Search: Posts made by: Thomas Borchert
Forum: General Aviation July 24th 10, 08:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Student Pilot & Aviation Headsets

Brian,

The most accepted headset among airline crews is the David Clark range:
$250 - $800

I have to disagree here. Strongly. First, I have never seen a DC in an
airline jet cockpit. Second,...
Forum: General Aviation July 24th 10, 08:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Student Pilot & Aviation Headsets

Jessica,

I am worried because the Zulu isn't TSO'd.

AFAIK, you need a TSO only in commercial use under certain conditions.

The Sierra is the low cost headset from LS...

--
Forum: General Aviation July 18th 10, 09:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.misc
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Student Pilot & Aviation Headsets

Jessica,

but I do want a good, sturdy headset that will last me at least 5
years.

If that's your goal: Lightspeed Zulu - no question. It's currently the
best headset around. And I have...
Forum: Products January 2nd 09, 09:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.products
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Lightspeed Zulu - Tell me what you think

Do you have this headset?

Yes. I love it! No pictures, though. It looks pretty much the way it
looks...

We took it up together with a Bose. Main impressions of the three
pilots present:

-...
Forum: Products December 31st 08, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.products
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Lightspeed Zulu - Tell me what you think

I am thinking about purchasing the lightspeed Zulu and would like to
see your pictures and read your comments aboiut it before i buy.

What pictures?

You can't go wrong with it. At the price,...
Forum: Piloting October 4th 08, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Just push the blue button!

Tman,

That's IMC buddy.

Show me the regs! Show me where it says in the regs that IMC is defined
as "any weather in which only flight by reference to instruments is
possible" or something to...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 7th 08, 09:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Sam,

Not in the U.S.

Source? A source that shows a Garmin GTX330 does not transmit flight ID
data in the US would suffice.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 6th 08, 09:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Peter,

which display aircraft
registrations do it by containing software and database to decode the
24-bit code.

Why wouldn't they simply use the flight ID data field?

--
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 5th 08, 03:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Jay,

In the US, the tail number is assigned an 8-digit octal number to be used as
the flight ID algorithmically by the FAA.

Hmm. Do you have a source for that? Since every airline flight...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 5th 08, 08:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Peter,

Doesn't the system process the flightid field?

Some do. In Europe, more and more do.

Or isn't that
transmitted?

It certainly is.
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules September 5th 08, 08:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Mode S transponder display to ATC?

Paul,

Is it normal practice for a Mode S transponder to display the aircraft
tail number to ATC?

Mode S transponder have the option of setting a flight ID or the tail
number in a data field...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules August 24th 08, 02:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Approach Question

Vor-Dme,

PT or NoPT?

Well, where on the chart does it say "NoPT" for that case?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules August 24th 08, 11:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Vor-Dme,

First off, please tell me if this is the right forum for newer-minted IR
pilots to discuss approach questions?

Absolutely. Welcome!

If so, have a look at this one :
Forum: Piloting August 24th 08, 11:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Thomas Borchert
MAP behavior question

Bob,

Same indication as with engine running.

The important thing to always remember is that "Manifold pressure
sucks", which is also the title of John Deakin's brilliant Avweb column
on the topic...
Forum: Piloting August 15th 08, 08:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Let's move on

Marco,

so I never see their threads and most related
content.

Yes, but the problem is that there's not much left after that.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Forum: Piloting August 14th 08, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dudley,

Give it a try.

I might. Thanks for the explanation.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Forum: Piloting August 14th 08, 11:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Viperdoc,

I suggest joining Pilots of America

Well, from where I sit, the title is somewhat exclusive...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Forum: Piloting August 10th 08, 07:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Viperdoc,

several weeks ago I blocked everything from MX and Bertie. Since then,
the message count has dropped immensely, to a bare trickle. I still
don't find anything worth reading anymore....
Forum: Piloting July 20th 08, 05:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Constant speed prop question

RST,

Those cities would also have contained many more historic buildings if your
elected leaders hadn't invaded Poland, France, Czechoslovakia, and a few
other minor countries.

No doubt...
Forum: Piloting July 20th 08, 05:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Constant speed prop question

Terence,

Just to clarify, it's engine rpm for all the blanks?

There is no difference between the two. Change one, and the other
changes in the same way.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Forum: Piloting July 20th 08, 03:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Constant speed prop question

Mike,

originated
out of military teachings that applied to very different pilots doing very
different things while flying very different aircraft.

Actually, it couldn't have been all of...
Forum: Piloting July 20th 08, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Constant speed prop question

Terence,

whether it is engine or prop
rpm

They are connected at a fixed ratio (1:1 on direct drive engines), so
the distinction doesn't matter.

May I recommend John Deakin's engine...
Forum: Piloting July 14th 08, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting,aus.aviation
Posted By Thomas Borchert
Which handheld transceiver?

Jay,

I'd have looked long and hard at
the Vertex radio that does both the air band and the 2-meter ham band

That radio doesn't exist anymore. The FCC...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Forum: Piloting June 6th 08, 08:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Maxwell,

but it does depend on how you define "the problem".

The problem is SNR.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)
Forum: Piloting June 5th 08, 08:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jay,

this thread is a wonderful example of how the dynamics work. Maxwell
engages the idiots, and a flood of messages ensues. Right in the
middle, gregvk is asking "ok, what is this all about?" -...