Search: Posts made by: Nyal Williams[_2_]
Forum: Soaring May 1st 13, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Looking for video of glider spinning in wind tunnel

A couple of years ago there was a video of a V-tailed glider spinning in a
vertical wind tunnel. I believe this was of French origin.

The model had about a six ft wingspan; the tester simply tossed...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 13, 01:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Free Checkride / Free Room at Marfa, southwest Texas

Burt, might it be useful to develop a list of the famous Hollywood types
who took up gliding, and be ready to drop their names around these
high-profile visitors? They seem to respect one another. ...
Forum: Soaring February 21st 13, 04:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
For Sale: IR Tracker

At 23:49 20 February 2013, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
On Wednesday, February 20, 2013 2:53:56 PM UTC-8, Nyal Williams wrote:
Less than 5 hours use. Interested parties call 765 289-6059

what is an...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 13, 11:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
For Sale: IR Tracker

Less than 5 hours use. Interested parties call 765 289-6059
Forum: Soaring July 4th 12, 04:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Natural Point IR Tracker for sale

See Frank Paynter's article in latest Soaring.

At 02:19 04 July 2012, Nyal Williams wrote:
Hardly used at all. Original packing etc. $125 includes shipping in US.

Forum: Soaring July 4th 12, 04:20 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Natural Point IR Tracker for sale

See Frank Paynter's article in latest Soaring.

At 02:19 04 July 2012, Nyal Williams wrote:
Hardly used at all. Original packing etc. $125 includes shipping in US.

Forum: Soaring July 4th 12, 03:19 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Natural Point IR Tracker for sale

Hardly used at all. Original packing etc. $125 includes shipping in US.
Forum: Aerobatics May 28th 12, 10:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.aerobatics
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Spin rotation

What are the things I can do to speed up spin rotation?
Forum: Soaring May 28th 12, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Duckhawk wins

Um, I think the word is pique.

At 05:42 27 May 2012, Wade wrote:
On May 23, 1:24=A0am, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Tuesday, May 22, 2012 11:58:18 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:
Another...
Forum: Soaring March 26th 12, 03:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Minimoa first flight

Several references to other gull winged gliders, but no one mentioned the
Condor IV. There is at least one in the US. I got a ride in one of them
in Cologne at the very beginning of my gliding...
Forum: Soaring July 1st 11, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Barry Schiff

Listen to a bunch of throttle holders talking about flying; what they like
to discuss is systems -- never anything else.

At 15:48 01 July 2011, Bill D wrote:
On Jun 29, 3:50=A0pm, Andy wrote:
Forum: Soaring June 28th 11, 02:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
google groups r.a.s.

Glider Net is suddenly working much better.

At 17:54 27 June 2011, Skyslicer wrote:
seem to be able to post through GG though.

"Frank Whiteley" wrote in message...
Forum: Soaring June 25th 11, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Midair in Finnish nationals

Thanks, I missed this.

I had feared that it might have been a friend I haven't heard from in
quite a while. Not so; sad news nontheless.

At 06:01 25 June 2011, Peter Scholz wrote:
Am 24.06.2011...
Forum: Soaring June 24th 11, 09:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Midair in Finnish nationals

Does anyone know the name of the Ventus pilot?

At 16:32 23 June 2011, Peter Scholz wrote:
Am 22.06.2011 20:44, johngalloway wrote:
The diagram on page 12 of this Powerpoint presentation on the...
Forum: Soaring June 21st 11, 07:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Midair in Finnish nationals

Havew the pilots' names been released?

At 21:45 20 June 2011, Nyal Williams wrote:

"On a percentage basis this sport is not as safe as I
once thought it was. In my short time engaged in soaring,...
Forum: Soaring June 20th 11, 10:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Midair in Finnish nationals

"On a percentage basis this sport is not as safe as I
once thought it was. In my short time engaged in soaring, about a year
and a half I have read of too many mid-airs and deaths. "

There is a...
Forum: Soaring May 27th 11, 11:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
currency for contests

I'm guessing that the prudent thing to do is to stay high and plan on
trying to finish instead of trying to be competitive, but I don't fly
contests. That's the way it worked for sailboat racing for...
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 11, 11:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Glider Recommendations

Where can you rent a Genesis???

At 16:26 23 May 2011, glider12321 wrote:
On May 22, 11:46=A0pm, Greg Arnold wrote:
On 5/22/2011 10:19 PM, Justrolln wrote:

Forum: Soaring May 22nd 11, 04:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Minimum amount of Maximum pilot weight

Does anyone know when the JARs decreed that gliders must henceforth be
built to allow 110kg pilot weight?

Was their a ruling at a lesser weight before that or was it just up for
grabs?
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 11, 02:58 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
May 21st

the wings are metal

At 01:32 22 May 2011, Scott wrote:
On 5-21-2011 23:08, Wayne Paul wrote:
"Scott" wrote in message

As a...
Forum: Soaring May 19th 11, 11:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Getting Raptured This Saturday?

I'm going to take an early tow; this thing could go either way.

Anybody know whether it is EST or CST?

At 21:42 19 May 2011, ContestID67 wrote:
On May 19, 3:53=A0pm, Jim Beckman wrote:
We've...
Forum: Soaring May 18th 11, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
Some limits are necessary

Recall that the very first variometer was used experimentally and
secretively to win a contest in Germany.

At 16:08 18 May 2011, wrote:
On May 18, 11:23=A0am, bildan ...
Forum: Soaring May 18th 11, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
new Soaring article

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

At 22:46 17 May 2011, Rick Culbertson wrote:
Thanks John,
As expected, your soaring articles are entertaining and to quote A8,
thought provoking. I=92m always a...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 11, 11:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
new Soaring article

This has gone on too long on here. You mistake my comments as desires for
the past, which I do not hold, and even more as disparaging newer pilots
because they haven't flown without technological...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 11, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Nyal Williams[_2_]
new Soaring article

No question about that.

When a baby learns to walk it gives up its crawling skill-set for an
overall advantage, but there is no question that it has lost SOMETHING for
a net gain.

At 22:39 15 May...