Search: Posts made by: Roy B.
Forum: Soaring August 6th 20, 04:01 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Bailout and survival kit

In my bailout/landout kit: Pencil, pen, notepad, small pack of kleenex, butane lighter, Leatherman tool, cell phone charger & cord, Tylenol, anti diarrhea pills, Tost ring, sunscreen, bug repellent,...
Forum: Soaring July 29th 20, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Mid Week Towing Availability

With the contest season a bust this year I am thinking about taking the glider on a road trip to someplace in the US where I can fly for a week or more. So - can we please start a string here about...
Forum: Soaring July 27th 20, 03:33 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Mecaplex slider vent with circular pop-out

Mike:
The same round airscoop is used on the Puchacz (and perhaps other SZD gliders). You might try Solaire in Canada or other people who carry SZD parts.
ROY
Forum: Soaring July 21st 20, 01:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
glass tube fuses

Does anybody know the correct nomenclature for the small size glass tube fuses that the manufacturers put in the panels of the newer gliders? I need to order a couple of 2A spare fuses and I am not...
Forum: Soaring July 17th 20, 02:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Piper Pawnee Rear View Mirrors

We have owned 3 different Pawnees (all 235s and one a full Hutch conversion) and I've towed extensively in 5 or 6 other ones, so I have a few suggestions: 1) the best mirrors are either mounted on...
Forum: Soaring July 11th 20, 12:43 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
eccentric wing pin tool

I have a Nimbus 2 that is a bitch to get the wings in the last 15ml/ half inch even with everything aligned correctly on the marks.

Gary:
Carefully examine the surfaces of the spar butts and the...
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 20, 06:50 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
New group format

Jon:
I just found this posting. Apparently we were shifted into what they call "beta" style:

"If you’re using new Groups, you can go back to classic Groups any time. When you go back to classic...
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 20, 06:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
New group format

It was one of the top or top right "settings" buttons as I recall.
Roy
Forum: Soaring July 3rd 20, 05:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
New group format

Jon:
I had the same issue and I rooted around until I found a button that said "classic Setting" or something like that. Pressed that and it went back to normal. Sorry - I don't remember where it...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 02:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

Gotta watch out for those "pesky park rangers, Yogi".

Well BooBoo, that's one answer. But smaller registration numbers on the Cub would have helped, too.
ROY
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

So motoring down a ridge is infraction if hikers are there ?????

That is correct. read FAR 91.119 (c):

"Except when necessary for takeoff or landing, no person may operate an aircraft...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 01:33 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

"Have I missed something.... I notice on yesterday's OLC that he posted a flight on OLC in his 27."

A suspension usually begins 30 days from the date of the order.
Roy
Forum: Soaring June 28th 20, 03:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

The sad part about this is that while the suspension ends after a few months the effect of it goes on forever in insurance applications ("Have you ever had any enforcement actions?"), in Glider club...
Forum: Soaring June 14th 20, 04:49 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Commodious Rodent Entrance in Grob 103

Old fashioned method that still works:
Partially fill a couple of old socks with regular naphthalene mothballs and put the socks inside the cockpit and wings. Mice hate the smell and go away. Of...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 20, 07:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

David,
I agree with you that "intuitively, landing at an airport is safer than a land out" but the reason I challenged your statement that ""did you know that nearly 50% of glider landing fatalities...
Forum: Soaring June 3rd 20, 01:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

David:
What is the source or reference for this statement?

"did you know that nearly 50% of glider landing fatalities happen during off-airport landings"

I've studied glider accidents for years...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 20, 01:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Problem with OLC Saturday 5-30?

Also - When I posted my flight yesterday I didn't get the typical canned " Thank you Your Flight has been posted successfully" email - and the flight is shown without the usual terrain background. ...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 20, 03:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Problem with OLC Saturday 5-30?

Everybody in the US is scored zero right now .
Go to Daily score, North America, USA and you see all of the flights with zero.
Roy
Forum: Soaring May 31st 20, 01:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

I have had lots of experience with this flying gliders in New England where there is much controlled airspace. I have found that a lot depends on whether you sound (on the radio) like you know what...
Forum: Soaring May 29th 20, 04:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

Tim:
I owned a "C" model (fixed gear) in a syndicate for many years. I went to it with many hundreds of prior hours hours in other flapped gliders so it was hardly my first ship. But this is what I...
Forum: Soaring May 28th 20, 03:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
SCHWEIZER 1-26 or 1-35

Try: https://www.klsoaring.com/

ROY
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 05:13 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Private airport or small field for landout?

Amen to Evan's comments about airports. And - don't believe contest databases about what is an "airfield" either. Last year at the Hobbs 18m Nationals I was faced with a doubtful final glide into...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 01:41 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Open 2-Seater Trailer F/S with possible immediate delivery

Thanks Mike - I've been in touch with Steve and we will meet up here tomorrow.
ROY
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 01:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Private airport or small field for landout?

Just curious - would you really have to explain your decision-making to an insurance adjuster? Could they deny a claim due to a bad choice?

The answer is "No" - we buy insurance in part because we...
Forum: Soaring May 26th 20, 03:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Roy B.
Open 2-Seater Trailer F/S with possible immediate delivery

Mike:
Can you confirm that the trailer will be coming to Boston this week? We need a trailer for our Puchacz here in Mass.
ROY