Search: Posts made by: W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).
Forum: Soaring February 27th 07, 10:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Slingsby T-21

Unstallable !? Unspinnable !?

I don't think so.

I was trained in them to solo standard at the London Gliding Club, Dunstable
in 1963.

The two I flew would do a classic stall with nose drop and...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 07, 09:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2005 Junior Worlds Accident

Why do you think it is a public road? I think it is an access road to farm
buildings, and owned by the farmer.

Does this make any difference? I think not, which is why the AAIB do not
comment on...
Forum: Soaring February 8th 07, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2005 Worlds Juniors Accident.

The answer to question 1. is that the road/track where the cars were parked
is on the west side of the hedge and easily accessible, on the east side
from where the gliders were finishing is just a...
Forum: Soaring February 8th 07, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2005 Worlds Juniors Accident.

The U.K. Air Accidents Investigation Branch accident report on the fatal
crash involving a photographer on 9th August 2005 at Husbands Bosworth has
now been published.

It may be found...
Forum: Soaring February 4th 07, 04:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2K Paint Option on S-H Ventus?

Look at the DG web-site http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.com/index-e.html , go to
"Innovations" then to "Polyurethane Paint - The Better Alternative" ,
http://www.dg-flugzeugbau.com/pur-lack-e.html .

W.J....
Forum: Soaring February 3rd 07, 10:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max weight of K21

For the K21 the maximum front seat load is 110kg (242lbs). This is the
handbook figure, and is the maximum design weight for the seat.

If the K21 is flown solo the maximum front seat weight by...
Forum: Soaring February 1st 07, 11:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
what features are in the next generation of flight computers - Flarm.

Flarm functionability is available now. See
http://www.lxavionics.co.uk/flarm.htm , the UK agent for SwissFlarm and LX.

See also http://www.naviter.si/tour/seeyou-mobile-tour-10.php for...
Forum: Soaring January 28th 07, 11:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
See and avoid...

The Flarm operating manual version 3.05 (Jan 8th 2007)
http://www.flarm.com/support/manual/FLARM_OperatingManual_v3.05E.pdf
on page 12 of 12 states "Operation of FLARM is forbidden in the USA...
Forum: Soaring January 28th 07, 02:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wing Tape - Does Thickness Affect Performance?

See Thirst and the Drinking Pilot by Dan Johnson
http://amygdala.danlj.org/~danlj/Soaring/Thirst.SoaringMag.html

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.
"jcarlyle" wrote...
Forum: Soaring January 16th 07, 02:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wikipedia:Peter Masak

There are two points about what is thought to have happened to Peter Masak
and to others.

1./ Don't get caught out crossing a ridge (or by any of the many other
mistakes open to us).

2./ If you...
Forum: Soaring January 16th 07, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
I Wish Our Website Was As Good As This

Use the button "pilots", then "members site", and you will find the old
website for now.

Yes, Melissa has done a good job, and she flies her LS4 in Nationals as
well.

Have a look at the on-line...
Forum: Soaring December 11th 06, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Seat belts

Some of the release boxes on Gadringer seatbelts appear to have been
manufactured by Pacific Scientific Co., California.

I discovered this when looking at a belt where the Gadringer sticker had
worn...
Forum: Soaring November 23rd 06, 11:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Lightning eats SSA Excom Minutes

You must mean the ASK21 GBP which was destroyed near the London Gliding
Club, Dunstable on 17th April 1999.

The AAIB report may be found...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 06, 04:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A different kind of FLARM?

Everything which Guy says makes sense to me.

I have never flown in the U.S.A. but if I were flying from Minden I would
like to have a transponder.
See what Gordon Boettger said in an article dated...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 06, 09:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A different kind of FLARM?

That sounds just like Flarm, which is available from two manufacturers in
Europe and one in Australia, and has sold about 5,000 units so far.

Are you suggesting that the USA re-invent the...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 06, 09:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A different kind of FLARM?

OzFlarm is built in Australia by RF Developments Pty Ltd
http://www.rf-developments.com/ , who describe it :
"OzFlarm is an exciting new technology based on the tried and proven FLARM
collision...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 06, 11:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM Statistics

You may well be correct. Does such equipment exist? If not, when is it
likely to be available?

Meanwhile, Flarm does exist, has sold some 5,000 units worldwide, is known
to work, and in some...
Forum: Soaring October 9th 06, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA-OLC Generation 2.0 - Submission deadlines.

I have the good luck to fly in the UK, and we have our own excellent ladder,
the BGA National Ladder http://www.bgaladder.co.uk/ . Most pilots in the
UK post to this and not to the OLC.

The BGA...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 06, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Are Weak Links really Necessary for Aero Tow?

Note that the drawing on p.28 of the document referenced by John Smith was
taken from a series of photos taken with a motor drive camera during a
deliberate upset of a Supercub towing a K8 during...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 06, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Landings question

Derek Piggott did exactly the same thing as Tom Knauff, especially when
training instructors.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

"Doug Haluza" wrote in...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 06, 02:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mode S Transponders....

Yes, we all see the connection.

How are they planning to avoid hang and paragliders?

The BGA has made a response as an organisation to the recent PRIA, it is to
be found at...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 06, 11:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mode S Transponders....

"Eric Greenwell" wrote in message
news:[email protected]

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.) wrote:

After two or three days, with his ship not going...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 06, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mode S Transponders....

Eric,

The pilot who removed his transponder antenna is a friend of mine, and I
talked with him about it at the time.

The glider is an ASW27, he was flying in competition with other pilots in
ASW27s...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 06, 12:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Crash - Minden?

All the transponders currently listed by Filser
http://www.filser.de/onlineshop/english/ are modes A/C and S, and have
extended squitter; they all have an integral alticoder. These are probably
the...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 06, 12:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Perlan height record in Argentina

The Robert Harris record of 49,009 ft absolute altitude was set in a single
seater, so surely it still stands.

The new record, if confirmed, will be for two seaters. So the position
will be as it...