Forum: Soaring June 7th 18, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Average time to solo a student

In Australia we have this thing called a post solo syllabus, where advanced thermalling and things like rigging are covered.
I don’t see any need to train these pre solo.
Forum: Soaring June 7th 18, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5th year of living dangerously with LiFePo4 batteries

One example does not prove all BMS cannot protect the battery.
I see no eveidence that Life is any more prone to failiure than SLA gell cells.
Forum: Soaring June 5th 18, 12:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Average time to solo a student

I have to say that after learning on airtow, Im very glad I went on to do several years of winch launching, I learnt very valuable lessons in flying low,
after simulated cable breaks and highly...
Forum: Soaring June 5th 18, 04:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Color Platforms for Top Hat/XCSoar

Im vry happy with mine, though I made the mistake of buying a Z3 compact, a smaller model, something to watch for.
The compact are model numbers 5xxx wheras the larger units are 6xxx.
Battery life...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 04:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oxygen refilling hazards

Too right, pure Oxygen will cause greases, along with other things to spontaneous ignite on contact!
I luckily have a very large cylinder, which gives me about 50 hours on EDS.
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 04:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Average time to solo a student

I soloed in 25 in a Grob 103 mk1 taildragger, and I have to say, it set me in great stead, Ive since flown from the wooden ES52 Kookaburra and ES60 Boomerang to Nimbus 4DM and ASH25 &30,
With no...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 07:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5th year of living dangerously with LiFePo4 batteries

Ive seen SLA batteries in UPS systems swell up and catch fire, at the local recycling yard.
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 07:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Average time to solo a student

I soloed after 25 launches. No prior flyimg.
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 12:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kestrel 19 info wanted.

Its is my recollection that 1/2 meter was added at the root and the tip.
Airfoils 101, a thicker airfoil has a wider but shallower low drag bucket.
Forum: Soaring June 1st 18, 09:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Trailer license problem

Its incedibly ironic that a country that cant manage the most obvious need for gun laws, where an AR15 can be purchased readily, makes it so Byzantine to buy a trailer.
Only in ‘Murica.
Forum: Soaring June 1st 18, 07:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kestrel 19 info wanted.

Should be better than 45 after reprofiling, my 17m DG200, same airfoil is 45 factory, the 17m kestrel was 43, and the 19m was 44.
Forum: Soaring June 1st 18, 05:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kestrel 19 info wanted.

I contacted Striefeneder about this a couple of years ago, they told me they no longer supply this mod.
Forum: Soaring May 29th 18, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Good lubricant for assembly

The reason they wear gloves is the issue is before the epoxy cures, there are no issues once curing has taken place.
I know several expert sailplane repairers who use normal greases, and have never...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 18, 12:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kestrel 19 info wanted.

The brakes on the Kestrel are too far back on the wing to be very effective.
The Slingsby Kestrels had poor sutface accuracy too, thats why the extra 2 meters of wing only improved the LD by one...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 18, 12:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aileron "tuning" or "trimming"

The tabs I have seen were about 100mm long, and them bent to the correct amount.
Pretty simple.
Forum: Soaring May 27th 18, 10:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aileron "tuning" or "trimming"

There is a useful tool on the iphone compass, if you swipe the compass, a rather good inclinometer is there.
Very easy to check such things as aileron and flap positions and travel.
Forum: Soaring May 27th 18, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aileron "tuning" or "trimming"

It could be a warped wing, there was an article years ago in Australian Gliding detailing a similar problem with a Mosquito, which was cure by heating the wing in a large oven whilst twisted...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 05:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Its an average over 2,500km of all different terrains, including steep hills, towing a 750kg tralier.
420nm of torque gets you a long way (310 ft lb).
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 05:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

Imperial, average over 2500km long trip
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 12:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Car/Truck to pull glider trailer

My Mazda CX5 twin turbo diesel is an excellent tow car, and very economical. Stability is great, towing up to 160km/h steady as a rock.
I get 30 mpg or better (10L/100km for those of you in civilised...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 18, 10:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glide computer in certified glider

Exactly what I though about all your posts so far.
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 18, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glide computer in certified glider

SO you CAPITALISE and shout when you lose eh?
What a dip**** you are 2G.
Forum: Soaring May 21st 18, 03:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glide computer in certified glider

As dense as they come, still in hole, still digging. Do you like to be thought of as a pratt?
Forum: Soaring May 21st 18, 12:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glide computer in certified glider

Bob K wins the internet today.
Forum: Soaring May 19th 18, 12:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glide computer in certified glider

Just had to prove it huh. Go figure.