Forum: Soaring April 18th 19, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Undershoot Vs. Overshoot airport landing accidents

I've experimented with S-turns (after reading George Moffatt). They work well. I was able to turn a much too high approach into a spot landing twice in two tries. Glider folk on the ground...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 19, 06:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonker JS-3 in Sagebrush

Steve,

This post took a lot of courage to write. Thank you for your brutally
honest analysis. Hopefully, the post will have been worth it, if it
prevents just one other new JS-3 pilot...
Forum: Soaring April 9th 19, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Thomas Crown Affair (1968) is included with Amazon Prime

I saw the original with my father just after it was released. We had all heard about the glider sequence but I didn't learn about Roy being the pilot until much later. I had soloed three years...
Forum: Soaring April 6th 19, 06:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Airfoils...

I fear that bugs are a thing of the past at least in Germany where I
fly.

During the last five years it gradually got worse (or better?) until
last year I hardly ever had any noticeable...
Forum: Soaring April 5th 19, 07:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Airfoils...

Once an LS-3 gets dirty or wet, the performance loss is drastic - the
20 hardly suffers. One clear point pro ASW-20.

Cheers
Andreas

Regarding rain, we discovered the LS-3--like the PIK...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 19, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Buying LS3a or ASW20a? ~$25k cross country glider. Which one and why?

Lotta chatter about the LS-3. For the record, the LS-3 and LS-3a are two different animals. As someone noted, the original LS-3 tested equal to the ASW 20 in performance, FWIW. Most LS-3s now suffer...
Forum: Soaring March 12th 19, 05:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

50 years towing for me, with everything from a Jeep CJ-7 (don't ask) to a van camper. I had the tongue of a Komet trailer break where it had previously been bent and straightened. The trailer was...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 19, 07:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

After a number of brake incidents over the years, I added a TPMS to my Cobra trailer last summer before I drove from NJ to TX (Bellacorp from Amazon). It worked as advertised most but not all the...
Forum: Soaring March 7th 19, 11:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Passing of Al Leffler

"Little Boy" Al Leffler was very successful as a pilot and very nice to one of the "new kids" in the nationals back in the 1970s. Another one gone. Condolences to all who knew him.

Chip Bearden
JB
Forum: Soaring February 25th 19, 07:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
high tow vs low tow

I flew at Valley Soaring for a while and did low tow. Worked fine. The only negative I heard was that the glider appears to be lower in the first critical phase of climb so it takes longer to get to...
Forum: Soaring February 21st 19, 05:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

A long time ago, George Moffat referred me to "Learned Optimism" by Martin Seligman. His thesis is that if you think you're stronger, faster, better, healthier, etc , then there's a pretty good...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 19, 10:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

Does anyone know what a Komet trailer with a typical single seat seat glider weighs? Some states in U.S. require brakes if 1500 lbs or more (most are 3000lbs or more).

From memory, our 1978 Komet...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 19, 10:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

Suddenly, Gary Ittner's generosity in sharing his special brews with pilots at the nationals over the years makes a lot more sense. Has anyone actually witnessed P7 having one himself? :)

Chip...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 19, 09:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

Even when I drank (more than 30 years ago when I got into a big health thing), I hesitated to do so the night before flying and I'm not sure I ever did before or during a contest. Did it make a...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 19, 09:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus 2 undercarriage?

Back in the mid-late 60s (1967?), my father had one of the first Diamants in the U.S., a 15 Meter HBV model (with the Libelle 301 wings). The gear collapsed one day when it was about 6 months old for...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 19, 06:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

Besides the odd idea of disabling the trailer brakes, drilling holes in the tongue to promote tongue failures we've previously witnessed seems misguided.
It seems to me that failure mostly occurs...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 19, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

On my trailer, the inner tongue already has horizontal slots in it to allow the tongue to slide. The outer tongue has a hole in it already where the damper strut is anchored. And the bending stress...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 19, 01:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

Off the top of my head, if I wanted to disable the surge brake but keep the parking brake, I'd drill a hole thru the tongue assembly for a bolt that would prevent the inner tube from sliding in the...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 19, 01:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

Off the top of my head, if I wanted to disable the surge brake but keep the parking brake, I'd drill a hole thru the tongue assembly for a bolt that would prevent the inner tube from sliding in the...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 19, 09:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ventus 2 undercarriage?

Don't know the SH gear but as several have mentioned, the over center feature seems common to all. In the LS series, the pivot bolts in the gear can get a little stiff with age, grit, and lack of...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 19, 09:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

I should add that I came back from TSA to the East Coast this summer with the brakes disconnected on my Cobra because they jammed full on during a hard stop. I didn't notice much difference pulling...
Forum: Soaring February 16th 19, 11:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Electric Brakes On Komet Trailer

AL-KO brakes simple? Hahahaha! Things that can go wrong include allowing the lining to wear too much without adjusting (brake shoes can jam in full on position), rubber seal going into cable housing...
Forum: Soaring February 5th 19, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pending reduction in US MAT turnpoint radius

I used to criticize the Rules Committee for making myriad annual changes that required WinScore to be modified, introducing the potential (read: certainty) for bugs. It was like the Fed or Congress...
Forum: Soaring February 4th 19, 10:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Pending reduction in US MAT turnpoint radius

FWIW, it also "requires" changing the software for at least some flight computers. The radius may be configurable for some apps but for what I use, the default is 1 mile for ASTs. It's fairly...
Forum: Soaring January 13th 19, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mylar Not Sticking

This thread seems an appropriate time to note that properly applied and cared for Mylar seals can last a LONG time. When UH helped me refinish my then-26-year-old ASW 24 wings last winter, it was...