Forum: Soaring February 18th 19, 06:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring with the Champions Videos Available!

Aero Club Albatross' videos have also been uploaded to the SSA's YouTube Channel and shared on its "Training & Safety" Playlist. See:...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 19, 12:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sun Ship Game on Youtube - Complete

I've watched The Sun Ship Game probably a dozen times in my life but finally bought a copy to play for friends. I agree with Juan Mandelbaum that we should honor the copyright and purchase a copy...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 19, 09:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfing and Soaring?

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 6:26:39 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Does anyone who's done both seriously care to contrast the two?

I've only read autobiographies of ocean wave surfers,...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 19, 08:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Surfing and Soaring?

On Thursday, January 31, 2019 at 6:26:39 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Does anyone who's done both seriously care to contrast the two?

I've only read autobiographies of ocean wave surfers,...
Forum: Soaring February 2nd 19, 08:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AN EVENING WITH SEBASTIAN KAWA

David,

Thanks for lining this up. Kawa is no doubt among the best soaring pilots alive, and it would be great to get his perspective on his training/practice regimens and team preparations, and get...
Forum: Soaring February 1st 19, 05:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Videos Wanted!

The Soaring Society of America has re-launched its YouTube Channel and now has a custom URL everyone will recognize. Be sure to have you club link to it from your website or imbed any videos you...
Forum: Soaring January 31st 19, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Videos Wanted!

Excellent suggestions everyone!

We were aware of most but not all the videos you guys suggested but your assistance has been helpful nonetheless. When the time comes, we'll reach out to the...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 19, 11:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Videos Wanted!

The SSA has to obtain written permission to use copyrighted video footage glider pilots have posted to their personal YouTube accounts. We are in the process of lifting a great deal of video footage...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 19, 09:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soaring Videos Wanted!

GoPro and Other HD & 4K Soaring Videos Wanted!

The SSA is looking to its members to submit any 1080-HD or 4K soaring video you think the SSA might like to use in producing future promotional...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 19, 08:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is a Public Liability Insurance Requirment or Glider Club

SSA/Costello policy also offers clubs an endorsement for additional insurance to cover your club's CFIG's in the event someone sues them or your club for negligent flight instruction/student pilot...
Forum: Soaring January 14th 19, 07:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is a Public Liability Insurance Requirment or Glider Club

The SSA/Costello policy covers liability and hull insurance for the aircraft and its operators but does not cover airport operations I don't believe. Costello sells SSA Chapters a separate policy...
Forum: Soaring January 12th 19, 11:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA Youth/Junior Flight Training Scholarships 2019

The SSA has extended its deadline to Junior (youth) members ages 13-24 to apply for one of several flight training scholarships to March 31, 2019.

The 2019 Unified SSA Junior/Youth Scholarship...
Forum: Soaring January 12th 19, 11:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SSA Youth/Junior Flight Training Scholarships 2019

Download the 2019 SSA Unified Scholarship Application he https://www.ssa.org/files/member/Unified%20SSA%20Junior%20Scholarship%20Application%20Rev%202019%20iss%202.pdf
Forum: Soaring December 21st 18, 12:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wings & Wheels moved

Congrats... taxes in California are expensive. Best of luck in the new location!
Forum: Soaring December 18th 18, 06:39 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
About the Governance of the Soaring Society of America

It's been brought to my attention that some members have asked where they might find documentation relating to the governance of the SSA (on its website). I hope this sheds some light and puts to...
Forum: Soaring December 18th 18, 05:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oudie 2's needed

Correction: We're looking at the Kobo (not the Nook).

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 9:29:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Tony,

You might consider training beginner xc pilots using...
Forum: Soaring December 17th 18, 02:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Oudie 2's needed

Tony,

You might consider training beginner xc pilots using devices that run Top Hat or XC Soar. It lowers the barrier to entry when they use their own personal devices when flying a single-place...
Forum: Soaring November 30th 18, 05:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Contest Wait list

I once looked at the makeup of foreign teams at the WGC. Several European teams had one young pilot in his late 30's or 40's and one older experienced pilot in their late 50's or early 60's competing...
Forum: Soaring October 22nd 18, 09:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
New SkySight color scheme

I guess if it turns yellow or red you have better banked up some goodwill with the wife so you can go outside and play on those days. Sandhill is just 4sm from Hell. Literally. Hell, Michigan. We...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michigan Ohio Indiana Pilots Rent DG-505 in Florida

Michigan, Indiana, Ohio Glider Pilots:

Sandhill Soaring Club is considering making its DG-505 (N505DS) available for rent to club members for $50/hour in sunny Florida from December through end of...
Forum: Soaring September 25th 18, 01:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Region 4 South as of Monday afternoon.

I'm already having withdrawal symptoms from having cancelled due to work conflicts. If you've never been to R4S you need to check it off your bucketlist next year. New Castle is nothing less than a...
Forum: Soaring September 23rd 18, 03:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
20 Meter two-seater added to Club Fleet in Michigan

Sandhill Soaring Club is excited to announce that it recently procured a race-ready, 20 meter two-seat DG505 ELAN Orion and Cobra trailer. The ship will be utilized for cross-country training, upset...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 18, 06:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vermont Fatalities Today

Our thoughts are with their families, spouses and children, and with their friends and anyone who knew them from the gliding community. I think we all get a heavy heart when we hear of tragic news...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 06:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pre Pan-American and 2018 Canadian National Gliding Competition

Sandhill Soaring Club may have 2-3 members willing to rent their Standard Cirrus gliders to contestants flying in the PanAm Continentals next year. I will get the word out as best I can.

-Chris...
Forum: Soaring August 29th 18, 04:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cause of accident revealed...

I just checked my flux capacitor to make sure it was working right. LMAO. Thanks Dave!

CN