Forum: Owning February 12th 07, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
faster 182?

On 12-Feb-2007, "Dan Luke" wrote:

The bad news is that we were burning
15.5 GPH to get that speed.

My suspicion is that part of the increased cruise speed is the...
Forum: Owning January 18th 07, 04:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cherokee 235 vs Trinidad vs Comanche

On 17-Jan-2007, Ray Andraka wrote:

I believe it. The dakota has the tapered wing where the 235 does not.
In the case of a PA32, the tapered wing adds about 200lbs to...
Forum: Owning January 16th 07, 01:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cherokee 235 vs Trinidad vs Comanche

On 15-Jan-2007, Frank Stutzman wrote:

I'm not a particularly tall person so I find I can sit under the
ruddervators and it works almost as well as a cessna...
Forum: Owning January 16th 07, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Cherokee 235 vs Trinidad vs Comanche

As others have pointed out, between a Cherokee 235/Dakota and a Comanche 260
you are really talking about two different classes of performance. The
primary difference is that the RG of the Comanche...
Forum: Owning December 3rd 06, 04:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
First plane

Flying your own airplane CAN be cheaper than renting, but only if you fly
quite a bit -- at least 150, and more likely 200, hrs per year. Very few
private pilots have the need for that much...
Forum: Owning November 30th 06, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Question: Sharing Ownership and Flying Costs

We do things in a simpler fashion for our Arrow. Fixed costs and
maintenance costs are split evenly among the three co-owners. We do not
charge ourselves any hourly fees for reserves, and thus each...
Forum: Owning November 23rd 06, 07:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Voluntary CAS Required

On 21-Nov-2006, "Vaughn Simon" wrote:

http://wingsandwheels.com/page4.htm

msrp $499 U.S.

If my information is correct, that particular unit...
Forum: Owning November 20th 06, 04:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Garmin 396 Reception Problems - Latest Observations

On 19-Nov-2006, Mike Spera wrote:

So now what? Some suggested that the Narco nav/coms were not properly
shielded. While others speculated that the interference is...
Forum: Owning November 20th 06, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
backup for vacuum pump/attitude indicator failure

The 396/496 gives you XM-WX capability, which you can also add to your '430.
If you already have the weather capability in your '430, I'd opt for a
lower cost Garmin, like a 196, to provide backup...
Forum: Owning November 10th 06, 11:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Companies Allowing Employees to Fly

On 9-Nov-2006, Mike Spera wrote:

When you do the math, the mileage reimbursement does not even cover fuel
in an airplane.

Maybe if you're flying a turbine powered...
Forum: Owning October 20th 06, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
musings - way waay OT

On 20-Oct-2006, "Denny" wrote:

A lesser skilled employee receives Medicaid and food stamp assistance for
herself and her
child...

Am I the only person who sees the...
Forum: Owning October 7th 06, 05:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
dodged another one!

On 6-Oct-2006, Michelle P wrote:

Looks like 1995 was a good year for IO-540s!

I believe the bad crankshafts were manufactured beginning in 1997.

We...
Forum: Owning October 7th 06, 04:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Garmin 396 Trip Report (long)

On 5-Oct-2006, Mike Spera wrote:

By the way, I am Instrument rated. But there was no way I was going to
attempt flying in the clouds that day. The cold/damp conditions...
Forum: Owning September 28th 06, 04:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Garmin SL30 COMM problem?

On 28-Sep-2006, Ron Natalie wrote:

You do know that "pulling things to verify serial numbers"
is not legal owner maintenance

Ron,

Actually, removal and replacement of...
Forum: Owning September 27th 06, 03:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Hangar & PortAPort Ground Rent

$280/mo for unheated T-hangar with concrete floor, manual sliding doors,
with 115 VAC (no extra util. charge). Heated restrooms are a couple of rows
over. Wash rack is available (and they even...
Forum: Owning September 25th 06, 05:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Ron did it!!

On 24-Sep-2006, "M" wrote:

Now remember, IFR in a light plane can only really safely go in about
20% of the instrument weather mother nature can throw at you.

Where, prey tell,...
Forum: Owning September 24th 06, 05:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Adding a Partner

The way I've always done it (over 30 years, 3 co-owned airplanes, and many
different partners) is as follows: Each co-owner is free to sell his/her
"share" for whatever amount the market will bear. ...
Forum: Owning September 21st 06, 12:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Engine stoppage during idle

On 19-Sep-2006, Peter wrote:

I have done some test runs today and found that the problem can be
repeated if one quite decisively pushes the throttle shut - that drops
Forum: Owning September 14th 06, 08:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Garmin 600

On 14-Sep-2006, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

That's actually an amazing deal when you consider all it replaces. It
would probably cost you more than that just to replace all your...
Forum: Owning September 14th 06, 12:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
Garmin 600

There is a brief article on the G600 in the "Airways" section of the
September issue of Flying Magazine. No prices, though.

-Elliott Drucker
Forum: Owning September 9th 06, 08:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
My Next Adventure! Departing 09-11 Over The Pond Again!!

I really like St Johns to Santa Maria it's lot quicker!

Quite an adventure, to say the least.

I note that BGR (Bangor) to BEY (Beirut) is 4557 nm via great circle route.
Your route totals 4642,...
Forum: Owning September 9th 06, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
GNS 430 reception problems

No way the sensitivity difference between the two radios should be 20 dB --
that reflects an incident signal strength difference of 100-fold! If the
Garmin is not defective (and the unit swap seems...
Forum: Owning September 9th 06, 06:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
KX-155 static

On 8-Sep-2006, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

What could cause the KX-155 to put static through the headsets
even when its not the selected radio?

Could be a lot of things. I...
Forum: Owning September 9th 06, 06:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
GNS 430 reception problems

On 7-Sep-2006, Kevin Clarke wrote:

When running the recv sensitivity test, the KX drops out much later than
the GNS.

Was the RX sensitivity test done on the bench or in the...
Forum: Owning September 6th 06, 05:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.owning
GNS 430 reception problems

The avionics shop should be able to test COM receive sensitivity through the
plane's antenna with the unit installed in the plane, very simply using a
suitable signal generator (that every shop...