Search: Posts made by: Fred[_5_]
Forum: Soaring February 28th 12, 04:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Article on glide strategy

Good article, John. It deserves wider distribution. Thanks for the
analysis.
Forum: Soaring February 16th 12, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Important message about transponder use

Just got the following from Gordon Boettger. Please pass along as
appropriate. Fred

========================

Folks,
Just spent the day at OAK ARTCC. They keep emphasizing that for
safety reasons...
Forum: Soaring January 15th 12, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Minden Soaring Club meeting 1/14/12

Minden Soaring Club held a chili feed and meeting yesterday in the
SoaringNV hangar. Attendance was not all we hoped for, but we did
sign up new members and found great interest in MSC's...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 12, 11:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Boots for cold weather Soaring

Dave:

Unless you're planning to do much walking, I swear by shearling boots
(almost high-top slippers) in a larger than normal size. They're
available during winter in Costco for less than $50. ...
Forum: Soaring November 14th 11, 07:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Minden Soaring Club spaghetti dinner 11/20

Pilots who fly out of Minden, or just want to support the efforts of
the Minden Soaring Club to preserve and grow soaring in this amazing
site, are invited to attend the spaghetti feed and annual...
Forum: Soaring September 30th 11, 04:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Shaping wing tip skids

Why shape them? Put a thin layer of Bondo on the base of each skid
and have the Bondo conform to the wing shape by pressing it against
the wing exactly where you will ultimately put the skid. Make...
Forum: Soaring September 29th 11, 04:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Pawnee front seal leak

Find a mechanic who knows how to replace the seals -- simple things
like bathing the seal in warm oil for 10 minutes before putting it on
will save you a lot of headaches. I had a problem with oil...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 11, 06:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Devin wins again

Congratulations again, Devin! Way to go. Fred
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 11, 03:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Wanted: Rich Widow with Glider

You left out the most important part: "A/P and IA certificates a
definite plus. Composite repair skills absolutely necessary."
Forum: Soaring June 1st 11, 02:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
OLC listings for 5/31 have Minden at #1 and #2

Impressive flights in Sierra mountain wave May 31. Both started from
Minden: http://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-2.0/gliding/daily.html?
st=olc&rt=olc&df=&sp=2011&c=US&sc=

Congratulations to Gordon...
Forum: Soaring May 19th 11, 04:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Weather humour

Speaking of weather humor, one of the participants at the Hilton Cup 2
years ago shared the following expression, said to be current in
Germany: "you don't _have_ to be a weatherman to lie."
Forum: Soaring May 17th 11, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Thank you Badge Dude (US)

I've got to add my thanks too. I'm an OO and have observed several
state/national/world records and a large handful of badge claims since
Rollin took on this thankless job, and the manner in which...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 11, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Another altitude diamond in Minden

SoaringNV claimed another altitude diamond today with a nice flight to
26,000+ feet. Nenad Isakovic, originally of Serbia but currently
living in the UAE, came to Minden last week to stay for as...
Forum: Soaring March 8th 11, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
MKV Yaw String??

Ask him about his new tractor. He doesn't even come to lunch any
more!

If his email bounces try replacing "verizon" with "frontier"

Fred
Forum: Soaring March 3rd 11, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Old Parachute

Dan:

Contact me if you draw a blank on a local packer. fred.lasor AT
gmail.com
Forum: Soaring February 25th 11, 04:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
1585 Km wave flight out of Minden 2/24

Gordon Boettger and Hugh Bennett, flying a Duo Discus, had a nice wave
flight out of Minden Thursday -- 1580 Kms up and down the east face of
the Sierras.

The flight is on OLC -- go here for the the...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 11, 09:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Come join us!

Minden Soaring Club: Wing up!
Minden, NV, February 3, 2011. Minden Soaring Club will spread its
wings once again when it holds a barbecue/business meeting March 4 at
the SoaringNV hangar at the...
Forum: Soaring February 16th 11, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Incredible wave flight in progress right now

Gordo and Hugh landed back at Minden around 4:00 after an 11 hour
flight. Preliminary reports are of a total distance over 1,000 NM,
but because of the way the wave shifted during their flight south...
Forum: Soaring February 15th 11, 07:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Incredible wave flight in progress right now

Gordo Boettger and Hugh Bennett launched out of Minden this morning to
see if they could make a high-speed dash south along the Sierras and
then back to Susanville. Start just south of Susanville at...
Forum: Soaring February 14th 11, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Join with us to re-build Minden Soaring Club

Minden Soaring Club will spread its wings once again when it holds a
barbecue/business meeting at 5 PM March 4 in the SoaringNV hangar at
the Minden-Tahoe Airport. The purpose of this meeting is to...
Forum: Soaring December 18th 10, 03:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Ridge Soaring Clouds

Dave:

Yes, it's obstruction ridge or wave. The difference is whether it's
on the windward or leeward side of the cloud. The obvious sympton of
wave is laminar flow, which I've flown on the leeward...
Forum: Soaring December 4th 10, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
PowerFLARM deployment issues

I'll second Eric's request: a manual now would be a very big help, to
operators, to instructors, to avionics shops, and obviously to the
software folks who will be working on compatibility issues. ...
Forum: Soaring September 5th 10, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Global Warming and what you can do against it

Woody:

Since the original poster did not sign his post I think even he does
not believe in what he wrote. Just stirring up the natives. . .
Fred

Regards.
Forum: Soaring August 16th 10, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
Glider Property Tax - Colorado?

On Aug 15, 7:19*pm, tienshanman tienshanman.
wrote:
Can anyone tell me whether one must pay property tax on a glider in
Colorado? If so, how is it calculated? There...
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 10, 03:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Fred[_5_]
New Nationwide Squawk Code

Dave asks a good question here. He and I discussed this in the hangar
before he posted it, and I didn't have a good answer then. After
giving it more thought I tend to lean in favor of 1200 because...