Forum: Soaring November 6th 18, 12:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
looking for advice on lead n follow flights

I have flown at St. Auban France many times. They use lead and follow for instruction and as a way to check-out pilots before they let them fly cross-country on their own. The instructor flew a two...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 18, 03:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LiFePO4 chargers

You should take a look at the CTEK Lithium US charger.
Fully automatic.
Performs battery testing.
Can leave on float.
Forum: Soaring September 10th 18, 09:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying Gliders in Europe: Medical Requirements

Absolutely true.
But, I think it is safe to say that is going to be a very rare thing for a USA pilot to ship their plane to europe to fly for a couple of weeks.
With places like St. Auban that have...
Forum: Soaring September 9th 18, 09:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying Gliders in Europe: Medical Requirements

I have been flying in Europe for some time. In the EU, the standard is the FAA Class 2 Medical Certificate. They will not honor a Class 3 or a clearance letter.

An alternative in France is to...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 18, 09:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

The airbag comment is interesting.
Several good quality studies have looked at the impact of airbags on deaths in motor vehicle accidents. The interesting statistics have to do with the use of...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 03:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S80- Vario/altimeter setup: Electronic compensation (internalsensors) or TE Probe?

My LS-8 was set-up the same way from the factory. The front static ports are for the flight instruments.
I used the boom statics for my S80.
They work very well.
There was a comment about dumping...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 04:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

This is a fun discussion.
I promised my wife many decades ago that I would always wear a parachute when flying.
I had an biannual to fly in my aeroclub. The plane was a 182. The instructor gave me...
Forum: Soaring August 11th 18, 04:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S80- Vario/altimeter setup: Electronic compensation (internalsensors) or TE Probe?

I have used the S80 for 4-5 years. I installed it as soon as it was released.

I like completely redundant systems.
I have my Winter vario on the total energy system with flask.
I have the S80 on...
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 18, 07:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spray insulation for aluminum trailers

Thank you.
This is the first concrete suggestion/example of a method and materials to insulate the aluminum top.
Forum: Soaring July 22nd 18, 03:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spray insulation for aluminum trailers

That's it! That is all this forum has to offer on the subject of applying spray insulation to an aluminum top trailer. After all the discussion of Aluminum vs fiberglass?
I guess that implies that...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 18, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Spray insulation for aluminum trailers

How does one go about having insulation installed inside an aluminum trailer?
Are there specific spray-on materials that are commonly applied that auto repair/painting shops would know how to work...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 18, 03:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

How does one go about having insulation installed inside an aluminum trailer?
Are there specific spray-on materials that are commonly applied that auto repair/painting shops would know how to work...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 18, 10:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Home built trailer for old glass ship

I my experience and opinion, the trailer is more important than the plane.
A pain in the ass trailer than cuts your head/hands/ankles when trying to get the plane in and out is worthless.
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 02:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Experimental Letter

A copy of the program letter as well as a copy of your operating limitations that were issued with your experimental certificate must be in the aircraft.
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trailer shade

A small pole barn should do the trick.
Forum: Soaring June 12th 18, 03:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Radio Squelch - Electrical Noise Problems

I have to agree with PAGA.
It took almost a whole day but taking all units off line and adding them back one at a time identified what system was the source. Then it was a couple hours using ferrite...
Forum: Soaring June 11th 18, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer stuck closed

You know.
These forums are degrading into gutter talk and condescension way too often and way too quickly. People being off topic should be immediately blocked. Those with verbal trigger fingers...
Forum: Soaring May 30th 18, 04:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Towing across the barren western states in an all electric car.
Some people just like a complicated life.
Forum: Soaring May 30th 18, 01:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Good lubricant for assembly

I would like to add that the synthetic lithium products also do not get HARD in cold weather like vasaline.
Forum: Soaring May 17th 18, 01:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

I want to concur with Dan.
I fly out of Minden and we cruise between 15,000 and 17,999. It is COLD at that altitude.
My lead batteries would lose voltage as the temp dropped. After three hours at...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 18, 02:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

I have several LFP batteries, all different makes. The multiple chargers was an issue for me. I have had a very good experience with the CTEK Lithium US charger.
I was curious about CTEK since both...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 18, 12:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Attitudes & Reality

We have the same problem in medicine, its called Alarm Fatigue. During sedation there are alarms for just about every parameter that we monitor: absolute blood pressure, mean blood pressure, heart...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 03:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM in the USA question

Hi Darryl,
I was responding primarily to this thread.
However, the term Flarm seems to be used generically when there are two distinctly different systems.
BTW, I spent all day updating my FLARM and...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 03:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM in the USA question

So.....
Classic Flarm units are not permitted in the USA?
Therefore, all of our discussions in the USA should be limited to PowerFlarm?
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 01:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FLARM in the USA question

Thank you.
THis amalgam of "FLARM" units makes the endless discussions all the more difficult.