Search: Posts made by: akiley
Forum: Soaring May 27th 16, 01:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Selecting landout airports

Thanks Bruce, I have done a lot of unassisted aerotow said with our STD Cirrus. And I do angle the ship in anticipation of the low wing causing a turn in that direction. We have very short grass...
Forum: Soaring May 27th 16, 01:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Selecting landout airports

Yes, that's a product I've been looking for. Ordered mine today. Might come in handy in Minden where I spend a week every year. Thanks for the tip.
Forum: Soaring May 26th 16, 04:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Selecting landout airports

Great advice. I'm planning to fly power and inspect some of the airports in question. Both the ships I fly are standard class CG hook.

Generally the paved strips I'm considering (with edge lights)...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 16, 01:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Selecting landout airports

I'm a member of a club that has marginal trailers for our ships. Because of this, and the multitude of small airports in our area, I usually just airport hop for cross country flights. We also have...
Forum: Soaring May 25th 16, 04:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Help me convince my wife..... :)

I also REALLY second the safety factor. (Likely to be a big selling point for wifie). Newer ships have more crash resistant cockpit designs, more spin resistant behavior and are likely to have some...
Forum: Soaring May 4th 16, 08:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
L-Nav question for anyone still using one

On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 3:31:08 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Wednesday, May 4, 2016 at 1:49:53 PM UTC-5, akiley wrote:
I just started flying an ASW-19b at our club that has an L-Nav,...
Forum: Soaring May 4th 16, 07:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
L-Nav question for anyone still using one

I just started flying an ASW-19b at our club that has an L-Nav, GPS-NAV, Vario combo installed. When I turn the unit on, I get the barro page. I can set the altimeter here but the Go button does...
Forum: Soaring November 26th 13, 03:37 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Soaring vacation this January or February?

I'm taking a trip to Minden, NV and renting from SoaringNV late January. They get a lot of wave days there. I think you are more likely than not seeing at least one soarable wave day a week, maybe...
Forum: Soaring October 31st 13, 04:13 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Gelcoat care

I though researched showed that waxing was not especially good for the performance of the wing. I recall testing associated with deturbulator tape, included findings of a wing surface sheen...
Forum: Soaring October 22nd 13, 03:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Places that I want to soar before I die

Moriarty, NM , yes LS4 and two seaters
Logan and Cedar Valley, UT area. I think it's slim pickens
Uvalde, Tx
Parawan, UT
Minden, NV they have awesome gliders to rent, LS4, ASW27, Duo Discuss,...
Forum: Soaring June 24th 13, 08:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
SUN GLASSES

Another option. I wear progressive glasses and I buy Solar Shield clip on, flip up pola sunglasses. (cheap on eBay but UV) Been renting power aircraft for 25 years, and I've rented lots of...
Forum: Soaring June 16th 13, 02:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Saint Auban aero chart

If you have an iPad, PC, big or Android tablet, you could try a free one month subscription to SkyDemon. It has various visual aviation charts of Europe including beautiful detailed visual airport...
Forum: Soaring June 1st 13, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Tales of soaring software + device crashes, wrong or misleadinginformation presented, and user errors?

I always bring 2 navigators with me. Have an older DroidX android and a new android both running XCSoar latest stable version. I found the #1 problem is the GPS view of the sky. I always get a few...
Forum: Soaring January 8th 13, 07:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Inside Cockpit Mounting of GoPro cameras ?

On Tuesday, January 8, 2013 9:37:56 AM UTC-5, Jim wrote:
I was very interested in the recent posts about using HD video cameras in soaring. Several examples were shot from what appeared to be...
Forum: Soaring January 8th 13, 05:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Condor Joystick/Rudder

On Monday, January 7, 2013 4:35:24 PM UTC-5, vontresc wrote:
As much as it pains me to part with my vintage Thrustmaster F16 FLCS,

throttle, and rudders, I think it's time to move into the...
Forum: Soaring January 6th 13, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

On Saturday, January 5, 2013 7:35:30 PM UTC-5, son_of_flubber wrote:
Does anyone have an example of a soaring video taken with a polarizing lens on the camera?

It's interesting how we...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 13, 08:38 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

Long ago I had reason to learn some motion picture matte-box tricks which might be adapted to this problem. If you positioned a neutral density gel in front of the camera lens with a cutout in the...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 13, 06:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

I haven't used the Replay, but I think it would be very difficult to look at two different videos, shot in different lighting and uploaded to youtube no less.... And be able to determine the...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 13, 04:35 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
St Auban or ?

Before this thread scolls into oblivion, I just wanted to add a few notes:

I've been trying to figure out ways to learn more about airspace and procedures for a first attempt at soaring in the...
Forum: Soaring January 5th 13, 03:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

I have a Canon DSLR (5D) that I used to just shot my computer monitor. (I was in a hurry) There are screen video capture apps that would have been much better. ... Aaron
Forum: Soaring January 5th 13, 04:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

On Friday, January 4, 2013 10:42:15 AM UTC-5, Bill D wrote:
I have no idea how it would be done but better video of instrument panels would be welcome. Most videos, most of the time, have the...
Forum: Soaring January 1st 13, 07:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Best HD Video Camera for Flight Videos

I use a GoPro 2 with remote back. I would recommend the GoPro 3 with built in wifi back. Pro video shooters are very impressed with the quality. If you have an Android phone or an iPhone you can...
Forum: Soaring December 27th 12, 03:37 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Split Finger Tips

Here in Michigan I get bad cracks and splits on my fingertips in the winter.. My INSTANT solution is Nexcare First Aid Tape. It's much cheaper at Meijer department store. (a Michigan only chain??)...
Forum: Soaring December 19th 12, 01:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
Overwhelmed by info options on Flt Computer

I primarily use XCSoar. Used to use SeeYou Mobile. Don't fly competition, but fly tasks and cross country a bit.

A few thoughts for XCSoar.

SETUP

-As others have said, make sure you have the...
Forum: Soaring December 16th 12, 03:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By akiley
St Auban or ?

On Saturday, December 15, 2012 3:46:33 AM UTC-5, Mike Oliver wrote:
I'm going to saySt Auban again. English speakers in the office, quite a few

instructors who speak reasonable English,...