Search: Posts made by: Bill T
Forum: Soaring June 28th 16, 03:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
weight and balance question

Find a local car club, they may have 4 electronic scales or know someone who does. A good local airplane shop may have portable electronic scales or know someone who does. Remeber, the key is to...
Forum: Soaring June 8th 16, 04:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
ADS-B Out rebate from the FAA

Let's not get this started again.
ADS-B Out requirement for 2020 does not apply (currently) to gliders.
A "motor glider" is a glider, self launch capable.
Airworthiness Certificate should say...
Forum: Soaring May 30th 16, 06:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Experimental question

I'm sure someone will correct me if I misstate. In the US, TN are the same as Service Bulletins, recommended but not mandatory.
Manufacturer would have to ask their country of manufacture to issue an...
Forum: Soaring May 30th 16, 04:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Oudie and 7.1 see you moble

I guess I'll wait until I hear from Cumulous Soaring that the download and install is clean.
BillT
Forum: Soaring May 30th 16, 03:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
back up gps?

Back up GPS for navigation? Paper chart and Mk-1 eyeball.
I've only used an Oudie for a couple of summers, with a nano data logger.
They go down, it's the paper chart.

BillT
Forum: Soaring May 24th 16, 12:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Glider rating to LSA rating

The Portland FSDO is wrong.
You have Pvt glider which includes LSA glider aircraft, to include a self launch glider with a self launch endorsement.
Pay attention to the differences between...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 16, 03:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Auto-Towing - why is this not more popular?

Club function. We do it twice a year if the weather cooperates. Not too much wind and a dry lake, no rain in the previous two weeks.
El NiƱo is making it tougher to get it done.

LVVSA.org.
BillT
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 16, 04:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Glider rating to LSA rating

If you have a Private Glider or Commercial Glider rating and want to fly light sport glider, I don't see the problem. You are already qualified to fly a glider above 10,000 MSL.

If you want to fly a...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 16, 04:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Glider rating to LSA rating

There seems to be something wrong in that Phoenix link.
He states it is a LSA Glider, and states an airplane rated pilot can fly it?
I don't think so. If the aircraft certificate says glider, then a...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 16, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

Until the smart DPE starts looking in the applicants log book for the last Flight Review endorsement.
Soon Flight Review endorsements may need to be filed electronically through IACRA, then the...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 16, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Tow Pilot Currency and Proficiency

I believe the reg used to say 12 months, and they changed it to 24 months a few years back, for tow pilot currency.
Part of initial tow pilot training includes flights in the glider, so was the reg...
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 16, 03:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

As everyone has responded , ME FSDO did not do his research.

With a PP Glider certificate, you can act as PIC for solo operations in an airplane with the 61.31 endorsement.
Regardless what the ME...
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 16, 05:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

If by Bill, you mean me?

It is my understanding that The FAA no longer considers a pilot with a certificate, a student. They are a rated pilot in search of additional ratings.
Hence they do not...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 16, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

Completing the flight portion of a wings program requires 3 modules, completing maneuvers to PTS standards.
Completing a wings program for flight review credit allows you to act as PIC in aircraft...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 16, 04:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

Wings credit for a flight review. You can't get a "flight review" in an aircraft you are not rated in.
If you could, then a non glider rated pilot could get his flight review 61.56 sign off in a...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 16, 03:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Flight review required?

The Flight Review credit is only awarded in the aircraft you are rated. An airplane rated pilot, completing wings courses for gliders will not apply to the flight review needed to solo the glider....
Forum: Soaring April 28th 16, 03:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
FAA sticks to its guns on not allowing solo glider flight for outof currency power pilots

The FAA is sticking to its guns in holding that a rated power pilot who is out of currency in his power rating cannot...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 16, 11:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
CCSC Landing Accident?

They did, tow landed downwind, lost control, hit glider. Glider totaled. Tow facing repairs and engine teardown inspection.

BillT
Forum: Soaring April 26th 16, 02:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
CCSC Landing Accident?

Thanks Tony, I missed the Convention, I'll look them up.
BillT
Forum: Soaring April 25th 16, 04:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
CCSC Landing Accident?

So sorry to hear about loss of control landing accidents. Especially when metal gets bent.
And now an engine teardown.
Landing on grass is very forgiving, quartering tailwinds not...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 16, 09:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
CCSC Landing Accident?

They must have pulled the picture, I don't see it in FB now.

Why land downwind, our Pawnee hates Downwind landing, even if it's only 3-5 knts.
BillT
Forum: Soaring April 24th 16, 08:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
CCSC Landing Accident?

Someone mentioned that on another posting, not on R.A.S., but no details.
Sounds like someone lost control landing downwind and took out the second aircraft?

I presume that details are being...
Forum: Soaring April 24th 16, 05:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Flight review required?

FAA Wings program for a flight review qualification still requires flying with a CFI.
Forum: Soaring April 24th 16, 05:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Bill T
Flight review required?

Doesn't the Sport Pilot require solo time in the glider prior to the double instructor sign off on the 8710-11? How does he do that without a flight review?
Because when it comes down to the bottom...