Search: Posts made by: Sam Spade
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules July 2nd 17, 05:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Aircraft slides for sale @ £1 each

On 6/29/2017 1:03 AM, wrote:
Vast selection of civil and military slides for sale at £1 each.

www.planeslides.com

Who has a slide projector these days?
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules June 24th 17, 09:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Shifting Isogonic Lines?

On 6/19/2017 1:51 AM, wrote:
Pretty neat seeing how old this discussion us, and pretty sad to see that people were expecting to have the VOR phased out by 2001. Here we...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules January 27th 15, 08:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Radio Protocol re "Flight Level"

On 1/26/2015 7:50 AM, wrote:
We just got "climb and maintain 18000" yesterday, which is why I am here now. I content that a clearance to 18000 means using local altimeter,...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 12th 14, 02:07 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
This Newsgroup is Dead

It has been taken over by an angry homo or two.
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules June 9th 14, 06:01 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Nav Comm Gear for the Group

This piece of avionics is as current as this group:

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa214/aterpster/1-Narco_Omnigator_MKII_zps429f78f1.jpg
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules May 30th 14, 01:51 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Is an LDA w/GS a "Precision" approach?

On 5/29/2014 1:48 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, September 5, 1999 3:00:00 AM UTC-4, David Stocker wrote:
I'm based in ROA and last flew the LDA 6 approach a couple of days ago. It's...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules January 12th 13, 09:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Where are VASIs located on a field ?

On 12/25/2012 3:26 PM, wrote:
Where are VASIs located on a field that doesn't have an ILS ? Is it a certain number of feet from end of runway ? Does it depend on runway length...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules July 13th 12, 12:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr,alt.california,alt.politics.immigration
Posted By Sam Spade
Mystery planes over Los Angeles this week

doughelo wrote:

This week (July 10 & 11 2012) I've seen large unidentified vintage aircraft flying south from Pasadena towards downtown Los Angeles, 2 or 3 motor, low wing, and slab-sided. The...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules July 6th 12, 12:40 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
flying LPV with Garmin G1000 & King KAP140 WAAS

wrote:
I'm a little new to this airplane and tried to fly an LPV approach on autopilot.

I had the approach activated and was outside the FAF at approx 30 degree intercept,...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 12th 11, 03:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr,sci.geo.satellite-nav
Posted By Sam Spade
Ipad compatible bluetooth GPS which has an external antenna socketand external pwr input?

macpacheco wrote:

Perhaps a
simplified certification procedure. One can wish.

Wish on.
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 7th 10, 07:27 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military
Posted By Sam Spade
OT Airliner Control Wheel

tscottme wrote:
727 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/27wh.jpg "297"
737 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/37wheel.jpg "495"

Can someone tell me what the conrol...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules August 18th 10, 02:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Bi-Ennual Flight Review (BFR) with ATC COMS - Video.

What's a Bi-Ennual Flight Review?

wrote:
Bi-Ennual Flight Review (BFR) with ATC COMS - Video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjRO3BoBPRA

I was rather ambitious on what I...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules May 1st 10, 05:48 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Unpublished GPS fixes on ILS approaches

Mark Hansen wrote:
On 5/1/2010 2:02 AM, Sam Spade wrote:

Sam Spade wrote:

Here is the official word from Garmin, with my commentary at the end:

snip

Seems like I wasted my...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules May 1st 10, 10:02 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Unpublished GPS fixes on ILS approaches

Sam Spade wrote:
Evan Salant wrote:

With the Garmin 430W (and presumably the 530 as well) when one flies
certain approaches the Garmin has you fly to fixes that appear nowhere
on the...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules April 27th 10, 12:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Evan Salant wrote:
With the Garmin 430W (and presumably the 530 as well) when one flies
certain approaches the Garmin has you fly to fixes that appear nowhere
on the published approach plate. ...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules April 24th 10, 04:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Unpublished GPS fixes on ILS approaches

That is a great manual. But, I fail to see where anything in it answers
the OP's question.

Jeppesen adds computer navigation fixes (CNFs) to many non-RNAV IAPs to
tie the procedure togeter for...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules April 2nd 10, 02:18 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Grounded!

RG wrote:
In article ,
Sam Spade wrote:

brian whatcott wrote:

For those who managed to escape all notice that the paper FAA...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules April 1st 10, 11:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
Grounded!

brian whatcott wrote:
For those who managed to escape all notice that the paper FAA
certificates were being turned over to plastic cards, as publicized for
the last two years: your paper...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 19th 10, 01:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

What I cited is indeed for the approach designer. But, some of it good
"background" info for pilots.

Padraig wrote:
It would be nice to have a flight engineer figuring this out if I need
to...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 18th 10, 02:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

Padraig wrote:
Bob, sorry, substitute TDZ with MAP. My point is that generally a VDP
is measured from the end of the runway (beginning of TDZ) which is
often where the MAP is (on RNAV...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 16th 10, 02:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

Padraig wrote:

One of the big take-aways from this back-and-forth that surprised me
was that no one talked about Visual Descent Points (VDPs), charted or
otherwise. The point of a VDP is to...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 16th 10, 02:17 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

Padraig wrote:

Gents,

Thanks for the responses. Sorry to have incited such an argument.

Sam, just curious, did you talk to FAA folks (friendlies, as you put
it)? Thanks for the info....
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 16th 10, 02:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

VOR-DME wrote:

For what it is worth, I am instrument rated, and current, and I am with Sam
on this one. You are indeed expected to know what your ground speed is on
final, within a...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 16th 10, 02:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

wrote:

On Mar 13, 9:25 am, Sam Spade wrote:

wrote:

On Mar 13, 8:30 am, Sam Spade wrote:

Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 13th 10, 03:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Sam Spade
KJZI (Charleston Executive, S.C.) ILS RWY 9 DME Required

wrote:

On Mar 12, 1:42 pm, Sam Spade wrote:

This is what I was taught for what it's worth.

Not worth much, sadly.