Search: Posts made by: Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)
Forum: Soaring November 11th 18, 09:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Parachute source for gliders and winches

My understanding, walking (let alone running) in heels is tough...no, never tried either.....

As to suitability of one drag chute vs. another, seems like a major factor is if you drag it on the...
Forum: Soaring November 11th 18, 06:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Parachute source for gliders and winches

You talking RuPaul....?!?!
LOL......

If talking to Brits, be careful of fags or faggots......quite a bit different in the US than "Queens English"......;-)
[cigarettes or meatballs....in order.....]
Forum: Soaring November 11th 18, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is the best point to jack up a Cobra Trailer ?

Always look for 3 points of contact, lessens issues.
Granted, I have been bit by that, currently working on a trailer that is iffy since one contact is a swiveling tongue wheel.

When in doubt, find...
Forum: Soaring November 7th 18, 03:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vortex Generators on 182 tow plane???

I believe the major consideration n the first post is minimum good tow speed for the standard C-182 vs. the safe tow speed for various SGS gliders the n poor conditions.
The 182 already wants to fly...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 18, 03:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
looking for advice on lead n follow flights

Wife and I saw it Friday night, we loved it..... have fun.....
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 18, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Yeah, sorta.
;-)

Yes, lots of work if done right. I have seen the process, usually around for the final stages.
Peeps that think, "sure, I can get it done for a grand or two", is hopefully looking...
Forum: Soaring October 26th 18, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

"Bam....be.......".
Yes, I have hit a deer at about 50MPH, amazing the damage that can be done. :-(
Forum: Soaring October 25th 18, 09:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Having been around for "metal/fabric" gliders and composites over several decades, knowledge is great, but time is the issue.
I have been around from the beginning on metal/fabric hands on, watched...
Forum: Soaring October 23rd 18, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Laister LP-49 FS For Sale @ Hemet 15 Meter

Obviously you didn't read the thread, as mentioned, the US government finally got done with paperwork and it moved to the Midwest.
Is it still flying, who knows.

Read, understand, THEN post......
Forum: Soaring October 21st 18, 01:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cheaper tows?

Pretty cool writeup on the plane. Thanks for posting.
Forum: Soaring October 21st 18, 12:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASK 21 grounded after November 30 ? ? ?

And opens fine with Safari on an iPad.
Forum: Soaring October 19th 18, 04:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CELEBRATING OUR 12TH BIRTHDAY

I just searched on FAA.gov, last AD was early 2017 for gliders with hand controls.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/airworthiness_directives/search/?q=Ask-21
Forum: Soaring October 17th 18, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cheaper tows?

Wrong?

Answer this, did you/others run small engines for close to 2000hrs at full throttle with no rebuilds?
Frankly, not likely.

While most IC aircraft engines are archaic, they spend most time at...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 18, 09:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW-19 Maximum Weight

Yes, some ships have an easily removable tail weight, normally top of fin easy to see with horizontal tail off..
There may be weight at the vertical spar not seen without removing the rudder.

As to...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 18, 09:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cheaper tows?

To sorta answer this, there is an ongoing push by AOPA and other groups along with the FAA (in the US) for a suitable unleaded fuel for use in the older "leaded fuel" engines.
I know we added a...
Forum: Soaring October 16th 18, 06:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW-19 Maximum Weight

Quite possibly an estate sale from our club.
Yes, nice ship.
No, not crashed. Separate issue, but worth looking at.
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 08:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towrope tensions....Part II

I have no decent answer, you can skip from here..........

Soft tire, wet ground, deep grass vs. pavement, dragging brake (or pilot that holds divebrake part way through initial acceleration, yada,...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

We "can" do that out of Middletown, NY or Wurtsboro, NY.
For me (looking for last Diamond from Middletown, NY.......K06N), we can tow to Wurtsboro ridge, if ridge is working, yes....... high speed...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 18, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Harris

I didn't know him, but great achievements, condolences to his family and friends,
Thanks for the info.
Forum: Soaring October 13th 18, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

I will guess it was painted/epoxy coated during the fuselage sanding.
Yes, it's shiny.
Forum: Soaring October 12th 18, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New $500 FAA ADS-B Rebate ... some motorgliders/sustainers qualify

Interesting update, I believe the old rebate excluded any aircraft with "no electrical system (gliders, Cubs, etc.)".
So, no gliders were included, maybe even motorgliders/self launchers/sustainers.
Forum: Soaring October 10th 18, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

I knew I didn't know every location, just saying "regular wave sites" have an agreement.

Still trying to get my last badge out of Middletown, NY. I started here, soloed here, went through Gold with...
Forum: Soaring October 10th 18, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

Usually wave camps, that have their crap together, have a "wave window" set up with local FAA types. They get a suitable block airspace, then make a call and "open the window".
I am SURE Mt....
Forum: Soaring October 7th 18, 08:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Help: HBV-Diamant (15m)

Old reply, not relevant to the question.......but, the list of peeps that rigged a 16.5 is long, the list of twice or more is rather short!
Frikkin heavy, I did it a few times at contests when...
Forum: Soaring October 5th 18, 12:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Condor News ---- 2 October 2018

Dude......really!

LOL.......taken from someone that learned in a 2-33 in early 70's US, still use them for training and rides.
;-)

To heck with those that look down on it!

At least one...