

That's a pretty...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 19, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Episode #4 of The Thermal now available

Will you be discussing the "Snatch" method of launching in the Operation Market Garden segment?

(Hi to Mitch, Danny, Mike, Kathy and all the rest that get this reference.)
Forum: Soaring August 28th 19, 01:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ooooops...Electrically

I believe the pilot needs a currency check.
Forum: Soaring August 27th 19, 02:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ooooops...

Resistance is futile. But inevitable.
Forum: Soaring August 23rd 19, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bumper Miracle Slide

but a squirt of Tri Flow Superior (bicycle chain lube also specified for certain rotor heads) does a pretty good job.

Also attracts and holds dirt. If you live in a gritty environment (i.e....
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 19, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FS Cambridge L-Nav & GPS 20

I may have a Makiki pellet vario somewhere. Offer me enough to afford a JS-3 and I will look for it.
Forum: Soaring August 21st 19, 10:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

I don't understand what a pool has to do with gliding.

Really? Let's see... you just landed back at Seminole after about four hours or so. The temperature is in the nineties, with humidity also...
Forum: Soaring August 20th 19, 02:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rough outlanding in high corn

So, if a jet engine is running when landing in a corn field, does it blow grits or popcorn out the tailpipe?
Forum: Soaring August 20th 19, 02:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Seeking head rest for ASW-20C - or a cheap chiropracter : )

On Monday, August 19, 2019 at 10:47:26 AM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
There was a lot of concern at Moriarty during the recent 1-26 contest.*
Many pilots of glass and carbon ships were worried...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 19, 07:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ooooops...

I am going to go mediate ohm...

My favorite definition of "Ohm's Law" is "The regulation that gives the valuable Airport Loony concession to the Hare Krishnas."
Forum: Soaring August 16th 19, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rough outlanding in high corn

There's another, bigger, problem: it was a wheels-up landing.

No wonder the corn looked so tall.
Forum: Soaring August 15th 19, 01:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tire pressure monitor

"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
Forum: Soaring August 9th 19, 02:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fes ot jet (pros and cons)

George Bye is a major promoter of bull****.
Forum: Soaring August 7th 19, 02:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fes ot jet (pros and cons)

OK. You need to re read my post. I said technology is changing, and by the time you need to replace your battery, something better MAY be out there. Just because it isn't being widely disseminated...
Forum: Soaring August 6th 19, 01:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fes ot jet (pros and cons)

FES has used same Kokam cell for 10 years. Lange has used same SAFT cells for 20 years. There has been absolutely zero advance in electric glider battery technology. Just a reminder.

Just because...
Forum: Soaring August 6th 19, 02:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
fes ot jet (pros and cons)

Steve brings up a good point on the replacement cost of batteries, but one thing that needs to be considered is the rapid advance in battery technology. I am old enough to remember "D" cells with a...
Forum: Soaring August 3rd 19, 04:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
source for clips or sleaves for Hotelier linkages

I will do that. That is a great idea. From reading above, dental floss should work?

Dental floss works, also any other strong, thin cord. When you tie the knot around the pin, use a dot of hot...
Forum: Soaring July 27th 19, 02:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Many things surprised me in Bob's post, and since it is on the Internet, it must be true. Although he sounds suspiciously non-Canadian. I saw not one reference to hockey.
Forum: Soaring July 26th 19, 02:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Canadian pilot posts ILLEGAL flight into US on OLC

Dickhead. Are you waiting for a response from the FSDO so you can tattle? At least he went back to where he came from, and by choice. Different situation down here on the southern border of the US.
Forum: Soaring July 25th 19, 01:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Supplemental oxygen

Pilots who live at higher altitudes (Colorado, New Mexico) definitely have an advantage, as they are well acclimated to the thinner air. I remember seeing visitors from low-lying states gasping as...
Forum: Soaring July 25th 19, 01:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lift pins

That is certainly the case on my Nimbus 2 where the main spar is joined and secured with a main pin but can still essentially float around in the fuselage if it were not for the lift pins on the...