Search: Posts made by: Roy B.
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 12:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
TOW PLANE Accident

Is it uncommon for tow ropes to break, rather than
a prescribed weak link. If this was a rare anomaly, is there
some logical reason for it happening?

We used the Tost reel system for many...
Forum: Soaring March 12th 19, 02:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Replacing a multi-probe socket

Dan:
For some reason the O-Rings on my South African glider get really dry & stiff. We use a very light coat of silicone "plumbers grease" on the probe about twice a year to fix that (petroleum based...
Forum: Soaring March 12th 19, 02:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
TOW PLANE Accident

I'm curious as to how many clubs or tow pilots have really trained and cut a glider loose?
[You are going to lose a tow rope every time you do that]

Most tow pilots have talked about it but never...
Forum: Soaring March 5th 19, 02:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Waxing and polishing

Going a bit off topic here, not really looking for materials or products, just want to know, is it worth it to wax and polish the glider? For example, keeping it in great condition, smooth and shiny?...
Forum: Soaring March 2nd 19, 07:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
LX 90XX User Group?

Does anybody know of an LX90XX user group online?
ROY
Forum: Soaring February 26th 19, 04:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Tow rope musings - informal survey

The regulation regarding maximum tow rope strength is primarily an American gliding phenomenon. In most other countries such a regulation does not exist and big thick ropes are used all the time and...
Forum: Soaring February 21st 19, 04:43 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
TOW PLANE Accident

Going back to the original purpose of this posting (help finding a towplane), there is a '76 Pawnee 235 for sale in Canada set up as a sprayer. Low time since overhaul. Expensive. Listed on...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 19, 02:48 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Affect of Alcohol (Beer) on Soaring and Soaring Racing

This discussion reminds me of All But My Life, the biography of the great racing driver Sir Stirling Moss, who reported that when young he was so focused on his driving fitness and winning that he...
Forum: Soaring February 20th 19, 02:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Disassemble an L-23 Fuselage?

Terry:
The L-23 has a spine seam on the top and bottom (aft of the main wheel) of the fuselage with fuselage halves built over bulkheads. There is not a clear "fore and aft" so much as there are...
Forum: Soaring February 16th 19, 02:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
ASW27 bell crank cover seals pdf

Does anyone have a digital drawing for the "U" shaped seals that cover the bell Cranks on the top of the 27 wing? Trying...
Forum: Soaring January 8th 19, 02:08 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Passing of Derek Piggott

In 1972 I was an undergraduate working in a library re-shelving books and there came into my hands a book with a picture of an elegant glider on the dust jacket. I had no knowledge of flying beyond...
Forum: Soaring January 2nd 19, 02:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Anyone test fly both the JS3 and the Ventus 3?

That is very interesting Aldo. They certainly do not like the V3 FES in 15m configuration. That is quite a performance penalty.
ROY
Forum: Soaring December 25th 18, 03:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
first Comp

Don't worry about the glider - get yourself in shape:

1) Practice setting a task on every flight, then fly that task, then analyze that flight on SeeYou. What could you have done better?

2) Try to...
Forum: Soaring October 30th 18, 09:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
SH Gear Doors Needed

Need a set of Gear Doors for a Duo Discus.
2 Place Nimbus 3 or 4 will also fit.
ROY
Forum: Soaring October 25th 18, 02:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

I suspect that another part of the problem is that the return on investment for refinishing is not dollar for dollar. In my experience, a quality refinish (and I have seen some good ones from both...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 06:04 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
ASG32MI water ballast

Jim:
The biggest advantage to gravity feed via the vent is that you can fill the tail after filling the wings. With fill through the dump valve you can't do that. Agreed that the dual tank in the...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 05:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
ASG32MI water ballast

Jonkers uses a modified garden sprayer that fills through the vent hole. You pump it and it squirts into the hole through a reduced hose. It works OK but it's another piece of stuff bouncing around...
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 04:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

Mike's post brings back some good old memories. I soloed at North Conway back in 1973 before the airport became a shopping center & condo. It was right next to the little ridge that was the Mt....
Forum: Soaring October 15th 18, 01:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
ASG32MI water ballast

Pier
I had this problem with my '29 but not as bad as your situation. I figured that something was blocking the tail vent tube. I used a device called a "baby aspirator" (used to gently clean snot...
Forum: Soaring October 13th 18, 03:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Thanks Richard - very interesting. I would like to know how much time (labor hours) each step is taking.
ROY
Forum: Soaring October 11th 18, 12:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

Cindy:
That is interesting, but wouldn't ATC want to divert high speed traffic away from the area below the glider in wave? That's a pretty big speed bump to hit at 500kts.
ROY
Forum: Soaring October 9th 18, 10:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Steve:
If you are going to do it (and you know I have my doubts) - a starting point might be to get the commercial ride operators to install video cameras and charge the customers extra for the video...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 04:32 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Hi Ramy:
Your issue about my data is a little besides the point I was making - but to answer your question I am in New England where I am a former SSA director and the Chief Pilot for the largest...
Forum: Soaring October 3rd 18, 03:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Cockpit video recording -- the time is now.

Steve:
let me briefly respond to your points - but in reverse order.

FLARM is an active and useful accident avoidance device - albeit at a cost. Yet everybody still resisted making it mandatory....