Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 04:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Scam I think!!!

Just because a genuine relative is in jail does not mean you're
obligated to bail him out.* I'd first ask, "Why is he there?", and then
decide if I was going to bail him out.* I'd also ask his...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Standalone artificial horizon

Quite the opposite, Mark.* The FAA does not ask if one is rated or
properly (legally) equipped.* They accept and process an IFR request.*
If one does not get into trouble following a clearance,...
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
How About Story Time

Yes, but it sure beats the alternative...

On 6/5/2020 5:41 PM, Neal Alders wrote:
You flatter me sir. Thank you! Makes me feel better after an afternoon of pulling 50 amp 6-3 wire for my RV...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 20, 04:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Nordicgliding.com is online!

Excellent new website!* Congratulations!

On 6/4/2020 3:51 AM, wrote:
Dear fellow Glider Pilots,

Just a quick message to let you know that nordicgliding.com is going live...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 20, 01:28 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
K2 battery endurance

I have one of THESE
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004LWTHP2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
which I used on the C-180 (24v system) and on anything else in the
hangar (12v...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 20, 07:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
K2 battery endurance

My Bioenno batteries worked just fine for several years.* Just sayin'...

On 6/2/2020 10:26 AM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 9:46:09 PM UTC-7, kinsell wrote:
On 5/25/20...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 20, 05:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

Which is worse - a broken glider or a dead tow pilot?

I only had one tow where I yanked the release but the rope had already
broken an instant before.

On 6/1/2020 6:31 PM,...
Forum: Soaring June 2nd 20, 05:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

Well done!

I had similar back in the 70s in my Air Force days.* I was flying a
contact check ride in a T-33a and my final maneuver was to be a short
field landing.* As I approached the base, the...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 20, 05:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Private airport or small field for landout?

You don't need to climb high enough to reach the next field.* A good way
to fly early cross country is to climb and go out on course. Keep the
field you left within reach as you climb and travel...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 20, 05:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Do you own an IMI Power Rigger?

Same thing on my former LAK-17a.* Taping the first wing keeps it in
place as the second wing is shoved home.

On 5/28/2020 6:56 PM, wrote:
@Tom/2G
"I need to come up with...
Forum: Soaring May 23rd 20, 12:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Not Gliding, But Flying, Sorta....

I've flown one that is similar and loved it.* Buzzing around at and
below 500' AGL gives a whole new perspective to flying.

On 5/22/2020 12:14 PM, wrote:
On Friday, May 22,...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 20, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Not Gliding, But Flying, Sorta....

I'm in the country south of Blum, TX where I've just completed my new
gyro plane kit.* Unfortunately, the as delivered brake master cylinder
was faulty, so I've had to tie the aircraft down for...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 20, 06:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What have we learned from all this?

Soaring?* What's that?* I'm in rural Texas.* Guess I'll start another
thread...

On 5/22/2020 6:49 AM, wrote:
Hot Tuna, now that was some good music. Dan I guess that just...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 20, 01:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What have we learned from all this?

Is that a Tuna joke, Mike?* Are you a fishist or simply a tunist?

On 5/21/2020 3:11 PM, Mike C wrote:
On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 10:10:38 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Whoever said...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 05:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
COVID-19 Operational Considerations

So...* Anyone who doesn't agree with you, regardless of the cause or
whether right or wrong, you attack?* Flat earth, GRATE, inject... I'm
surprised you haven't called him a racist yet.* Isn't...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 05:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Bad Aviation Films

I started this tread and forgot to mention one of the all-time greats in
bad aviation films:* "Iron Eagle".* After "An Officer and a Gentleman",
Louis Gossett, Jr. must have fallen on really bad...
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Favorite Aviation Films

Does the dialog have pregnant pauses and does Shatner screw the Bedouin
girl?

On 4/28/2020 9:35 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 7:20:10 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Forum: Soaring April 29th 20, 02:46 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

I've had two Rotax 912 seizures in a Pipistrel Sinus.* In each case I
was at or below 200' AGL.* In both cases I turned back and landed safely
without undue concern other than being extremely...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 20, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
COVID-19 Operational Considerations

Thirty seconds into the video and I'm laughing so hard I've got tears
running down my cheeks.* A lot of folks who watch this (and you know who
you are) will think that people with southern or mid...
Forum: Soaring April 28th 20, 04:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
mecaplex window

Wow!* $300 for a little plexiglass window.* I guess that, since we own
aircraft, we can afford expensive ****.

On 4/27/2020 9:52 PM, Charles Longley wrote:
Forum: Soaring April 28th 20, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Flarm picking up my transponder

I both agree and disagree with Tom.

The TN72 is not ADS-B in a certificated ship, TABS only there.* If your
ship is Experimental, TN72 works just fine as ADS-B Out. Configuration
takes all of 10...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 20, 03:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
COVID-19 Operational Considerations

My flying buddy declines my offer to pick him up.* Instead, his wife
will drive 2 hours to the airport, get his trailer, and go get him. I
told him I could get his trailer with my car, come, watch...
Forum: Soaring April 27th 20, 02:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Minimum acceptable self-launch climb rate

My Stemme gets 800 ft/min at 8,000' density altitude but it's
turbocharged. :-D If I'm repositioning for a safari or such, I climb
straight up to 18,000' MSL and cruise at 140 KTAS.* But it sure...
Forum: Soaring April 26th 20, 12:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Best Flight Of the Day NA

Not so good for me today.* Since I rode my Harley to the airport, I wore
jeans, which I haven't done for flying for years.* The wallet in my hip
pocket was pure torture and I had a cable come...
Forum: Soaring April 25th 20, 05:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
What have we learned from all this?

No, no, no, Jonathan.* It must be a UV light. :-D

On 4/24/2020 5:47 PM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
I have learned to do a daily Lysol cleanse then stick an incandescent up my ass, to stay...