Search: Posts made by: Karl Striedieck[_2_]
Forum: Soaring June 15th 21, 12:14 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SN10 Question

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 3:55:36 PM UTC-4, JulietUniform wrote:
Thanks John,
Yes, I isolated the TE system and used a very small “mini” aquarium pump. I’m afraid I have damaged an...
Forum: Soaring April 3rd 21, 04:32 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bus rides at R2.

The KS Duo has openings May 26-29 for gibs interested in contest flying. The site is Mifflin County Airport in central PA.

Karl Striedieck 814 237 7996 or karls at uplink.net
Forum: Soaring January 10th 21, 10:02 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2021 Eagle Field Winch School

Five three-student ground launch clinics will be offered this year. The flying is done on one day of a weekend (depending on weather) on the following dates: May 1-2 (filled), June 5-6 (one opening)...
Forum: Soaring June 28th 20, 02:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
FAA suspends Bruno Vassel's Pilot Certificate

Thanks for the report Bruno. I'd bet my (so far unnoticed) "infractions" exceed yours by a factor of 10.

Also thanks for the countless hours and hassle you contribute to the sport.

One observation...
Forum: Soaring June 16th 20, 09:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Parachute Static Line?

I've used static lines for 40 years that connect the D ring on the parachute to the factory provided connection in the ship. Could make a difference if you bang your head going out or can't find the...
Forum: Soaring May 19th 20, 04:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

Here is a link to a drawing and BGA approval of the automatic upset release engineered by Richard Greene:

http://karlstriedieck.com/Automatic_Tow_Release_1980.pdf
Forum: Soaring May 19th 20, 03:06 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

Richard Green of the Wycombe Test Group, High Wycombe, Bucks. UK designed and tested an auto release and offered to sell me one back in 1980. His long hand letter to me said that he was "an old age...
Forum: Soaring May 19th 20, 02:50 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KGARS - Kiting Glider Automatic Relase System

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:38:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
KGARS – Kiting Glider Automatic Release System

About 10 years ago I assembled an auto tow hitch that utilized a TOST...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 20, 01:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fatal Towplane Accident 5-9-20

There are a few things that will make the Schweizer release a safer mechanism.

1 Inverting the release will eliminate all friction in the actuation.

2 Tow plane's release lever should be instantly...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 20, 03:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Winch School

One slot is open for the May2/3 winch school at Eagle Field. One day required which will be determined by weather.

See karlstriedieck.com for details.
Forum: Soaring April 11th 20, 03:59 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Spratt

The teenager's dad had thought Charlie's towing rates too high so arranged for the kid to haul the trailer along with Charlie towing another. The kid left Charlie in the dust on I-10 going west, and...
Forum: Soaring April 10th 20, 11:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Spratt

Too many Charlie stories to pick one - but.

One night there was window rattling crash from upstairs, and when asked about it Charlie said he fell out of bed.

Or one of the numerous glider delivery...
Forum: Soaring April 10th 20, 03:03 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Spratt

John Good wrote a beautiful obit for Charlie Spratt in the June 2009 issue of Soaring. Charlie left us April 10th that year. Good start Good finish!
Forum: Soaring February 25th 20, 07:54 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ground Launch Training - Winch and Auto

At Eagle Field in central Pa we offer five winch launch classes per year.

See karlstriedieck.com

A side benefit is the exposure to the challenging approach and landing conditions which pilots...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 20, 02:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Ritter ifo

On Monday, February 17, 2020 at 8:30:12 PM UTC-5, Karl Striedieck wrote:
Anyone out there have contact info for Dave Ritter, ASW-20 owner and former PSU student(until about 2016)?

He set up...
Forum: Soaring February 18th 20, 01:38 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mecaplex canopy window lube

It's not difficult to remove the two tracks and siding window, and then clean the tracks, swab some vaseline in the tracks and reassemble.

KS
Forum: Soaring February 18th 20, 01:30 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Ritter ifo

Anyone out there have contact info for Dave Ritter, ASW-20 owner and former PSU student(until about 2016)?

He set up the Mifflin Soaring Asso. website which went MIA and we need his help in...
Forum: Soaring February 7th 20, 02:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Aero Club Albatross | Risky Ridges! | Seminar Videos

If anyone would like a copy of the notes that go with "Good Ridge Gone Bad" send a request to: karls at uplink.net
Forum: Soaring January 18th 20, 11:31 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Schleicher cockpit

Since retiring from Schleicher Gerhard and Tilly have lived in Bavaria in the Alps. He is still his ebullient self and stays active with OSTIV, although he hasn't flown for years.

The extra kilos...
Forum: Soaring January 18th 20, 09:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Schleicher cockpit

I called Waibel a couple weeks ago to chat and congratulate him for the Lilienthal medal he recently received from OSTIV for his leadership in making gliders more crash resistant. The curved rear...
Forum: Soaring January 17th 20, 03:22 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Women's Worlds

Sarah had her hands full with those two French pilots. They had practiced a lot together, they flew welded wing and their team coach was world champion Eric Napoleon.

Sarah was the best individual...
Forum: Soaring January 17th 20, 01:59 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Women's Worlds

Last day cancelled. We have a world champion!!!!!
Forum: Soaring January 16th 20, 06:34 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Women's Worlds

And here's the nearest (25 miles) TAF/METAR: https://en.allmetsat.com/metar-taf/australia.php?icao=YSTW

Showers, smoke and low clouds all day
Forum: Soaring January 16th 20, 01:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Women's Worlds

Pray for rain!!!!!

The next to last day was cancelled for rain and the last day is forecast to be hopeless as well. Rain dance scheduled here.

Organizers are discussing changing awards to a day...
Forum: Soaring January 4th 20, 12:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Women's Worlds

SHE SCOOOORRRRREES! Sarah Arnold clobbered the field on the first day at the Women's Worlds in Australia.