Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring September 14th 19, 03:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Skysight

Looking at today's forecast for Moriarty, NM, USA for 1300 local time
brings up a question.* I've always considered the thermal height, cloud
base, etc., to be MSL altitudes.* Indeed, looking...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 19, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
LAK17A Canopy Support Tube

....Or you could contact the LAK factory...

On 9/13/2019 5:18 AM, wrote:
Wow, serious crack approaching faulure.
I would take it to a welding facility that is proficient in...
Forum: Soaring September 13th 19, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
I just noticed

Sounds interesting.* Keep it coming, but maybe announce on this forum
when there's new functionality.

Great job, BTW!

On 9/13/2019 6:39 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, September...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 19, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
I just noticed

On Skysight, when you hover your cursor over any location, a readout of
the selected data is displayed.

Is this a new development or was I just late in noticing?* BTW, I like it!
--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 11:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have a military style breaker mounted to the left arm rest, under the
side pocket.* It is heavy and will make short work of a canopy if
properly used.* These were mounted to the canopy rails of...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 19, 03:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
another crash

Check the type certificate data sheet for your glider and the equipment
list.* The TCDS for my Stemme said words something like, "Everything in
the equipment list PLUS a canopy breaker...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 19, 04:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Logan, Utah Mountain XC Camp Report

Excellent report, Lee!* And good advice on the type of flying required
to climb the ridge east of Logan.

Next time you get there use water in that Discus.* You'll be glad you did.

On 9/5/2019...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 19, 03:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Wiring Harness Needed

What surprises me as a former radio maintenance technician then a
systems engineer is that they would change the wiring harness at all.*
All two way comm radios require the same basis signals:*...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 19, 03:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
another crash

Not having read the report, I wonder:* As the canopy rotates upward and
aft about the Roeger hook, given the position of the headrest, does it
rotate forward and upward hitting the pilot in the...
Forum: Soaring September 4th 19, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing Gear Handle Interferes With Dive Brakes

Thanks Charlie,

It's getting late here so I'll look at it in the morning.

On 9/3/2019 6:07 PM, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Hi Dan, couldn’t find the thread where Stemmefires were mentionedso I though...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 07:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
"Do It Yourself" airborne proximity warning device

Does Stratux transmit?* I don't think so.

On 9/1/2019 10:31 AM, Linar Yusupov wrote:
Folks,

you are breaking spears while trying to decide if this foreign DIY open source and hardware project...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 05:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

Oh, give him a break.* Ol' CQ probably loaned his 7-year old grandson
his computer to play with.* Every one knows that no adult would make
such a stupid remark.* Maybe we should spin the kid up...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 05:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Seminole Lake Gliderport for sale

But, but, but...* Will the hangar withstand the hurricane?* I truly hope so!

On 8/31/2019 6:28 PM, Gary Wayland wrote:
On Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 10:27:58 AM UTC-4, Burt Compton - Marfa...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing with broken rudder cable

I have a Dynon D-10a in my panel and I'm qualified to use it.* A lot of
these new glider computers have an attitude indicator function. It would
pay dividends to learn how to use it.

On 8/31/2019...
Forum: Soaring September 1st 19, 01:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing with broken rudder cable

That's why I've already made my bail out decision in the event of a
fire.* A friend in the Dominican Republic died because he didn't wear a
parachute and he couldn't get it back to the airport in...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 19, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing with broken rudder cable

Be my guest.* If I feel the need, I'm jumping.

On 8/30/2019 9:17 AM, BG wrote:
Better to crash land in a field, than to have your plane fall to the ground while you float down in your chute.

--...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 19, 03:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
pipistrel Sinus Max Flex 2018 loaded

....new tail wheel...

With my much older Sinus, a large problem was keeping it below red
line.* With the 80 hp Rotax, it gets up and scoots!

And, for Dave:* There's a 180 in the hangar for when...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 19, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing with broken rudder cable

Nice job!

...But that's why I carry insurance on my glider and always wear a
parachute.* My biggest fear in the Stemme (and it's not really that big)
is fire, and I've already established my...
Forum: Soaring August 25th 19, 06:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing Gear Handle Interferes With Dive Brakes

Yes, pain is a good motivator...

I would love to have a horn silence button which resets when the dive
brakes were closed.* We had one of those on the B-727.* It was reset
when throttles were...
Forum: Soaring August 25th 19, 03:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landing Gear Handle Interferes With Dive Brakes

I keep hearing that that is a good thing, but I beg to differ.* Some
times it's a good thing to be able to extend the brakes/spoilers in
flight without lowering the gear.

An example of the above...
Forum: Soaring August 23rd 19, 05:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Bumper Miracle Slide

Hollow point or ball? :-D

On 8/23/2019 2:01 AM, bumper wrote:
A one inch thick piece is said to stop a 45 ACP bullet.

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring August 23rd 19, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

It's not the same with other self-launchers, of course, but my S10-VT
has a turbocharged, 4-cylinder engine rated at 115 (nominal)
horsepower.* With the turbo, it achieves its rated power to a...
Forum: Soaring August 22nd 19, 03:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
FS Cambridge L-Nav & GPS 20

Ball?* Hell.* Steve needs a pellet vario!

On 8/21/2019 5:00 PM, wrote:
Well, if your fitting out a Granau Baby, you’ll need an A-8 oxygen regulator and a Ball...
Forum: Soaring August 20th 19, 03:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Rough outlanding in high corn

BBs.

On 8/20/2019 7:11 AM, wrote:
So, if a jet engine is running when landing in a corn field, does it blow grits or popcorn out the tailpipe?

--
Dan, 5J
Forum: Soaring August 19th 19, 05:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

There was a lot of concern at Moriarty during the recent 1-26 contest.*
Many pilots of glass and carbon ships were worried about being rear
ended by a 1-26 rapidly overtaking them.

On 8/19/2019...