Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
World-Wide Soaring Turnpoint Exchange

If now's the time to pile on, I'll add my thanks to the unsung John Leibacher for his wonderful service for so many years. As with electric power, running water, and (yes) Internet connectivity, it's...
Forum: Soaring August 17th 18, 10:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What magic do the JS3 and Ventus 3 have that the ASG-29 Does not?

I was never much good at forecasting financial markets. So several months before delivery of my ASW 24 in late 1991, I began worrying that the exchange rate (D-mark) would move against me. So I...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 18, 09:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
15M/Open Class Nat's Uvalde, Contest Day 3

On Thursday, August 16, 2018 at 3:11:07 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Small task change for 15M making their distance 279miles. 15M gate opened at 14:10-Opens at 13:31

Thanks, Leigh, for...
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Perlan High Altitude Tow Plane

Not perfect, but a better effort than many articles I've read.

What a thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime adventure this must be for their entire family!

Chip Bearden
Forum: Soaring August 14th 18, 05:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer brake heating up

On Monday, August 13, 2018 at 8:45:05 PM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:
JB,

A long time ago, I had a similar problem with the tongue staying
collapsed. It turned out that there was a gas...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 10:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer brake heating up

Are you sure there isn't a bullet jammed in it?
Jim

Hahaha! Anything is possible. :)
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 07:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Just to close the loop: For the Midlothian Std. Nats, I configured a cruise page and a climb page, each of which maintains whatever zoom level(s) I set. I just toggled between the two manually...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 07:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer brake heating up

Bumping this thread to see what Eric found last year.

My Cobra brake jammed on after a hard stop on the way home from Midlothian last week. Couldn't free it up so disconnected the brake cables at...
Forum: Soaring August 13th 18, 06:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Flying with Parachutes

I feel a little exposed when I take a flight review in a 2-33 kwithout a chute. I've been wearing one to fly my single-seat gliders for 50+ years. Does that unease make logical sense? Probably not;...
Forum: Soaring August 3rd 18, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
U.S. Standard Class Nationals - Mike Westbrook leading DAY3 - FriAug 3rd no fly day

We took a vote and decided it wasn't worth watering and gridding unless the forecast was for clouds and at least 6 kts. You don't come to Texas to fly in East Coast conditions. :)

Seriously, most...
Forum: Soaring July 24th 18, 05:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
US team silence

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 12:09:46 PM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:
On Tuesday, July 24, 2018 at 7:15:29 AM UTC-7, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Imagine how whiny Kawa would be if he didn’t win.

Forum: Soaring July 23rd 18, 05:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glideplan for Windows 2.0 beta 6 Broken? - Can't print maps

The ancient copy of SeeYou that I use allows you to print maps using a Sectional Chart view. You can add the TPs (although they're difficult to see so I paste a small numbered label on each one). I...
Forum: Soaring July 18th 18, 09:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Home built trailer for old glass ship

Your preference for build vs. buy-and-modify will vary according to your skills, time available, materials available, used trailers for sale, etc.

The one constant is that if the trailer makes...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 10:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Brian,

Interesting stuff, especially about the color display and faster processor. I've noticed the Kobo is slower even than the Dell Streak 5 in some ways and I suspect that some of the uneven...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 05:30 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Galloway (P1)

Lots of memories of Ray going way back. He was, indeed, a true Southern gentleman with a dry sense of humor that he exercised often to general hilarity.

A few moments of comedy were unintentional,...
Forum: Soaring July 16th 18, 05:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Which ClearNav vario display?

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 10:21:12 PM UTC-4, OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net wrote:
I assume it is still the case that you have to pay an extra $600(!) for the XC license just to get the...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 05:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

See how easy that was? Spend your money now while you can enjoy it
rather than using it to pay someone else to wipe your chin when you
drool... Said with affection. ;-)

Taken....
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 05:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Which ClearNav vario display?

A circular needle tells you how strong the lift is (I used to have a pure netto vario in another glider and liked that a lot; a quick 2 kts offset gave me relative netto). But it also gives you...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 03:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Which ClearNav vario display?

Not sure of the question, but if it's which ClearNav VARIO display to use (and not comparing the vario's LCD display with the big ClearNav navigation tablet device), I'd love to have both. The...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 03:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ILEC SN10 v2.44 released

On Saturday, July 14, 2018 at 9:47:56 PM UTC-4, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Thanks for that 21 years Dave. None out there like you!

KS

Same. I've never actually bought one of Dave's SN10s...
Forum: Soaring July 15th 18, 02:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Top Hat Question (XCSoar?)

Fair enough on my past objections to GPS. :D They were, at the heart of it, primarily financial. I tossed an inexpensive handheld GPS receiver into the cockpit as soon as they were legal and happily...
Forum: Soaring July 14th 18, 12:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 4:59:00 PM UTC-4, kinsell wrote:
You mean it's all just included in the product? That ought to really
**** off Chip. 'Course lots of things seem to **** off Chip.
Forum: Soaring July 13th 18, 07:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 1:16:17 PM UTC-4, wrote:
CAI loggers were not a forced requirement. Many pilots used Volksloggers in that era.

You are correct that CAI loggers...
Forum: Soaring July 13th 18, 05:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cambridge GPS-NAV Aero Explorer error on log download

On Friday, July 13, 2018 at 11:13:21 AM UTC-4, Eric Foertsch wrote:
Thanks Kinsell for this and prior comment.

I guess I didn't notice (or forgot) that SeeYou produces a .cai file also..

Forum: Soaring July 12th 18, 07:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer aluminum vs fiberglass top

Whichever you don't buy will turn out to be better. :) I bought a fiberglass Cobra 26 years ago for my ASW 24 because I didn't want to deal with leaks between aluminum panels. Later Cobras seem to...