Search: Posts made by: Papa3[_2_]
Forum: Soaring September 10th 20, 12:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Refinishing ASW24

On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 5:08:11 PM UTC-4, Chip Bearden wrote:
On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 3:50:55 PM UTC-4, John Sinclair wrote:
On Wednesday, September 9, 2020 at 11:29:22...
Forum: Soaring August 12th 20, 03:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Flarm Antenna Mount JS1

On Tuesday, August 11, 2020 at 8:01:53 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Anyone have a nice, elegant solution on how to mount Flarm antennas on the glare shield of a JS1? I have used plastic...
Forum: Soaring August 11th 20, 03:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Speed of a vario

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 7:07:42 AM UTC-4, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sat, 08 Aug 2020 23:58:05 -0700, Tango Whisky wrote:

Thermals are turbulent, and a 1 sec time constant means that...
Forum: Soaring July 27th 20, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Sandhill Soaring Club Winch Launch Training & Endorsements

The first rule of Winch Fight Club is...

P3
Forum: Soaring June 9th 20, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Private airport or small field for landout?

Here in the Northeast, I've had good luck with "land in hay, make your day". Ideal is recently mown and/or raked. as the mowers and tedders/rakes are only used in hospitable terrain. Obviously,...
Forum: Soaring April 18th 20, 05:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Favorite Aviation Films

Piece of Cake. Not a movie but a mini series. Not exactly upbeat, but a great watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbeA504VzR8
Forum: Soaring April 11th 20, 03:00 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Charlie Spratt

Hey Karl,

I love that last one. Aside from the great story telling, he was one of those guys who truly cared about people.

I think it was my second season of racing when I owned a Baby...
Forum: Soaring April 10th 20, 12:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
When grounded glider pilots get bored ...

Awesome. Whole family just watched with me.
Forum: Soaring April 8th 20, 08:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Seminole-Lake Accident

Sadly, I've got a box of shattered electronics sitting next to my office chair that came from the fatal accident of a good friend. After a lot of very dedicated and diligent work by the...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 20, 03:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Most Competitive Club Class Ship

I've flown with/against Chip the whole time he's owned that -24. Starting with an LS4 (a great climber), I still couldn't out climb him, but he did walk away on long runs especially at higher...
Forum: Soaring March 24th 20, 07:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Are You Ashamed to Land Out?

Read the article regarding the diminishment of guys pursuing badges and a commonly held misconception that it takes...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 20, 09:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
KML to IGC conversion?

On Wednesday, February 26, 2020 at 3:21:55 PM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
I know there are a lot of threads regarding conversion of .IGC to .KML format, but does anyone know of a tool to go the opposite...
Forum: Soaring February 26th 20, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
KML to IGC conversion?

I know there are a lot of threads regarding conversion of .IGC to .KML format, but does anyone know of a tool to go the opposite direction. Obviously, some of the header records etc would need to...
Forum: Soaring February 22nd 20, 02:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Andy McQuigg

Andy visited Van Sant about 20 years ago. We went on a short XC around southeastern PA.

Me: EA say position

EA: Position

Me: EA let's try this again.

EA: how the hell should I know. I...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 20, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Mecaplex canopy window lube

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020 at 2:58:45 AM UTC-5, bumper wrote:
I spray a Q-tip with a bit of silicone spray. Doesn't attract dirt, slicker than snake snot on a flat rock.

Just curious. Exactly...
Forum: Soaring January 21st 20, 12:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
wanted, a tail dolly for a Grob 103 Twin II

On Sunday, January 19, 2020 at 10:04:13 AM UTC-5, Scott Williams wrote:
My club wants a cuff style tail dolly for a Grob 103A twin II
Scott,
Oklahoma Soaring Assc.

This may sound like the...
Forum: Soaring January 9th 20, 02:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Sailplane Refinishing Advice - 1973 Berkshire Concept 70

On Thursday, January 9, 2020 at 12:54:02 AM UTC-5, Shaun Wheeler wrote:
Looking for advice on a refinish. I don't have Bob Ireland's excellent contacts in the sailplane business so I'm working at a...
Forum: Soaring December 23rd 19, 07:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Ventus 2b vs ASW27b ..Which is the better / nicer aircraft?

Recent conversation with a well-known commercial glider repair station owner.

Me: How much (ballpark) would it cost to get a 15M glider refinished in Poly. Assume standard crazing and no repairs...
Forum: Soaring October 25th 19, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
gel coat

The picture about midway down the page on Richard's blog pretty much mirrors the way we do. Same tools. Same papers. Same hand-sanding blocks. I've actually been creation a Bill Of Materials on...
Forum: Soaring October 24th 19, 05:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
gel coat

On Thursday, October 24, 2019 at 10:15:44 AM UTC-4, Tango Eight wrote:
On Wednesday, October 23, 2019 at 4:45:51 PM UTC-4, Charlie Quebec wrote:
I know of several cases where the top layers of...
Forum: Soaring October 19th 19, 11:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Sad news WH

On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 11:05:55 AM UTC-4, Paul Remde wrote:
On Saturday, October 19, 2019 at 8:00:05 AM UTC-5, Scott Calvert wrote:
Yesterday we lost WH. RIP Bill!

I should...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 19, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
RIP John Shelton, Pez D Spencer

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 2:46:20 PM UTC-4, JS wrote:
John was great. And for those who didn't know, his actual contest ID was 05 or "Zero Sinko" in Spanglish.
The Region 12 t-shirt that...
Forum: Soaring October 8th 19, 01:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Task Planning and Flight Review Software - alternative to SeeYou?

What are people using nowadays for task planning and flight review? I've had SeeYou since the beginning, but I'm finding the latest versions to be so bloated with extra features that it's becoming...
Forum: Soaring September 28th 19, 12:16 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
gel coat

On Thursday, September 26, 2019 at 8:40:34 PM UTC-4, Charles Longley wrote:
How many wing failures have composite gliders had over the years?

A fair number, but I can't think of any that were due...