Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 03:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Dream Panel

I've got two G5s in my airplane, one as an ADI and the other as an HSI.*
Either can perform the functions of the other and the internal battery
is good for 4 hours, I believe.* Great...
Forum: Soaring July 20th 18, 10:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
AK-X swept wing sailplane

There are plenty of cheap Cessna 182s in the US.* They can be fitted
with a tow hook and are probably less expensive to acquire and maintain
than an ag plane.

On 7/20/2018 10:05 AM, AS wrote:
Forum: Soaring July 19th 18, 02:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Rescue Aid

You don't have to strap it to your parachute.* Simply empty the can into
your pants pocket and go fly.* If you don't land out, transfer the
contents of your pocket back to the can.

On 7/18/2018...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 10:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Using XCSoar you can switch between displays by swiping left to right or
right to left.* Don't know if Top Hat retained that functionality.

Regarding Android devices for running these programs, I...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Experimental Letter

And, as I recall, I kept a copy in the glider, as well.

On 7/16/2018 7:27 AM, SF wrote:
It's a program letter, and it goes to the "line Manager" at your local FSDO. I would call your local FSDO...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 02:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Which ClearNav vario display?

I started by replacing my CAI-302 with the analog CnV XC vario.* At the
time, ClearNav was offering a 25% trade-in allowance for the 302.* I was
very happy with that deal and the XC vario worked...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Which ClearNav vario display?

Yes, the ADC drives both CNv displays simultaneously.

On 7/14/2018 8:30 PM, wrote:
Not sure of the question, but if it's which ClearNav VARIO display to use (and not...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Which ClearNav vario display?

I use both.* I prefer the mechanical needle as a lift/sink indicator vs
the sliding scale on the left side of the digital display.* I also LOVE
the thermal helper...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 04:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Ventus 3F - Fatal

The LAK-17 is a flapped ship, so I doubt flaps had anything to do with
it.* Let's not blame the pilot prematurely.

On 7/15/2018 8:25 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Locating device mounting

A space blanket staked out on the ground can be a good signaling device.

And, for those of us who want a cushion between our lower backs and
parachutes, consider a rolled up blanket.* Your rigger...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 02:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Ventus 3F - Fatal

Renny was a very thoughtful and careful pilot.* His hangar faced mine
and I was there when he brought his new V3 home.* Were it me, I would
have flown it that day, but Renny spent well over a...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 02:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

On 7/14/2018 7:53 PM, wrote: My edits to Chip's
statements.
A few thousand bucks spread over the remaining years of your soaring career is nothinig. You owe it to...
Forum: Soaring July 13th 18, 10:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

As far as I recall, it was all included in the price.* Maybe Evan will
chime in...

On 7/13/2018 2:57 PM, kinsell wrote:
You mean it's all just included in the product?* That ought to really
Forum: Soaring July 13th 18, 07:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

Yeah, I forgot about ENL.* That's another thing my ClearNav products do
for no extra charge.* And I can use the igc files generated by them for
the Flarm range-checking software.

On 7/13/2018...
Forum: Soaring July 13th 18, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

I was very disappointed to see that I would have to pay a bounty to get
igc logging with my PF Portable.* Thankfully, both my ClearNav II and
ClearNav XC varios generate an igc file and it's much...
Forum: Soaring July 13th 18, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Ventus 3F - Fatal

My wife helped Renny remove his tail dolly and I launched him.* Then we
went home and didn't learn of this tragedy until the following day.

Deepest condolences to his family and to his many...
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 18, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Oudie Live for IOs?

That was interesting in a negative sense.* I bought an iPad 4 mini
specifically to connect to my Garmin GTX-345 ADS-B transponder in our
Cessna 180 via Bluetooth.* It works really well.* Is that...
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 18, 03:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Opinions on NASA lift theory?

On a more serious note, the folks who design and build gliders probably
have a good idea of what creates lift.* Why not ask them? Or do you
suppose that they know "how" but not necessarily...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 18, 10:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Opinions on NASA lift theory?

So how does all of this (lift demons, CDU, etc.) explain the fact that
British aeroplanes [sic] also fly?* They make some of the ugliest planes
in the world, except for the Spitfire, there must...
Forum: Soaring July 1st 18, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Questions for SGS 2-33 Operators

Could you not paint the inside of the fabric, or would that not be an
approved modification?* I would think your A&P could approve that.

On 7/1/2018 9:35 AM, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
The Central...
Forum: Soaring June 30th 18, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Emergency Exit

To me the major advantages of a BRS over a personal parachute are the
speed and certainty of deployment.* Of course either system may fail or
malfunction, but with the BRS, you lose the difficulty...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 10:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

Sorry, I should have read the whole thread before asking another
question.* It was answered later.

On 6/29/2018 3:36 PM, Dan Marotta wrote:
But can you inspect your own glider and sign it off or...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 10:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

But can you inspect your own glider and sign it off or must some
appointed person do it?

In the US many years ago the FAA required a logbook entry with each
assembly of a glider.* The Soaring...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Stall, spin fatality today in Arizona.

Things may have changed since I last flew in Australia back in the
mid-80s.* I was surprised when I said I would preflight my ship and was
told that I was not authorized to do that!* Only the...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 02:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Emergency Exit

An excellent idea!

On 6/28/2018 6:49 PM, wrote:
Dan,

As you said, "Not to change Dave's thread on leaving the Arcus," On every flight, we have training opportunities.

I...