Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 10:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Brian,

Interesting stuff, especially about the color display and faster processor. I've noticed the Kobo is slower even than the Dell Streak 5 in some ways and I suspect that some of the uneven...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Galloway (P1)

Lots of memories of Ray going way back. He was, indeed, a true Southern gentleman with a dry sense of humor that he exercised often to general hilarity.

A few moments of comedy were unintentional,...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Which ClearNav vario display?

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 10:21:12 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I assume it is still the case that you have to pay an extra $600(!) for the XC license just to get the...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

See how easy that was? Spend your money now while you can enjoy it
rather than using it to pay someone else to wipe your chin when you
drool... Said with affection. ;-)

Taken....
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Which ClearNav vario display?

A circular needle tells you how strong the lift is (I used to have a pure netto vario in another glider and liked that a lot; a quick 2 kts offset gave me relative netto). But it also gives you...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 03:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Which ClearNav vario display?

Not sure of the question, but if it's which ClearNav VARIO display to use (and not comparing the vario's LCD display with the big ClearNav navigation tablet device), I'd love to have both. The...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ILEC SN10 v2.44 released

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 9:47:56 PM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Thanks for that 21 years Dave. None out there like you!

KS

Same. I've never actually bought one of Dave's SN10s...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Fair enough on my past objections to GPS. :D They were, at the heart of it, primarily financial. I tossed an inexpensive handheld GPS receiver into the cockpit as soon as they were legal and happily...
Forum: Soaring July 14th 18, 12:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 4:59:00 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
You mean it's all just included in the product? That ought to really
**** off Chip. 'Course lots of things seem to **** off Chip.
Forum: Soaring July 13th 18, 07:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 1:16:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
CAI loggers were not a forced requirement. Many pilots used Volksloggers in that era.

You are correct that CAI loggers...
Forum: Soaring July 13th 18, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 11:13:21 AM UTC-4, Eric Foertsch wrote:
Thanks Kinsell for this and prior comment.

I guess I didn't notice (or forgot) that SeeYou produces a .cai file also..

Forum: Soaring July 12th 18, 07:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

Whichever you don't buy will turn out to be better. :) I bought a fiberglass Cobra 26 years ago for my ASW 24 because I didn't want to deal with leaks between aluminum panels. Later Cobras seem to...
Forum: Soaring July 12th 18, 07:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

No irony Evan. Every software effort has ongoing bugs and enhancements. The fact that Tophat is as useful as it is, while being free, is wonderful.. Big thanks to the developers, especially...
Forum: Soaring July 12th 18, 04:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

T8,

I was thinking about proposing that the ClearNav software be made open source. Then we could all enjoy the fun. :)

JB
Forum: Soaring July 12th 18, 05:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 at 8:24:36 PM UTC-4, Mike C wrote:
The XC Soar manual is relevant to learning Top Hat.

The XC Soar manual is relevant to Top Hat. The main difference is how the...
Forum: Soaring July 12th 18, 12:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Bearings

Echoing UH's warning, the drum can crack in the thick area where the bearings are inserted. Don't know what caused the one we found but I suspect heating it up to higher than normal temps doesn't...
Forum: Soaring July 11th 18, 10:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

A very long, detailed, and not-guaranteed-accurate post for Top Hat users in response to a couple of questions. Don't say you weren't warned! Just my interpretation. Would love to hear other views...
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 11:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

On Monday, July 9, 2018 at 6:05:30 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Thanks Chip. I second your request. Specifically: after I manually switch from (auto-entered) circling screen to cruise...
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 11:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Thanks Chip. I second your request. Specifically: after I manually switch from (auto-entered) circling screen to cruise screen I want to be able to manually go back to the circling screen. ...
Forum: Soaring July 9th 18, 06:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Just to close the loop on this Top Hat question, it does not appear that I can do what I want to do. I flew both days this past weekend and tried different configurations. Top Hat will autoswitch...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 18, 04:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

I will argue with that. SYM is a huge step back from either XCSoar or TopHat…

Based on my and other reported experiences, I think the best system is whatever you are comfortable with and is...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 18, 04:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 2:37:33 AM UTC-4, Wyll Surf Air wrote:
Just remember it will the zoom both in and out of circling mode are sticky so they will go back to what you were using the last time...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 18, 02:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

On Friday, July 6, 2018 at 3:41:09 AM UTC-4, waremark wrote:
What Wyll and 6pk describe is what the OP wants EXCEPT he also wants to be able to make the switch manually so that when circling he can...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 18, 05:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

I am using a Kobo Glo with Top Hat.
I am also using three different pages and different infoboxes (menulookinfoboxes)selected for each page for; circling,cruise and final glide functions.
Forum: Soaring July 5th 18, 10:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Do you actually have a circling page and a cruise page set up or are you using the auto page unknowingly for both?

I've done it both ways [I think]. Originally defined two sets of infoboxes (climb...