Search: Posts made by: Papa3[_2_]
Forum: Soaring December 14th 17, 11:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Multiple varios

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 5:19:27 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
John:
This is a subject on which experienced glider pilots will disagree on. Many now use electronic instruments exclusively, in...
Forum: Soaring November 16th 17, 08:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Best consistent ridge soaring site

Not to get too persnickety on this subject, but I don't think it's true that there were more ridge days in the past. There are a lot more ridge-soarable days than folks realize in the...
Forum: Soaring November 16th 17, 06:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Best consistent ridge soaring site

I'll just echo what both Mike and Hank pointed out. Your first focus should be to find a site that has both ridge and ridge instruction. In addition to the ones already mentioned, don't rule out...
Forum: Soaring November 5th 17, 07:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
real world ac 5m performance?

Performance as in engine performance for self launch or glide performance as in XC capable? I don't have any time in the M version, but I have a couple of flights in the pure glider. It's actually...
Forum: Soaring November 3rd 17, 06:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Train Wreck

John,

I think you need to take a big step back and separate the goals/objectives from the execution. My suspicion is that many (most?) US competition pilots agree with the objective to send the...
Forum: Soaring October 30th 17, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
trailer frame

Ditto what JJ said. There was a syndicate that owned a PW5 at my field years ago. Their trailer was a square section with a huge cradle that rolled out the back with the glider. It probably...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 17, 04:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
air extractor for asw19 and asw20

IIRC (and I could be wrong) didn't the Mandl Extractor with DG predate Jonkers? At one point the Mandl was advertised as "patent pending" as well....
Forum: Soaring October 19th 17, 10:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Cup holder

This guy probably had a cup holder. https://youtu.be/V9pvG_ZSnCc
Forum: Soaring October 6th 17, 04:04 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
How to teach XC with lead/follow technique?

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 6:24:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Years ago, Erik Mann and some other folks ran a series of spring XC days at PGC (Philadelphia Glider Council) that...
Forum: Soaring October 2nd 17, 03:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
transfer/ doublesdied tape.

On Monday, October 2, 2017 at 9:59:41 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Applying heat helps a lot, I warm about 12" ahead with a heat gun, then roll the stickie up with my...
Forum: Soaring September 25th 17, 09:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
sunlight readable iphone

I was there at the very beginning when the ClearNav idea began to gel. On a particular flight, one (or both - I can't remember) of us were crossing the Susquehanna river on a ridge mission trying to...
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 17, 09:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
trailer painting

Oh yeah...that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydy927hIkHU
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 17, 03:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
trailer painting

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 10:20:28 AM UTC-4, Papa3 wrote:
You'll see several threads on this topic on R.A.S. There's definitely a "reward curve" as far as how much effort and cost you...
Forum: Soaring September 22nd 17, 03:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
trailer painting

You'll see several threads on this topic on R.A.S. There's definitely a "reward curve" as far as how much effort and cost you really want to put into an aluminum tube trailer. I'd argue that it...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 17, 02:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Condon does it again

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 7:10:33 PM UTC-4, MNLou wrote:
Tony Condon drove up to Ames IA (from Wichita, KS) to attempt a downwind dash.

He appears to have landed at Madisonville Muni in...
Forum: Soaring September 7th 17, 02:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Glider Pilot Makes Headlines

Glenn Fisher was the FO on this flight. He's an Aero Club Albatross (ACA) member and CFIG. "ACA, we never turn back". ...
Forum: Soaring September 6th 17, 08:28 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Motorglider Endorsement

Like many things in aviation, what you get depends a bit on what you ask for. I've been asked to do cockpit checkout on some gliders that I've never flown. I'm smart enough to know what I don't...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 17, 03:24 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
ASW27B prices falling

I got my 15M tips after the fact, and I think everything (tips, trailer wingtip holders, installation) cost close to $10K. Was it worth it? It opens up 15M competitions and it also makes it more...
Forum: Soaring August 16th 17, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
GlidePlan reviews

It's probably the easiest way to prepare maps for contests and other "away events" where you want to be able to do flight planning in detail. The three key features for contests: Current...
Forum: Soaring August 11th 17, 02:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Medical Cannula with EDS

Well, you could always economize by buying "lightly used catheters" to make up the difference. Problem solved. :-)
Forum: Soaring August 10th 17, 01:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Auto Towing a 1-26

Same inputs as the others. FWIW, my club had a pretty active auto-tow program with a big-block Oldsmobile wagon and a 2-22, 2-33, and 1-26. I probably had 30 auto tows while I was a student and...
Forum: Soaring August 4th 17, 08:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Don't miss New Castle VA R4S - Register Now!

Nah. I think watching someone die attempting a self launch from the shortish grass field with an uphill run and a 50 foot high tension line at the end is/was enough of a reason. It's one thing to...
Forum: Soaring July 24th 17, 07:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
glue to rebond rubber tailskid to LS6

Specifically - I highly recommend 3M VHB tape. Here's the product description:

4941 Family
This family utilizes multi-purpose acrylic adhesive on both sides of
a conformable adhesive foam core....
Forum: Soaring July 13th 17, 11:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
CAI Model 20 to OLC?

Hey Steve,

I was stupid enough to take the lead in trying to manage the process of getting the Legacy CAI workaround through the OLC folks back in 2012. I've been roped into a couple of problems...
Forum: Soaring July 10th 17, 05:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Papa3[_2_]
Wax, Teflon, Wx?

I'm sure the high volume repair shops would have a point of view, but in my experience as a part-time refinisher and occasional assistant to glass guys doing real repairs, the whole Silicon thing...