Forum: Soaring May 11th 19, 01:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nearest near-miss?

The two biggest blind spots are below and in front of you or above and behind you. My closest is the one I didn’t see but was told about it by a rather reputable pilot after the fact. I was flying...
Forum: Soaring March 9th 19, 09:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Passing of Al Leffler

Al was one of my closest friends for over four decades in soaring. One of his most heroic efforts was the number of gliders he saved when a nose hanger caught fire just before the 15M nationals...
Forum: Soaring December 23rd 17, 09:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dennis Tito's flight

Jim Payne’s record flight in Minden 2015 was over 2,900 km. 1,000 km out and return of it in a less than 4 hrs!
Forum: Soaring October 28th 17, 07:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What sunglasses are best for flying gliders?

Years ago I had Suntigers made to my prescription. It got pricey to change them every time my prescription changed. I contacted them and had a pair of clip-on’s made. Never looked back and never...
Forum: Soaring February 17th 17, 11:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
S-turns on final

On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 5:17:58 PM UTC-8, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 4:17:08 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Eh, I get twitchy getting...
Forum: Soaring July 6th 16, 01:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CAUTION Wake Turbulence

As more & more pilots are aquiring self-launching or touring motorgliders they may find themselves flying from fields with private jet or tanker traffic.

Last weekend I was taxing my ASH-26e out to...
Forum: Soaring September 19th 15, 12:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Anyone have access to a Haig Minibat?

Not sure what country you are in but here in the US I would go to the FAA registry, get the names of builders, and see if I could contact someone close to you. Good Luck!
Forum: Soaring February 10th 15, 08:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Best Storm Stories

After the 1975 open class nationals in Hobbs, (which was know for being one of the wettest seasons in history) my father let me fly the family Kestral back home with another friend in his father's...
Forum: Soaring August 8th 14, 07:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
World Championship gliders

Why not try a "soaring regatta"? Gliders types that commit with say more than five entries get their own class and are scored as a one design. If fewer than the specific number of like sailplanes...
Forum: Soaring July 26th 14, 06:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch Polinsky - on FG to Chadron, NE - Free Distance Record

Way to go Mitch, I was following you when I had a chance at work today. You just keep raising the bar! Enjoy the retrieve ;-)
Barry
Forum: Soaring July 24th 14, 07:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2014 US Modern and US Club Class Nationals - Assigned Task calledtoday! FANTASTIC!

About the time they started to do away with assigned task is about the time I dropped out of competition soaring. Sure I tried a couple of contest with the newer task structure but it wasn't really...
Forum: Soaring October 4th 12, 05:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vario's/loggers for sale

Cambridge L Nav 5.8 with 2.25 vario
Cambridge (model 20) flight recorder 6.0 Nav display
HP iPAQ w/XC Soar 6.3
$1250.00 USD complete

Cambridge (model 20) Flight Recorder with Nav Display & canopy...
Forum: Soaring October 4th 12, 05:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WTB Cambridge L/Snav

On Wednesday, October 3, 2012 12:45:04 PM UTC-7, Go Soaring wrote:
Still on the look out for working Cambridge L/S Nav Happy to cover all shipping costs

Have L Nav 5.8 with 2.25 meter, model 20...