Forum: Soaring August 1st 18, 09:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Silent Skies

Good to have a President that gets out of the swamp at every chance.
Forum: Soaring July 31st 18, 01:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Silent Skies

On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 11:21:35 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sunday, July 29, 2018 at 4:04:38 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Skydive New England got permission to...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 18, 09:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Silent Skies

On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 4:13:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Saturday, July 28, 2018 at 9:48:47 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Ask for an exception. Been granted to...
Forum: Soaring July 28th 18, 02:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Silent Skies

Ask for an exception. Been granted to others in the past. Or move the club to Wurtsboro for the next 6 years.
Forum: Soaring July 22nd 18, 11:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Silent Skies

After years of being shut down by POTUS vacations Skydive New England got permission to operate when POTUS was in Kennebunkport. Dropzone was one or two miles inside the TFR. We're almost up to...
Forum: Soaring July 4th 18, 02:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS 33

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 6:46:45 AM UTC-4, Ross wrote:
No K, no W, no H and no G, simply AS 33

https://www.alexander-schleicher.de/en/alexander-schleicher-presentsthe-as33/

Forum: Soaring July 3rd 18, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emergency Exit

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 8:00:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I have flown with a a 1050-BRS for about 10 years in two Genesis-2 sailplanes (sold one, missed it, so I bought another one...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 18, 10:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Round vs Square E-Chute

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 1:01:45 PM UTC-4, Andy Blackburn wrote:
What are the differences in opening speed/altitude by parachute size or shape? The prevalent view on skydiving forums seems to be...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 18, 04:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Round vs Square E-Chute

On Monday, July 2, 2018 at 11:08:37 AM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 9:16:18 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I forgot to mention - my wife had our master rigger add...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 11:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any details on Nephi incident?

Skydive tradition is you get your rigger his prefferred bottle of booze after using his reserve pack job.
Forum: Soaring June 25th 18, 04:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Parachute Landing

Dan you can collapse a square by pulling any line. That said best plan if it is windy is to pull on one brake toggle, might have to windup some line. If you are going to collapse a square by...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 18, 02:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Round vs Square E-Chute

On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 5:59:34 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I was looking at a friend's round emergency chute over the weekend which was open for inspection - no toggles. It also had...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 18, 01:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Round vs Square E-Chute

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 4:00:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
To be properly considered as a emergency chute suitable for the majority of glider pilots a square chute would have to be...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 18, 01:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Round vs Square E-Chute

On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 1:04:59 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I wonder what role terrain makes in the decision? A round seems like A better choice if trees are abundant, square if...
Forum: Soaring June 23rd 18, 03:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Round vs Square E-Chute

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 7:32:53 PM UTC-4, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Three years ago when I got back into soaring I talked to serveral riggers about a round vs square chute. The riggers,...
Forum: Soaring June 22nd 18, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any details on Nephi incident?

On Friday, June 22, 2018 at 2:34:03 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Can you get an emergency chute in ram air? This is from a parachute web site. “Because of the advanced characteristics of these...
Forum: Soaring June 22nd 18, 07:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any details on Nephi incident?

Heal fast. Looking at the picture I'm going to suggest a ram air parachute might have avoided a lot of pain. If you can afford one upgrade, if you are buying a new one get square. The difference...
Forum: Soaring June 21st 18, 11:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bumper stickers

On Thursday, June 21, 2018 at 4:01:55 AM UTC-4, bumper wrote:
Eagles are self-launchers!

As are basejumpers.
Forum: Soaring June 17th 18, 11:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New low budget two seater

I've not completely given up on R.A.S. just yet, so I'll ask my question here. Why would this project produce two place trainers that were less expensive than the PW-6 built in Poland? BTW, the...
Forum: Soaring June 13th 18, 12:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Safety against commercial pressure?

On Wednesday, June 13, 2018 at 1:43:24 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I prefer to start this new thread rather than to pollute the original, related to the recent fatal Teton crash. I have...
Forum: Soaring June 8th 18, 12:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Average time to solo a student

On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 8:40:12 PM UTC-4, SoaringXCellence wrote:
On Thursday, June 7, 2018 at 3:54:17 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Power transition. Soloed after 4 flights in a...
Forum: Soaring June 7th 18, 11:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Average time to solo a student

Power transition. Soloed after 4 flights in a glider, flight #4 being a simulated rope break. All before lunch on my first day flying gliders.
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 06:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

Imagine one of the European sailplane companies decided innovation was too expensive and reselling what they already make is the way forward and started lobbying EASA and the FAA that all their...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 12:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

Okay, Bob I get it, you are not a good mechanic, and might I add, economy of phrasing doesn’t appear to be a strong suit either :) “Totalitarian”, really, we are talking about a safety...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 18, 02:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rigger who will pack a 20 year old chute?

On Saturday, June 2, 2018 at 1:20:44 PM UTC-4, Dan Marotta wrote:
I hated trading in my 42-year-old Pioneer Thin Pack, but following the
unfortunate experience of a local pilot (injuries on...