Forum: Soaring November 3rd 18, 05:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for A-14 (or similar) pressure breathing diluter demand regulator

On Tuesday, October 30, 2018 at 2:32:17 PM UTC-7, Keith Schwab wrote:
Hi Everyone!
I'm looking for an A-14 regulator, or something similar, to prepare for higher altitude wave flights in the...
Forum: Soaring October 17th 18, 03:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Harris

Apparently he passed through my club airfield on a cycling trip once - unfortunately that was years before I started flying so I never got to meet him.. Reading the relevant back issues of Soaring I...
Forum: Soaring September 17th 18, 08:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

We've had a few club trailers with this setup - much like the Kestrel picture functionally but made of two wood pieces with felt pads connected to each other by square section steel tube and strapped...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 18, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Will a Blanik L13 open trailer work for an L23?

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 8:26:18 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Is there anyone that knows if an Blanik L13 open trailer will work for an L23?

If you add a holder for the horizontal...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 18, 05:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

My club has enough parachutes for every glider we have and it's pilot's choice as to whether to wear them. The vast majority do. Here in Canada the type certificates for German gliders are almost...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 18, 05:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grob 102 maintenance and parts manual

Sorry for the late follow up but I got overwhelmed with other stuff - I looked at our 102 Standard III maintenance manual and repair manual and the airbrake system diagram doesn't look detailed...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 18, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Grob 102 maintenance and parts manual

On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 7:00:06 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 3:21:47 PM UTC-4, Tango Papa of IN wrote:
Recently I Purchased an Astir CS. I was...
Forum: Soaring July 4th 18, 05:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Opinions on NASA lift theory?

"They make some of the ugliest planes
in the world, except for the Spitfire, there must have been a Frenchman,
an Italian, or an American involved in that design."

Yeah the...
Forum: Soaring June 6th 18, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Here we go again

If you think ridiculous arguments about gliders and soaring started with RAS go back and read Soaring magazine through the 60's and 70's. The letters section had some pretty amazing stuff. The...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 09:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5th year of living dangerously with LiFePo4 batteries

I know of one glider here in Canada which burnt up while in the trailer as a result of a metal rigging aid falling onto the battery (placed in the trailer's cargo area) and shorting it out. I also...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 18, 08:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Good lubricant for assembly

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 6:34:36 AM UTC-7, Senna Van den Bosch wrote:
I'm trying to find a good lubricant for assembly, available in Europe. Any ideas? Currently using regular vaseline.

If the...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 18, 07:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kestrel 19 info wanted.

"modified to have a double-panel spoiler, but it wasn't approved for general use and apparently didn't do much except make more noise"

Is more airbrake really needed on a Kestrel? I've never had a...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 9:27:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 11:23:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
This happened on my ASW-15 a few years back -...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 18, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pitot system - odd event

This happened on my ASW-15 a few years back - when it was stored in the locked trailer in a garage over the winter. It was fine on the last flight of the year at the end of October and when I took it...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 18, 08:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 12:37:03 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Not to start another chapter in "Battery Wars" but I have a simple question about "drop in" LiFePO4 battery replacements for...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 18, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Better self rigging system

On Sunday, May 13, 2018 at 3:48:50 AM UTC-7, Steve Cameron wrote:
I'm sure someone has come up with a much more user friendly system for self rigging vs. what I'm currently doing. My new to me...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 18, 09:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scotch tape

On Saturday, May 12, 2018 at 8:39:52 PM UTC-7, ASM wrote:
I used to buy 1” tape to seal my wing/fuselage and the rest from Uline. Inside of the roll the only thing it says is 3M Scotch. Does...
Forum: Soaring May 10th 18, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glide computer in certified glider

If the glider was built in Germany there's probably also a TN from the manufacturer giving guidance on installing equipment. Linked as an example is the one Schleicher provides. This sort of thing...
Forum: Soaring May 10th 18, 02:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glide computer in certified glider

"A savvy A&P with a pen."

Probably the best advice here. Even under Transport Canada's somewhat pickier reign all I've ever needed with this sort of installation is the sign off in the log book of...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 18, 06:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoebus A as a first glider

The wings are often crisscrossed on older glider trailers in general. And they frequently put the wings in tip first so you have to walk the heaviest part of the wing the longest distance. I think...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 18, 06:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tapered pins (again)

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 7:10:49 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Helped the new owner beat his 27 together, last Sunday.............he looked shocked when I suggested he "taper" at least...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 18, 08:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
EASA AD on SZD-55-1 "ATA 27 – Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection" Issued

There's one in our club and it passed the inspection. Actually I would be interested to know if any 55's except the accident glider have had the opening on top of the fin enlarged as it did. I'm...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 18, 08:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Phoebus A as a first glider

First off, get someone who knows what they're doing to perform a thorough pre purchase inspection. Type specific experience is a plus but anyone who knows composite gliders well and is willing to...
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 18, 06:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L-23 for sale again

My experience with LET gliders suggests that going for the plain anodized finish is a better idea than getting them to paint the ship. Anodized aluminium isn't the easiest thing to get paint to stick...
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 18, 06:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Proposed SZD-55 EASA AD now out for comment - "Flight Controls – Elevator Control System / Vertical Tail – Inspection"

"When I bought my SZD glider, I found that the previous owner had removed ~10 lbs of factory installed lead ballast from the nose. The ballast mount location was hidden behind an access panel."

Was...