Forum: Soaring August 26th 18, 02:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
How high does your club tow?

Our Club is reworking towing height fees. We are based south of Denver (elevation 7,000' msl). Normal tow heights are to about 9,000-10,000' msl. We have new members who now are asking for tows to...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 18, 01:49 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Emergency Exit

Dan,

As you said, "Not to change Dave's thread on leaving the Arcus," On every flight, we have training opportunities.

I like your comment to make "every exit after a flight a simulated exit."...
Forum: Soaring March 20th 18, 10:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Recommendations for cataract surgery lenses for flying

Cataract surgery increases the chance of retinal detachment. If the doctor says to wait a few weeks before flying, consider waiting a bit extra.

Raul Boerner
Forum: Soaring February 24th 18, 01:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for Dennis Gallotti low-altitude visual effects letter

Just a few months ago there was a training article in SOARING magazine on pivotal altitudes. If this is what you are...
Forum: Soaring February 24th 18, 01:44 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for Dennis Gallotti low-altitude visual effects letter

Just a few months ago there was a training article in SOARING magazine on pivotal altitudes. If this is what you are thinking about, although not the author you are looking for, it is about how...
Forum: Soaring November 2nd 17, 12:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

Posted question: "Why would factory/sales reps not post pictures and information like this regularly is a mystery to me?"

"Mystery" is putting it kindly. You are being a gentleman.

:)

In my...
Forum: Soaring October 31st 17, 11:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

Your question: How much will they be asking for the GP 15 JETA self launcher?

My answer: I may be the wrong person to answer, but I can tell you several facts about my purchase five months ago. The...
Forum: Soaring October 31st 17, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

Here goes, my first forum photo post:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dbnw3xbe12821uc/AAD1bzwpWREX-TA72IcjUehPa?dl=0&m=
Forum: Soaring October 30th 17, 09:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

On Monday, October 30, 2017 at 1:28:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Wow, that is really cool! Did you take any pictures?

I'm very interested in the company's products. The self-launching...
Forum: Soaring October 30th 17, 02:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders

My September 2017 visit to GP Gliders:

Poland is a beautiful country, especially in early September. The purpose of this trip was to meet CEO Jerzy Peszke and tour the GP Gliders facility. The...
Forum: Soaring October 20th 17, 12:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
What is your club doing to recruit new contest pilots?

On Wednesday, October 18, 2017 at 9:48:56 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Just curious... what is your club doing to recruit new contest pilots?

Our Club, Black Forest Soaring Society, is...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 17, 02:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Cobra

Bumper,

You asked for feedback: I have a 1989 Cobra trailer with the smaller extruded aluminum railing. The SRS did not fit inside the rail.

After speaking with you, and being pleased with your...
Forum: Soaring August 5th 17, 01:57 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
The Cobra

Bumper,

You asked for feedback: I have a 1989 Cobra trailer with the smaller extruded aluminum railing. The SRS did not fit inside the rail.

After speaking with you, and being pleased with your...
Forum: Soaring July 19th 17, 09:09 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fun Cobra trailer conversions?

During the Nephi OLC event, we set up chairs inside the open Cobra trailer. It was very comfortable to sit underneath the opened canopy, protected from the burning sun.

Someone mentioned that pilots...
Forum: Soaring March 21st 17, 06:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Confor foam cushions - firmness?

Comfort is good, but safety is primary. I received a back injury from a hard landing; at that time, there was only one inch of Blue Foam under me. Cumulus-Soaring's website promotes proper cushioning...
Forum: Soaring February 11th 17, 07:19 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cobra trailer lettering paint?

Steve,

For what it's worth, my Cobra lettering is a decal. I can't address the painted-on question, but I can say that I had a printing shop duplicate the font and size. I removed the old decal...
Forum: Soaring November 21st 16, 04:27 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Short video of a young pilot on his first glider solo flight

Hello Tom,

After reading your comment about two hands versus one, I had a good conversation with my 14-year old student, today. We talked about adversity and how to handle it. So, from your comment...
Forum: Soaring November 21st 16, 01:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Short video of a young pilot on his first glider solo flight

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 11:16:23 AM UTC-7, Sean wrote:
Cool. I just think this kind of thing should be shared openly. YouTube will not restrict you for the music FYI. YouTube will...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 16, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Short video of a young pilot on his first glider solo flight

On Sunday, November 20, 2016 at 8:37:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Hi Raul, I have a young student 15, about his size that I have been training along with other instructors. He has some...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 16, 04:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Short video of a young pilot on his first glider solo flight

What did our 14-year old do today? Well, I'm heading out to the field for our lesson. After reading a good article about stall training versus stall-avoidance training, we'll discuss that. Also,...
Forum: Soaring November 20th 16, 04:05 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Short video of a young pilot on his first glider solo flight

Sean, the reason for having a password protected video has to do with the music. Public source music does not require permission to use, but selection is limited. The music in this video is still...
Forum: Soaring November 19th 16, 05:07 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Short video of a young pilot on his first glider solo flight

This 4-minute video is of our youngest member of the Black Forest Soaring Society on his first solo flight. We are based between Denver and Colorado Springs, CO.

https://vimeo.com/191745312

Case...
Forum: Soaring November 19th 16, 05:00 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Short video of 14-year old glider solo student

https://vimeo.com/191745312

This video was taken in October, 2016. It is of a 14-year old Black Forest Soaring Society member on his first solo flight. He started driver's education classes a...
Forum: Soaring November 14th 16, 09:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

Tim,

I had 35 hours total glider time at the purchase of my 1-35. The flap-issue was a non-issue for me largely because of my powered plane experience. Whether or not a glider has flaps should not...
Forum: Soaring October 7th 16, 05:15 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Looking for Russia AC-4C Flight Manual

Bruce,

At first I was afraid to click on the links, thinking it might be something special from Russia. But those nesting dolls would make for a very funny training session.

Raul