Search: Posts made by: Mike Granby
Forum: Piloting August 30th 09, 12:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Twin take off on one engine?

On Aug 28, 11:23*pm, "vaughn"
wrote:
"a" wrote in message

Forum: Piloting August 17th 09, 03:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Night Currency - Why Full Stops?

On Aug 15, 10:46*pm, K l e i n wrote:

If you are flying a more complex aircraft, you really want to
get off the runway, stop and grab the checklist to make sure
you are...
Forum: Piloting August 8th 09, 08:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Rutan on Global Warming

On Aug 7, 5:05*pm, "Dan Luke" wrote:

Burt Rutan is climate genius, too! *He knows more
than the scientists. Impressive!

Rutan's pitch was that he was coming at the...
Forum: Piloting August 4th 09, 07:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Rutan on Global Warming

Slides here, but no audio, which was of course the best bit...

http://www.slideshare.net/QuestSystems/agw-analysisrutanv5-read-only
Forum: Piloting August 3rd 09, 10:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Rutan on Global Warming

Anyone else see his Oshkosh tirade? Excellent stuff!
Forum: Piloting June 24th 09, 03:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Clearance on hold, hold for release

Further to this, I found this in the ATC manual...

http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraffic/air_traffic/publications/atpubs/Atc/Chp4/atc0403.html#atc0403.html.1

"Hold for release" instructions...
Forum: Piloting June 24th 09, 03:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Clearance on hold, hold for release

I've only ever heard "hold for release" at non-towered airports when
using an RCO or when working via FSS. Then, it's part of the clearance
and needs to be read back. At a towered airport, I don't...
Forum: Piloting June 23rd 09, 07:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Closed Airspace

I suspect this is your explanation:

Now that makes sense. Especially since after I went VFR, the
controller gave me a time at which to contact Seymour Approach if I
lost radio contact with him...
Forum: Piloting June 22nd 09, 01:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Closed Airspace

He should have listed the airspace by name..
did he? A Restricted area or MOA?

Nope. Just "airspace closure".

He cannot clear non participating IFR aircraft through an
active MOA. Non...
Forum: Piloting June 20th 09, 06:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Closed Airspace

Near Seymour Johnson, so I did consider that it was the MOA north of
there, but then why wouldn't he offer me a descent to 6000 instead to
go under it, since I was only at 8000. (I've flown this...
Forum: Piloting June 20th 09, 03:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Closed Airspace

Yesterday I was flying from York PA to Myrtle Beach IFR, direct to
destination at the time, and the controller called me and said that I
had to make a decision. The airspace ahead was "closed" so I...
Forum: Piloting December 20th 07, 08:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Transponder Goes Up To 8

Here's the answer from a very kind soul at Gables...

The G1884 series started in 1965. I started in this business in
1967. I don't know the whole story but back then ACT control
panels allowed...
Forum: Piloting December 20th 07, 05:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Transponder Goes Up To 8

On Dec 20, 11:26 am, Larry Dighera wrote:

Also interesting is the 1884C's Volume control!

It's also a control head for a MB receiver.

That control is labelled MARKER, and also...
Forum: Piloting December 20th 07, 03:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Transponder Goes Up To 8

On Dec 20, 3:31 am, Larry Dighera wrote:

Decade electrical switches are easier/
cheaper to procure than octal switches?

That would explain 0-9, but these are 0-8.
Forum: Piloting December 20th 07, 03:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Transponder Goes Up To 8

On Dec 19, 6:06 pm, Jim Logajan wrote:

Just curious - but does it look like either of these:

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/txp2.jpg
Forum: Piloting December 19th 07, 08:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Transponder Goes Up To 8

I find myself holding a 747 transponder control head that I bought on
eBay as a toy for the kids. But, with echos of Spinal Tap's guitarist
in my head, I notice that the selector knobs allow the...
Forum: Piloting October 7th 07, 05:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Force feedback versus real piloting?

My only data point on this is that when I was doing my instrument
training, I flew safety pilot with my CFII's son. He'd done a huge
amount of simulator flying to learn the basics of insturment work,...
Forum: Piloting September 26th 07, 02:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
another radial question

why don't we use radials now?

Lubrication is a messy business, AIUI.
Forum: Piloting September 2nd 07, 03:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Huge TFR Around Washington?

If you and the controllers read the NOTAM, then
where did the puzzle come from? :)

We don't. That's the point.
Forum: Piloting September 2nd 07, 03:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Huge TFR Around Washington?

I am a member of AOPA, but I've not been visiting their website
recently as I've been getting fed up of reading all the GA-versus-the-
airlines stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm on their side, but it's...
Forum: Piloting September 1st 07, 03:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Bonanza crash caught on video

Another witness mentioned an engine sputter

Whatever the cause of a crash, there's always someone who hears the
engine splutter...
Forum: Piloting September 1st 07, 03:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Huge TFR Around Washington?

NOTAM 7/0204 Your briefing should have included the info.

Well, yes, we all read all of those, just like the approach
controllers do. The point remains that having an enormous red hatched
area...
Forum: Piloting September 1st 07, 02:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Huge TFR Around Washington?

So, I was flying from my home base at York, PA today and saw a huge
TFR around Washinton on my 496. What the heck is that, I'm thinking?
It goes all the way out the HGR and nearly up to THV....
Forum: Piloting August 1st 07, 04:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Pictures from Oshkosh 2007

BTW, that was the LOUDEST flight demo I have ever heard.

And not only do you hear it -- you FEEL it, too!
Forum: Piloting August 1st 07, 11:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Mike Granby
Pictures from Oshkosh 2007

Great pictures...the only thing I would add is that
the "military cub" looks like a Stinson....

Thanks! My aircraft ID skills are a bit sketchy...