Search: Posts made by: kirk.stant
Forum: Soaring August 13th 19, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Pawnee Tow Release

Install a Tost reel system and you can use a simpler “release” setup due to the use of a guillotine. Very little force needed to cut the tow rope so the release lever can be smaller and mounted...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 19, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 10:24:38 AM UTC-5, Mike Schumann wrote:
The problem with PowerFLARM today is that it does not reliably show you all GA traffic. It does NOT support TIS-B or UAT, so...
Forum: Soaring July 31st 19, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 7:26:19 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Kirk, with respect, are you holding your breath for all those club gliders to get Flarm? ADSB is CLEARLY the 'way to go'...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 19, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Tuesday, July 30, 2019 at 9:25:46 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I would choose ADSB over PowerFlarm now, for a glider and a towplane.

Yeah, right, I'm not holding my breath for all those...
Forum: Soaring July 30th 19, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 7:32:06 PM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:

Interesting, your Pawnee must have better visibility below than the three that I have owned.

Well, I'm more concerned about...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 19, 06:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
More sad news

On Sunday, July 28, 2019 at 4:34:57 PM UTC-5, Bob Youngblood wrote:

This is troubling, towplane and glider collide, not good. I fly both ends of the rope, there is never a single second that I...
Forum: Soaring July 8th 19, 01:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Will a Blanik L-13AC fit on an enclosed L-23 trailer?

Title says it all, trying to move an L-13AC, which has the old L-13-style folding tail (plus a small dorsal fin) from St Louis to Jacksonville.

Kirk
66
Forum: Soaring April 30th 19, 12:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
ILEC SN10 version 2.45 released

On Monday, April 29, 2019 at 9:08:50 PM UTC-5, Dave Nadler wrote:
Thanks to all the folks who helped with testing!
Best Regards, Dave

Forum: Soaring April 7th 19, 08:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Gliders for sale

St Louis Soaring Association is selling it's 1-34 and L-13AC; please see the ads on Wings and Wheels for details and photos.

Please feel free to PM me at stantkirk at gmail dot com if you are...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 19, 12:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

On Monday, April 1, 2019 at 6:01:10 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
I can only speak for AS.......20, 24, 28, 29 for single place glass, ASK-21 for dual......not counting many...
Forum: Soaring April 1st 19, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Avare

On Sunday, March 31, 2019 at 10:58:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:

How would Ms Johansson help with an adsb traffic display?

She would call out the traffic, because I sure wouldn't be...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 19, 05:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
travel time to gliding site / club?

Almost exactly 1 mile from my house to my glider club's airport.

Why would anyone want to live further?

Kirk
66
Forum: Soaring March 5th 19, 08:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Tow rope musings - informal survey

On Saturday, March 2, 2019 at 11:03:29 AM UTC-6, Matt Herron (Sr) wrote:
You may "see" the appeal of it, but believe me, actually seeing the tug almost on top of you is far less appealing. It's a...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 08:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Tow rope musings - informal survey

I read somewhere (old Soaring?) about extremely short (as in a couple of meters) tow ropes being used to aero retrieve out of dusty, plowed fields; the idea is that you are so close to the tow plane...
Forum: Soaring February 28th 19, 08:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
OLC max altitude self censorship

Dan,
Yes my Oudie2 runs on SeeYou. I bought it about 5 years ago and connected it to the portable FLARM with the Oudie2 cables. My Oudie2 altitude trace, as filed on OLC, has always shown the GPS...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 19, 07:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Problem with Grob-103

Maybe it's really a 2-33 in disguise...

66
Forum: Soaring December 28th 18, 03:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Taildragger Technique for Gliders

So, Cookie, please be so kind as to educate us on your taildragger techniques (in gliders, of course).

66
Forum: Soaring October 29th 18, 09:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
17.6 meter tips for Ventus C ?

On Sunday, October 28, 2018 at 8:49:10 AM UTC-5, wrote:
At 45 degrees left bank, I applied right aileron, but the ship kept rolling left!

JJ, that sounds like classic...
Forum: Soaring October 21st 18, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Greatful for this group

Pitch vs power is a lot more subtle than just pushing the throttle up or pushing the stick forward to speed up; the real answer (IMHO) is "it depends on where on the L/D curve you are". At high...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 18, 02:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Anti-collision strobe lights

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 10:08:49 PM UTC-5, Gerry Simpson wrote:
Does anyone have knowledge of documented studies showing the efficacy of the strobe light bars which are available to be...
Forum: Soaring September 20th 18, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
A few newbie questions about the sport

On Tuesday, September 18, 2018 at 6:00:07 PM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:

Sorry can't afford transatlantic telephone calls - I asked a fairly simple

question, why can't you answer this on a public...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 18, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Vario Comparison

On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 10:50:35 AM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:

One of the things I love about a 2-32 is that they are an honest spinner, like a T-6, ham fist it and over you go,...
Forum: Soaring September 8th 18, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Vario Comparison

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 8:21:39 PM UTC-5, Mike Borgelt wrote:

To digress from the vario topic slightly:
Which is why I said that flying attitude can kill you. I think this is what...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 18, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Electric Winch Project

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 8:29:48 PM UTC-5, WB wrote:
You bunch of electric sissies! I want a glider with a huge freakin pulse jet strapped to it burning heavy crude or coal tar, throwing...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 18, 06:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By kirk.stant
Hard wax v/s liquid wax (and turbulators)

Didn't Dick Johnson run some tests on a Pik-20 that suggested that smooth but not polished was very slightly better than waxed to a mirror finish?

One would think that an Akaflieg would have looked...