Search: Posts made by: OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 10:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge 302 fuse

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 2:14:32 PM UTC-6, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Yes....being picky on spelling/autocorrect....."lose" not "loose"..........

I pick because spelling...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 08:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge 302 fuse

I agree with Darryl on the 1A rating for the fuse and the alternative use of a breaker.

But to be clear about the breaker, and respectfully to Darryl, I would *NOT* use a 1A breaker as you can...
Forum: Soaring December 8th 18, 06:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chicago Seminar with the Perlan Project - Feb 23

The ChicagoLand Glider Council (CLGC) is hosting their 9th Mid-America Soaring and Safety Seminar on Saturday, February 23rd, 2019 from 8AM to 5PM in the impressive Seigle Auditorium in the Business...
Forum: Soaring November 29th 18, 04:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Solar Farm Development Near Glider Port - Problem?

Just to be clear, this proposed solar farm installation would be based on photovoltaics (PV).

The plan for the farm can be seen at...
Forum: Soaring November 28th 18, 11:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Solar Farm Development Near Glider Port - Problem?

My club just got word that a solar farm is being proposed to be built about 1 mile directly off the west end of our runway 9-27. The zoning board meeting is tomorrow which I plan on attending....
Forum: Soaring November 21st 18, 04:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Playing Chicken With The Birds

Around Chicago I see red tails at altitude. Usually it is a quick sighting before they head out but I always fly over expecting lift.

Turkey vultures seem to thermal too low to provide useful...
Forum: Soaring November 12th 18, 02:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASW 27 Instrument Panel Texture

Here is a short presentation on refinishing a fiberglass panel on my old DG and another fellow's PIK with faux carbon fiber.

http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations/#carbonfiber

- John OHM Ω
Forum: Soaring November 4th 18, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WTB Becker AR 4201 Com Radio

On Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 6:30:05 PM UTC-5, Dave Walsh wrote:
At 20:17 03 November 2018,
wrote:
Does anybody have a Becker 4201 radio to sell?
Terry

Forum: Soaring November 4th 18, 11:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LXNav Nano3 Charging and Loss of Seal

This issue may be common knowledge but it was news to me and caught me by surprise last spring.

The prior fall I tucked my Nano3 away for its long Chicago winter sleep. The battery was found dead...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 18, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Video of gliding in the Alps with rain and thunder, video is upfor only seven days. NOT SPAM!

On Wednesday, October 24, 2018 at 1:01:56 PM UTC-5, Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Wed, 24 Oct 2018 10:11:41 -0700, moshe.braner wrote:

How large is the file?

780 MB.

--
Martin ...
Forum: Soaring October 27th 18, 10:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 3:51:58 PM UTC-5, Tango Eight wrote:
On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 4:33:10 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Here is one source for the needed battery...
Forum: Soaring October 27th 18, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What electronics are worth buying - PLBs

On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 9:14:05 AM UTC-5, Dan Marotta wrote:
I have renewed our ACR PLB registrations at least twice and there were
no requirements to test them that I know of.* I...
Forum: Soaring October 27th 18, 06:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge Mark IV Power Cable

On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 11:11:14 AM UTC-5, Len wrote:
Hello,

I have a Cambridge Mk IV vario and am trying to find what connector is used to power it. I believe it's a 3 pin DIN type,...
Forum: Soaring October 24th 18, 10:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What electronics are worth buying

On Tuesday, October 23, 2018 at 4:47:54 PM UTC-5, John Huthmaker wrote:
With Christmas coming up, what are some things worth asking Santa for? Is there any decent GPS devices that are reasonably...
Forum: Soaring October 12th 18, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
instruments for sale

I think that http://glidersource.com is a great place to sell (and buy) instruments. It is my first stop shop. - John OHM Ω
Forum: Soaring October 6th 18, 05:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Becker AR 4201

On Friday, October 5, 2018 at 11:30:05 AM UTC-5, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
At 15:17 05 October 2018, Dan Marotta wrote:
You /_can_/ solder wires into crimp pins.* Tin the wire first and use
Forum: Soaring October 5th 18, 05:21 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Becker AR 4201

The connector may not be listed on the Cumulus-Soaring web site. But I have bought the connectors through Paul before so I believe he stocks them. Drop him an email.

Unsure what you mean by high...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 03:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Becker AR 4201

On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 12:48:24 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Tuesday, October 2, 2018 at 1:20:05 PM UTC-4, Retting wrote:
Wings and Wheels list 4201 hardness for $150, or...
Forum: Soaring September 24th 18, 11:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Physicists train robotic gliders to soar like birds

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/09/180920101605.htm

With this technology could anyone win a soaring contest?

Expiring minds want to know. ;-)
Forum: Soaring September 24th 18, 02:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge 302 Utility

On Sunday, September 23, 2018 at 6:09:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thank you. I will try upgrading the software but my problem is I don’t have an IPAC. The previous owner must have....
Forum: Soaring September 19th 18, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
A few newbie questions about the sport

Ed,

Glad to hear that the gliding/soaring bug may have bit you.

Regarding #2 - Can Gliders take off and land at any airport/airfield...or are there known designated airports?

Lets break down this...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 18, 02:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Jam-nuts (loose)

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 7:18:20 PM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Your or you're?

For the first setting, maybe at least LockTite blue on the threads for the bottom...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 18, 02:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hard wax v/s liquid wax (and turbulators)

On Wednesday, August 29, 2018 at 7:20:29 AM UTC-5, Tango Whisky wrote:
Le mercredi 29 août 2018 13:42:25 UTC+2, Martin Gregorie a écrit*:

Read up on turbulators. They're not needed on...
Forum: Soaring August 30th 18, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vermont Fatalities Today

Three souls lost. Truly sad and my heartfelt condolences to the families and everyone else impacted.

I do agree with John Foster about wanting to know the why's and how's of any accident to learn...
Forum: Soaring August 28th 18, 02:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nano 4 vs Colibri X ?

If your situation is that you are looking for a primary navigation device that also displays FLARM traffic, I would go with the Oudie*. Larger screen, comes with all the needed mounting and...