Search: Posts made by: George Haeh
Forum: Soaring June 24th 18, 04:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

It may appear to some that he tried to catch a thermal.

There may be a different story in the IGC files.

The atmosphere has a bag full of nasty tricks.
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 18, 06:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Notable Power Flarm saves - Is it 'worth it'?

Air Avionics has recently announced an "Air Traffic" box that combines
Flarm
with GPS suitable for ADS-B Out, at least in EASA land.

https://www.air-avionics.com/?page_id=253
Forum: Soaring April 25th 18, 05:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Wanting to start a new glider club

Lethbridge Soaring Club operates most decent Saturdays out of Cowley
Alberta
with a Roman winch. Great winch, but after sale support thin.

lethbridgesoaring.ca

Check with us and come up for a...
Forum: Soaring April 20th 18, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
First glider Nimbus 2 ?

A few years ago the crosswind was picking up and the decision was made to
change runways after I took off. The towplane drifted to the downwind side
of
the runway while I was:

1. busy maintaining...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 18, 12:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Club Procedures for Late Day XC Flights

Seeyou, XCSoar and TopHat can Bluetooth to your phone which then sends
location updates to Livetrack24 and other soaring websites. It helps to
have an
auxiliary battery for the phone.

That's...
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 18, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Correct adhesive to use to attach tail wheel assembly.

Weldbond works quite well and is easy to work with and non-toxic. Needs
clamping - weight of tailboom is enough, plus generous application of tape

wrapped around tailboom.

Remember to put a wide...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 18, 03:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Round out and flare with fully open spoilers in a PW-6? Other gliders?

I witnessed a fatal Junior crash in 2007:

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-
reports/aviation/2007/a07o0233/a07o0233.asp

The report left a lot out.

Yes, full spoilers were put out in a panic...
Forum: Soaring March 27th 18, 02:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Round out and flare with fully open spoilers in a PW-6? Other gliders?

I witnessed a fatal Junior crash in 2007:

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-
reports/aviation/2007/a07o0233/a07o0233.asp

The report left a lot out.

Yes, full spoilers were put out in a panic...
Forum: Soaring March 17th 18, 03:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Flarm collision alert from Tow Plane ADS-B

If the towplane has [Power] Flarm, the relevant Flarm parameters a

Transponder - Mode S
ICAO ID
Aircraft Type - Towplane

Mind you if the towplane installed UAT, Flarm won't see the ADS-B.
Forum: Soaring March 15th 18, 02:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
cockpit exit assist for older pilots

For a small fraction of the price of an installed NOAH system, you could
buy a
copy of Aging Backwards - and get working on a daily stretching program.

Use it or lose it.
Forum: Soaring March 8th 18, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
$75,000 2-33

I'm not trading my 27B for it.

But it looks like it would be a stable instrument platform.
Forum: Soaring February 28th 18, 11:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Roof Rack for bikes on a cobra clamshell top?

If you take off the wheels, there's a good chance you could tuck the bike
inside.

A bike rack on top is going to cost you gas and may unfavorably affect
trailer
handling.
Forum: Soaring February 28th 18, 11:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

I wrote off a Subaru Forester pulling a Puchaz. Photos of skid marks at the

scene showed one trailer brake seized across a slab transition lining up
that
wheel behind the hitch - then let go.

The...
Forum: Soaring February 13th 18, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Worried about a leading edge crack in the fiberglass wing laminate of my PW-5

I'm happy to have a helper when I'm derigging in a breeze.

Station the helper on the downwind side of the rigger when you're rotating
the
wing to vertical so he can keep the rigger from blowing...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 11:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

Even in a G-103 you can steepen the approach by increasing airspeed with
full
spoilers. The drag increases with the square of the airspeed.

Mind you it takes a bit of time in ground effect to get...
Forum: Soaring February 12th 18, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Trig TT21 + TN72 TABS ADS-B Out Install working great....

So we're looking at:

$350 TN72
$321 GPS Antenna Combiner & cables for Flarm + GPS vario

$671 Total before shipping.

There's just barely enough room under my glareshield for 2 GPS antennae...
Forum: Soaring February 9th 18, 01:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
RIP Matt Wright (Balleka on YouTube)

My compliments to the AAIB for taking advantage of the data. I had a very
narrow escape from a low level vortex / downburst encounter and am most
grateful.

My Oudie and Air Glide S enabled me to...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 18, 03:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
best location for boom mike

I have the boom pass under my upper arm. People have no trouble hearing
me.
Forum: Soaring January 7th 18, 07:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Lubricant for spar pins

My AME (Canadian for A&P) is a big fan of Tri Flow Superior.

Good enough for rotor heads, but don't know what helicopters it's specified
for.

Keeps parts clean.

There's a number of similar...
Forum: Soaring January 3rd 18, 07:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Seminole Lake Accident

On Wednesday, January 3, 2018 at 6:59:22 AM UTC-5, Rich Owen wrote:
...the young pilot who did have the accident is continuing with their
training.

I know at least three instructors who...
Forum: Soaring January 1st 18, 10:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Cessna Citation N238JP Runway Incursion at KUDD

I didn't see a windsock, nor do we have what was said on the radio during
the
five minutes prior. With a runway that long the jets can accept a minor
tailwind
and save bucks on fuel.

It's easy...
Forum: Soaring December 13th 17, 04:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Minimum field size.

Returning to our field, I caught a thermal to give two other gliders time
to land
and clear the runway. I was tired out from the bumps; so decided to land
straight in from 491 m 2.1 km out,...
Forum: Soaring December 7th 17, 03:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Ely, Nevada - Accident?

Coming back down a dark cloud street over a mountain valley I pulled into a

vigorous thermal at 50 kt.

Some 270° in the first turn I was flipped inverted and spat out on a
downline in
an eye...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 17, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
Max Weight of Non Lift Producing Components

The weight of the wings should not change much from the factory weight
until
repairs or refinishing.

In the fuselage, instruments, batteries, O2 system, pilot, chute,
documents,, tie
down kit,...
Forum: Soaring November 24th 17, 05:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By George Haeh
CG Trimming after Tail Boom Repair

The factory can add tail ballast to suit the first owner's weight and CG
preference. The factory documents will show how much, if any, ballast was
added.