Search: Posts made by: Dan Marotta
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 19, 01:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
New Horten wing wing

Now that is just cool.

On 3/22/2019 11:19 AM, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Forum: Soaring March 21st 19, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Avare

Thanks, Tim.¬* I'll take a look!

On 3/20/2019 11:42 PM, Tim Taylor wrote:
Dan,

There is a Google group forum for Avare, apps4v. The link is off the Avare web page. The developers usually...
Forum: Soaring March 21st 19, 03:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Recirculate cockpit air to keep feet warm?

We've been wearing them for wave flying for a year or two with only
sneakers underneath.¬* They're terrific at keeping the feet warm.¬* I
don't think they'd be worth much for hiking, however.¬*...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 11:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Borgelt Dynamis variometer

Data derived from the Air Data Computer, part of the vario system which
has accelerometers, gps, pitot, static, total energy, and probably other
stuff.

On 3/20/2019 3:10 PM, Nick wrote:
What is...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Avare

The ADS-B in my glider is configured as Out/In, therefore, when my ADS-B
Out sends out its signal, the ground stations send back all of the
aircraft within my "hockey puck" of airspace.¬* I'm used...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
TOW PLANE Accident

It's like the angle of the floor or the water line.¬* Basically
level(ish) flight.

On 3/20/2019 12:38 PM, son_of_flubber wrote:
On Wednesday, March 20, 2019 at 12:24:28 PM UTC-4, Tango Eight...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 06:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Avare

After relooking at your post and the Avare help files, that doesn't work
for me.¬* All what you suggested did was to make my airplane symbol
disappear.¬* I need that to see the spatial...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 03:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Avare

Thanks!¬* Following those links to see what to do.

On 3/19/2019 7:15 PM, Duster wrote:
How to disable location display icon (own-ship display)
... on my location when I type the center icon...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 01:34 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Avare

My glider is equipped with ADS-B Out.¬* I use Avare in my glider as an
ADS-B In display.¬* Yesterday was my first test and I was dismayed to see
that my ship was displayed at the center of the...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 19, 01:23 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Salida, CO flying this summer?

A few years back a friend and I launched out of Salida and were unable
to return due to weather.¬* The clouds were down on the tops of the peaks
and we eventually landed out at Alamosa.¬* As we...
Forum: Soaring March 19th 19, 02:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
There is a new LXNAV user group on google groups

Does anyone remember the "good old days" when people could actually read
words and didn't need nondescript pictures on web pages to signify
something so simple as "Preferences"?

On 3/18/2019 10:32...
Forum: Soaring March 18th 19, 04:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Battery safety (againish)

I used LiFePO4 batteries in my former LAK-17a for about 3 years before
selling the glider.¬* I charged them out of the glider for the first year
and, thereafter, left them on the provided smart...
Forum: Soaring March 17th 19, 04:53 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

Hmmmmm...¬* I'd say either don't let your wife pull the trailer or else
have HER hook it up to the car. :-D

On 3/17/2019 2:12 AM, wrote:
"...how many of you have had a...
Forum: Soaring March 17th 19, 01:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Battery safety (againish)

Some, maybe all LiFePO4 batteries are made up of individual cells wired
together in series to make up the full voltage.¬* If that setup is simply
stuffed into a plastic case and not secured, things...
Forum: Soaring March 16th 19, 02:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Glider preparation for a competition

There's no reason you can't fly off the contest unless the sponsor
closes flying to everyone but contestants.¬* By all means, hang out,
observe, ask questions (without being intrusive), and then,...
Forum: Soaring March 14th 19, 04:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
FLARM and ADS-B and PCAS Traffic Display on PC

Hi Paul,

When the Flarm display screen in XCSoar, simply tap on the target in
question and you'll get full information.¬* This is IIRC...

Dan

On 3/13/2019 8:16 PM, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Ramy,
Forum: Soaring March 14th 19, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

I think Mike was responding to the "primitive units" comment.¬* I'll just
leave it there...

On 3/13/2019 9:02 PM, wrote:
And the winner in the Olympics Of RAS Thread Drift...
Forum: Soaring March 13th 19, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

Big Brother is watching...

On 3/13/2019 10:44 AM, wrote:
Il giorno martedì 12 marzo 2019 09:36:01 UTC+1, Tango Whisky ha scritto:

You seem to confuse Europe with Germany....
Forum: Soaring March 13th 19, 04:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Cobra Trailer Emergency Brake Experience

Not really the same issue, but I recall the retrieve of a 1-26 when the
car towed the loaded trailer through a ditch and the trailer became hung
up at both ends with the wheels suspended in the...
Forum: Soaring March 13th 19, 03:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Replacing a multi-probe socket

Oh, Jeez...

So now skin oil is suspect?¬* I learned about that little trick for
assembling and (especially) disassembling my fishing rod when I lived in
Alaska... :-D

On 3/12/2019 3:13 PM, Tango...
Forum: Soaring March 12th 19, 05:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
TOW PLANE Accident

Reaction was not an issue.¬* Surprise!¬* It got quiet.¬* Dump the glider
(no worrying that it was my wife flying - she can do this on her own).¬*
Pick out a field and steer that way.¬* Actually I'd...
Forum: Soaring March 12th 19, 05:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
TOW PLANE Accident

When I had the power loss mentioned earlier in this thread, my wife and
I pulled the releases almost simultaneously.¬* I did a "stick left, stick
right, release pull" and looked over my shoulder.¬*...
Forum: Soaring March 12th 19, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Replacing a multi-probe socket

Humidity difference?

On 3/11/2019 7:52 PM, Roy B. wrote:
Dan:
For some reason the O-Rings on my South African glider get really dry & stiff. We use a very light coat of silicone "plumbers...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 19, 08:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Replacing a multi-probe socket

That makes sense and I've never had to replace any of the o-rings. I was
just curious.

On 3/11/2019 11:15 AM, wrote:
On Monday, March 11, 2019 at 4:56:13 PM UTC, Dan Marotta...
Forum: Soaring March 11th 19, 05:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Dan Marotta
Replacing a multi-probe socket

Not being a mechanical engineer, could anyone enlighten me as to why the
o-rings are installed internally in the socket rather than externally on
the probe?¬* In either case the o-rings are getting...