Search: Posts made by: Jonathan St. Cloud
Forum: Soaring Yesterday, 04:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Soaring Spot

One really nice thing about Soaring Spot is the ability to download tasks directly from the website. How many pilots have entered a task incorrectly? And why again does the US have different rules...
Forum: Soaring May 22nd 18, 10:22 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Soaring Spot

Just curious why US contests don't use Soaring Spot?
Forum: Soaring May 21st 18, 03:15 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Glide computer in certified glider

Hey Tom, Darryl, his knowledge and time freely given, are gifts to the soaring world. Why not just stop, please. This conversation has run it's course, went off the road, through a ditch and hit a...
Forum: Soaring May 21st 18, 04:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
LxNav USB hub?

Finally got around to setting up the Wifi on the LXNav. Turns out both of the below listed USB hubs worked fine, allowing both the Wifi and the extra USB port to upload or download data.

One...
Forum: Soaring May 15th 18, 02:31 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Reducing collision hazard at contests

As quoted from report :
"Although task separation, longer distance tasks and use of AAT can all encourage greater sep- aration between gliders, it is well-known that none of these factors are...
Forum: Soaring May 14th 18, 04:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Spot or InReach ??

As a former mountain guide, I consider the compass somewhat useless, unless you are orienteering or in the "farmland in Minnesota" or any of the other flat, feature challenged, terrain, TX, OK,...
Forum: Soaring May 13th 18, 04:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Spot or InReach ??

My gen 3 spot sends and logs altitude data. Also sends battery status.
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 04:51 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Spot or InReach ??

On Friday, May 11, 2018 at 6:31:45 AM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Reliable coverage is a feature of InReach which SPOT will unlikely equal, unless they change satellite systems.
After switching to InReach,...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 03:42 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Iran and GPS etc

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 6:08:15 PM UTC-7, wrote:
GPS testing is done from several military bases and that testing can and does involve skewing of signals, denial of service...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 03:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Glide computer in certified glider

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 7:05:46 PM UTC-7, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Tom

You are a first class idiot who likes to hear himself talk. I think people her can weigh your advice at face...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 01:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Iran and GPS etc

They have "promised" not to turn off.

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 4:50:19 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
Don't forget that GPS is a US military system.Â* It was not developed at
great tax payer...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 18, 12:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Spot or InReach ??

6.5x 2.9 x 0.9 inches 7 oz Look at REI's web site

On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 4:06:49 PM UTC-7, Ron Gleason wrote:
On Thursday, 10 May 2018 16:12:13 UTC-6, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
New...
Forum: Soaring May 10th 18, 11:12 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Spot or InReach ??

New data:

https://www.findmespot.com/spotx/lander.php?utm_source=Press_Release&utm_medium=Link&utm_campaign=SPOTX_PR
Forum: Soaring May 8th 18, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Spot or InReach ??

My Spot renewal has come up, but not charged. Called Spot tried to get some info on their new device. Couldn't even find out if one would need a different data plan to access the two-way features. ...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 18, 10:08 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Soaring not compatible with modern society?

I have also noticed that many outlanding sites in the west where I could land an ASW-24, I could not, without damage, land an 18 meter ASG-29.

Airports are best.

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at...
Forum: Soaring May 7th 18, 08:18 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Soaring not compatible with modern society?

When I was flying my Nimbus4, I used airports as alternates. I really did not want to risk putting that bird anywhere and in over 400 hours, virtually all XC time, I never put it in a field, other...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 05:20 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Soaring not compatible with modern society?

I was in San Diego that day, about 5 miles from the crash site. I will never forgot the loud boom of the 727 hitting the ground and blowing up! It could be heard throughout the city! It was a...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 02:42 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Why no "situational awareness" (collision avoidance) apps forcell phones?

What are you using for data to come up with your "conclusion" that "the collision odds with be about the same"? Let me guess, no data, just a feeling?

If I am reading these posts correctly, you do...
Forum: Soaring May 5th 18, 01:53 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Why no "situational awareness" (collision avoidance) apps forcell phones?

On Friday, May 4, 2018 at 2:48:56 PM UTC-7, jfitch wrote:
I am beginning to wish that the SSA required PowerFlarm for all competition.....
It's a bad feeling for a libertarian, but where personal...
Forum: Soaring May 4th 18, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Daily Inspection Training Videos from Gliding Australia

Thank you very much for sharing this.

On Thursday, May 3, 2018 at 11:43:43 PM UTC-7, Justin Couch wrote:
The GFA has released our just completed video series on The Daily Inspection. Here in Oz,...
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 18, 08:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Notable Power Flarm saves - Is it 'worth it'?

Air-avionics also markets their VT-01 transponder as having ADS-B out capability, but it does’t! Be careful purchasing air-avionics anti-collision equipment, at least for US market..
Forum: Soaring May 3rd 18, 08:45 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
SSA WEBINAR

Wanted to give a shoutout to the guys who devoted their time and expertise to the SSA webinar!
Thanks
Forum: Soaring May 2nd 18, 08:21 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Recovery by Spot

Many times in crashes, batteries become disconnected so things like radios do not work. This is why Spot/InReach are great as they have their own power source and leave a bread crumb trail.

On...
Forum: Soaring May 1st 18, 08:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Attitudes & Reality

At cloud base you have violated FARs. How many Western pilots actually know and adhere to cloud clearance regulations above 10,000ft?

111 1,000 ft below; 1,000 above and 1 sm horizontal

Forum: Soaring May 1st 18, 03:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By Jonathan St. Cloud
Attitudes & Reality

On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 7:42:53 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
.....Â* Remember when seat belts in
cars cost extra, ...
Dan, 5J

No, I don't.