Forum: Soaring September 11th 18, 09:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

Hi Chris, not sure if that would fix every problem. We have had a major fire in Australia possibly caused by a fuel leak from one engine while the other started - creating an ignition source....
Forum: Soaring September 10th 18, 08:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Js3 jet catastrophic failure.

One potential problem with multiple jets is if one starts while the other doesn’t but pumps fuel through.
Good engineering may help but there is a known issue there. (PM)
Forum: Soaring September 5th 18, 06:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Gawthrop(F8)

Sad to hear, we enjoyed their company when he and Diane came out to Australia to fly the Benalla pre-worlds in our ASW28.
He was a true gentleman, he will be missed.
Tom
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 18, 08:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

JS, for real landing flaps you will need to wait for the AS33. ;)
Tom
Forum: Soaring August 21st 18, 08:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
World-Wide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange

Thanks from Australia as well! Makes life easy for comp pilots and organisers.
Tom
Forum: Soaring August 8th 18, 11:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Stall spin during aero tow? Std cirrus

The simple facts are that heavily loaded modern gliders need a ****load more speed than older light wingloading gliders.
Some tug pilots seem to not know the difference.
When I am in the tug I reckon...
Forum: Soaring August 2nd 18, 12:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kawa leading.....again.

Not necessarily in cruise though! ;)
Tom
Forum: Soaring July 31st 18, 09:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Day 2 of 18m WGC

Plus an ASG29 is in second place overall after winning day 1. :)
Forum: Soaring July 24th 18, 01:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US team silence

I agree with Sebastian.
One reason I am not flying this year on Australian team.
Tom
Forum: Soaring July 5th 18, 11:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
NZ Glider Hangar Question

At least the latest one was built by Nigel Davy from Shotover Engineering.
They are the best I have seen Worldwide.
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 18, 03:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emergency Exit

The biggest negative for the BRS is cost. Ongoing with inspections/repacking and timed replacements
Also I have seen a video testing it with a Discus and there are certainly issues with speed and...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 18, 03:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towplane-Baron accident

I am with Bruce.
Go arounds/balked landings are part of flying, trained reguarly. All very sad but the main cause of the accident was not the tow combination being in the way although it was a...
Forum: Soaring May 20th 18, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A Simple Question About LiFePO4 Batteries

My Xcom radio contunually shows “low bat” wth Lithium battery until about 8 hours when it becomes normal.
I suspect the high voltage triggers the “low bat” signal.
Forum: Soaring April 29th 18, 01:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASG-29 Coke Bottle Whistle

Same as Gintas, put internal V seals each side of rudder opening.
Tom
Forum: Soaring March 25th 18, 12:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cockpit exit assist for older pilots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=paDcDvF0aSM

May be way to adapt NOAH for everyday use.
Forum: Soaring February 8th 18, 09:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SGP vs. Normal Racing

The finish is not the problem. The reason for limited numbers at a SGP is the starts, 20 gliders on the line at the same height, speed and time is enough.
Tom Claffey
Forum: Soaring February 6th 18, 10:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SGP vs. Normal Racing

Although GP racing is a spectacle for the public, and yes I would prefer a little higer start, I find it more enjoyable to fly and more social amongst the pilots than the high pressure WGC...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 18, 10:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASH-25J Crash in Aus

Justin, the previous engine in this glider had not run for probably 20 years, you sure this glider had a previous fire? I do know of two other ASH25 with fires, but ASH25Ms, not ASH25e. As you said,...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 18, 09:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Towing with a Pawnee 150

The only 150Pawnee I have flown has been converted to LS1 Chev engine. It is now superb! :)
Forum: Soaring January 30th 18, 12:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASH-25J Crash in Aus

The fire was before the crash, seen to be on fire on downwind.
Tom
Forum: Soaring January 24th 18, 01:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
RIP Tomas Reich - SGP Chile

Mountain flying is different, no floor system would work.
The terrain in Chile is not so easy, I am sure the tasking is also difficult to juggle all issues.
Regarding hazardous pilots, two of the...
Forum: Soaring January 20th 18, 12:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Waikerie

And check the details in soaring spot.
Norm Bloch in a JS3 maxed out the area task and came in about 14Mins early, raw speed 179kph!
Higher wingloading on huge days is an advantage. (Not possible at...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 18, 07:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tying down a fiber glass ship.

I have seen numerous times that Colin’s method will bring grief.
If you have not got the sense to tie your aircraft down then trailer it or move it a LONG way from my glider. (New rudder due...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 18, 01:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Exceptional Soaring Weather Recently in Australia

Yes Dave, I did a lazy 750km O&R at Narromine in the ASW28 at over 130kph under nice CU while Kerrie has “borrowed” my 29 for the season.
I am sure there are some crappy blue days down South!...