Forum: Soaring June 20th 18, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A complicated question about LiFePO4 batteries, - and switching.

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/vishay-semiconductor-diodes-division/VS-12TQ045PBF/12TQ045PBF-ND/812018

Even with a 0.4V drop forward, you're still ahead of SLA on voltage to the...
Forum: Soaring June 19th 18, 09:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vinyl Numbers

Wonder if a lint roller would be useful just before vinyl letter application...
Forum: Soaring June 12th 18, 12:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Radio Squelch - Electrical Noise Problems

If you can identify which device(s) are the primary culprit, installing a capacitor across the power leads to that device may cut the unwanted noise. Google “low pass filter” and you’ll find...
Forum: Soaring June 12th 18, 02:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
refilling O2 bottles on the road.

If you go to the local welding shop and they are willing to fill your bottle (vs. exchange) if they ask what you are using it for say that you are using it for live bait on your bass boat. Some...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 18, 11:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Digital altimeters

Use caution with the Air Avionics transponder if you need ADSB out. Last time I checked their transponder is not capable of a SIL-1 or SIL-3 level output.
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 18, 12:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ADSB out in tow planes

Rather than turn off the powerflarm core, simply turn off the FlarmView that is connected to the Flarm. Intercepting the power lead in the cable going to the Flarmview and routing that to a panel...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 18, 02:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TT21/TN72 power consumption

I used the settings Richard just provided in my experimental glider and the ADSB report showed no errors. You do need both the core and the display of the TT22 to be updated to the latest versions...
Forum: Soaring May 19th 18, 12:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Becker AR 620x radio - seems a little quiet?

Do you have a back seat repeater installed? Might check the volume knob there if so.
Forum: Soaring May 4th 18, 01:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Notable Power Flarm saves - Is it 'worth it'?

I made the mistake on the Air Avionics Transponder.

The VT-01 is NOT capable of either a SIL=1 or SIL=3 output. Therefore while it can send an ADS-B “message”, ALL USA ATC or certified ADS-B IN...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 18, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tapered pins (again)

I picked up this level for $30 yesterday and have not had an opportunity to test it while rigging, but my thought was to zero the level on fuselage and then determine the appropriate angle for the...
Forum: Rotorcraft April 20th 18, 08:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
simulator question

Greetings,

While this group doesn't seem to be very active, I thought it might still be a good place to see if anyone has used the below simulator controls with Microsoft Flight Simulator X? Good? ...
Forum: Soaring March 19th 18, 04:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flarm collision alert from Tow Plane ADS-B

I wired my Flarm with double pole, 3 position switch. The first pole powers the brick and the second pole powers the Flarmview display. In the middle position, the PowerFlarm Core is on, but the...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 18, 12:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flarm reporting my own ADSB Out

Dan,

Thanks! I had not updated the config file to show that I now had the Mode S installed. It’s now working properly.

Mark
Forum: Soaring March 11th 18, 02:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flarm reporting my own ADSB Out

Greetings,

Installed my new Trig and TN72 and today when I powered up both my Flarm and the Trig, the Flarmview reported my own ADSB Out signal as a ADSB target.

PowerFlarm Core - 6.42...
Forum: Soaring February 22nd 18, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ClearVav vs. LXNav

Something that would be fantastic for a CN2 would be the ability to toggle back and forth from the Clearnav software and ForeFlight...
Forum: Soaring December 20th 17, 04:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Discus B instrument panel template

M and H soaring if you are in the USA.
Forum: Soaring October 15th 17, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
_FES_vs_Gas_Engine_–_Finding_a_Thermal?

There is a need for a fuel shut off valve. But it's a pilot problem if the pilot

A) Doesn't do a short engine run of say 30 seconds before leaving gliding distance of the home airport.

B) Chooses...
Forum: Soaring August 9th 17, 11:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sustainer engine run

30-60 seconds on EVERY flight before going beyond gliding distance of the airport. Mostly to give you some assurance that it is likely to start if called upon later that day. A short run will also...
Forum: Soaring July 12th 17, 08:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PowerFlarm “Own Transponder Detection" Rate

I wish I had a solution, but I also disabled PCAS alerts on my Flarm due to annoying false alarms.

If have a Zaon PCAS which works great and I like the numerical display better than the rings on the...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 17, 05:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Battery charger question

Go to a 6 or 8A fuse and you should be fine
Forum: Soaring April 12th 17, 12:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flarm Config File Parser/Interpreter?

I'm about 95% finished coding a nice iPhone based Powerflarm configurator.
My Flarmview had been giving me a message that said their was an issue with the config file and I finally tracked down the...