Forum: Soaring May 19th 20, 08:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

It has been done in Germany during WWII with military gliders. It was called "Hubschlepp". It was tested with a DFS 230 transport glider and a Junkers Ju 87 B-1 as a towplane. The system was very...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 20, 03:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ASK-13 with social distancing mod

Try this one for social distancing:

https://cevans.me/VINTAGE/Documentation/ASK-13/Cabrio/F-CEJJ-2.jpg
Forum: Soaring April 25th 20, 03:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bad Aviation Films

Yes, there were two TV series (one in the sixties, one in the eighties, if memory serves) based on the original comics. One of the sixties' episodes is famous because they filmed the...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 20, 07:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bad Aviation Films

My vote goes to "Les Chevaliers du Ciel" ("Sky Fighters" in the English version), a 2005 film by Gérard Pirès. Very good airplane scenes, filmed by the French Air Force without special effects...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 20, 03:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Decline of Soaring Awards

Le mardi 24 mars 2020 22:29:38 UTC+1, son_of_flubber a écrit*:
Maybe I'm the only pilot put off the entire badge system by the 5 hour duration flight. I'd surely get dull and bored after ~3.5...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 20, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for help with French trailer documents (contact information)

Le jeudi 20 février 2020 13:15:06 UTC+1, Eric Munk a écrit*:
May bge more cost effective to change the axle and towbar, and register as
a newly-built trailer...

This used to be an accepted...
Forum: Soaring February 19th 20, 08:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for help with French trailer documents (contact information)

Le mardi 18 février 2020 16:45:40 UTC+1, Senna Van den Bosch a écrit*:
Op dinsdag 18 februari 2020 13:37:52 UTC+1 schreef :
I think this is where you'll find the...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 20, 12:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for help with French trailer documents (contact information)

I think this is where you'll find the information you...
Forum: Soaring December 29th 19, 10:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

There is also another aspect of the question: I suppose the flight was scheduled to end well before the end of day.

Where was the glider when it became clear that the flight would end just after...
Forum: Soaring December 27th 19, 08:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

Le vendredi 27 décembre 2019 07:46:08 UTC+1, Surge a écrit*:
On Thursday, 26 December 2019 19:22:36 UTC+2, wrote:
Intrigued by this post, I went searching for the SA AIP...
Forum: Soaring December 26th 19, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

Of course, I meant "Where did you get the SR-15' SS+15' from?"
Forum: Soaring December 26th 19, 05:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAI ratifies records of illegal flights.

Intrigued by this post, I went searching for the SA AIP (http://www.caa.co.za/Pages/Aeronautical%20Information/Aeronautical%20Information%20Publication.aspx) to check what is called "day" in the...
Forum: Soaring September 30th 19, 04:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tail dolley wheels?

We had a Twin Astir whose tail boom was damaged around the mounting hole for the tail wheel; it happened due to the constant pounding of a hard rubber wheel without sufficient damping between the...
Forum: Soaring September 29th 19, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Standard Cirrus 1973 (Grob) no water ballast

According to my copy of "Segelflugzeuge vom Wolf zum Discus" by Peter Selinger, water ballast tanks were offered as an option by Schempp-Hirth since July 4th 1971. I suppose Grob followed the same...
Forum: Soaring August 15th 19, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mistral-C vs DG-100

Well, for the DG-100 you'll have to pay a subscription every year to get any service from the DG factory...

The Type Certificate for the Mistral C is now owned by Eichelsdorfer. You'll find the PDF...
Forum: Soaring June 8th 19, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
"Flying" your glider on the ground after a landout during athunderstorm or alternatives?

This is what you can do with a 70 km/h mistral:

https://youtu.be/fmVZodl5e6A
Forum: Soaring November 8th 18, 03:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Any news about the new 600kg Microlight/ultralight in Europe?

The regulation is now in force:

REGULATION (EU) 2018/1139 OF THE EUROPEAN PARLIAMENT AND OF THE COUNCIL of 4 July 2018 on common rules in the field of civil aviation and establishing a European...
Forum: Soaring October 19th 18, 08:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greatful for this group

Well, the "right answer" is probably not as clear cut as that. For example, the French "blue book" (the official glider training handbook in France) has stated for years that on final, you have to...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 08:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Duck Hawk

Le lundi 15 octobre 2018 19:01:24 UTC+2, kinsell a écrit*:

Windward seems to have minimal sales, apparently due to price.

-Dave

As far as I know, the Duckhawk is not certified and it is...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 18, 11:03 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Accidents resulting from medical issues

One of the bestg known examples, taken from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Johnson_(glider_pilot)#Death

"Dick Johnson died July 23, 2008, at age 85. He was flying a Ventus A glider...
Forum: Soaring September 11th 18, 08:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Glider Cockpit Safety

At the OSTIV meeting in Delft in 2007, a presentation was made before the delegates of Training and Safety Panel and Sailplane Development Panel by professor Antonio Dal Monte, the then Director of...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 18, 01:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Too many accidents

Le vendredi 7 septembre 2018 02:55:44 UTC+2, Roy B. a écrit*:

Think of Helmut Reichman, Klaus Holighaus , Bill Ivans and many other masters of our sport that are gone. Did they have a...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 18, 11:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Too many accidents

I don't think a high level of experience or competence will ever protect us against an insidious form of complacency that makes us sometimes forget the most elementary safety procedures. The...
Forum: Soaring July 5th 18, 01:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Opinions on NASA lift theory?

Just to add to the confusion: this is a video featuring Professor Mike Merrifield (University of Nottingham). Animation by Pete McPartlan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PF22LM8AbII

The "Sixty...
Forum: Soaring July 2nd 18, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emergency Exit

I had the opportunity to fly with a Ventus 2BXR (R for Recovery) at Saint-Auban (France). With that experience, I'd say a BRS in a glider is not a very practical solution as far as I'm concerned....